The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in the process of building a carved archtop.

I thought I might be able to get some feedback, before I start the neck, on the pro's and con's of shaping the neck with an asymmetric profile.

Cheers
    Andy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's always comes down to personal taste and preference. I know many of the newer High Performance Les Paul's have slim asymmetric profile. You might want go to a dealer and try it out first. Also EVH guitars have smaller assymetric shape as well.
    For me I prefer larger fatter vintage shapes on Gibson's and early Teles.

User Info Menu

I'll tell you what. "On paper", the asymmetrical neck profile sounds odd to me. BUT. I played one of those Brad Paisley teles, the silver sparkle Fender ones, and it has an asymmetrical neck profile. It's one of the best-feeling necks I've EVER played. If it had 22 frets (a personal thing with me, on teles anyway), I would have bought it.

User Info Menu

I had an assymetrical neck on my Holst which I played from about 2011 to 2013. I liked it, but then I started playing an Andersen which had a regular symmetrical neck and I've stuck with symmetrical necks ever since. I'm a "thumb behind the neck" player (rather than a thumb around neck or poking out from back of neck) player so for me it doesn't really make a difference but I could see how for some players the assymetrical would be nicer.

User Info Menu

Warmoth's Wolfgang and SRV necks are asymmetric:
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Neck Profiles

I have a Strat with Warmoth's Wolfgang profile. I like it because my left hand is almost always in the "thumb behind the neck" position. I don't know how comfortable it'd be for someone who relies on thump fretting.

User Info Menu

One of my guitars has an asymmetric neck. I cannot see the asymmetry and since I cannot compare it to its symmetric self; I cannot feel (or hear) the asymmetry. I just believe its asymmetric because the manufacturer says it is.

Bottom line: It probably doesn't matter...or maybe it does...It's a very nice guitar, but I got other nice guitars with ordinary symmetric necks.

(Chances are you'll find asymmetric necks on guitars with compound radius fretboards and many of those also got a wide nut; these are design elements one definitely can feel.)

User Info Menu

I love asymmetrical necks! I got hooked on them when I worked at EB/MM (about 15 years ago now) and try to find them when possible. They're not that easy to find though. I have one of the Warmoth Wolfgang necks and my Heritage H535 neck is a bit asymmetrical, though I don't think that's by design.
    A carved archtop with an asymmetrical profile would be sweet!

User Info Menu

My National Resophonic Tricone has an asymmetrical neck profile (soft V) and it's very comfortable.