The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Just installed the Lollar.
    Here's what it sounds like:

I think I like the Kinman better.
    But my ears aren't exactly fresh anymore...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kinman is better to my ears. Much better! Sounds more like old Guild humbuckers- clear and chimey . Lollar is ok, but is a little muddy, more like Gibson, I guess...

User Info Menu

To my ears, the Kinman is brighter with more clarity but thinner. At least in the solo context, I preferred the Lollar. I liked the added warmth and I thought it made the guitar sound fuller. In the context of a band mix, I might respond differently. They both sound very nice.

User Info Menu

Years ago I wrote an email to sadowsky about the same issue and they respond me very quickly.
    The original pickups i ts a dimarzio 36 anniversary bridge position (at the neck)

Congrats for the New axe!

User Info Menu

I have the mounted version of the Shadow. Lemme say, with a stone pick, and the guitar set to almost full treble... You can still get some beautiful sounds with the pup. I got it in my 803 Eastman, and weoooooow! If anyone else is curious PM me and I'll send you how it sounds.
    Last edited by Irez87; 09-10-2015 at 10:17 PM.

User Info Menu

The Lollar wins for me too.

User Info Menu

I agree with Jim's comments above especially regarding the usage. That said, they both sound pretty good and you should be able to dial in some fullness with your amp controls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    To my ears, the Kinman is brighter with more clarity but thinner. At least in the solo context, I preferred the Lollar. I liked the added warmth and I thought it made the guitar sound fuller. In the context of a band mix, I might respond differently. They both sound very nice.
    I played the guitar in a band and the Lollar worked very well. I'll stick to it for now.
    I like them both too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ggjay
    I played the guitar in a band and the Lollar worked very well. I'll stick to it for now.
    I like them both too.
    I'm glad to hear that it's working out. There has been some disagreement on this board recently about the effect of pickup changes but I think getting the right pickup for the job can be very effective. The Lollar Imperial is a fine pickup and a I think a good choice for this guitar.

User Info Menu

Re: changing pups

I changed my bridge and paid $500 to get a custom bone and ebony bridge made specifically for my Eastman 803. I also drove 3 hours (each way) to the luthier who did the work (he did an amazing job of it).

My coworkers call me crazy.

Fellow guitar players call me mad and wasteful

But, you know what, I love the sound I get outta the guitar now. And it's unique to me. And I seem to be the only one who can get a nice sound outta my axe (the way I want it to sound).

So, if it sounds good to you and you are dedicated to your craft, go for it. Just make sure you're not totally broke after the endeavor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    And I seem to be the only one who can get a nice sound outta my axe (the way I want it to sound).

Well, you had me until you said that...maybe...just maybe...that was always the case?

But I dunno. It's your guitar. I say customize to your heart's intent...it's about what ever makes you want to play more, right? It's interesting, I have guitars I haven't touched a lick, and guitars where I've customized almost everything customizable!

Re: pickups...while I agree in general a humbucker for similar humbucker swap isn't going to be a night and day change, I stand by there being two reasons to change a pickup--it's broken, or there's a specific sound you know the new pickup gives you. So if you played an imperial or even just heard some good sound clips, why not?

User Info Menu

RE: only I can get it to sound good.

I had the guitar customized to how I play. The guitar has a ton of bark for set pup guitar and can be bright and monstrous if played that way. The guitar was bright, the bone and ebony made it brighter, louder (so I can play that FG stuff and lay off the amp and still be heard), and made the notes even more defined. The luthier had me play some of his guitars to observe my attack and tone production before he committed himself to the project. If someone were to play my guitar with a thin plastic pick and a different technique, they would hear a nasally sound and give the guitar back to me (that's fine by me, it's my guitar. Had a horrible experience letting someone play another guitar of mine and he put a major scratch in the finish!) But in my hands, I get the exact tone that I want to hear from a guitar. So, as my students say, it's all Gucci with me
    Last edited by Irez87; 09-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi
    Anybody know if the ebony bridge on a Jim Hall has the same distance between the posts as a standard Gibson metal bridge? Would it be easy to switch?

Be well everybody
    H

User Info Menu

Yes, direct swap. Loosen the strings, take off the metal bridge top and put the Sadowsky in its place. Then adjust the string action as needed. Note that the Sadowsky bridge comes in two versions: One compensated for a wound G string, another for a plain G string.

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

cool, Thanks.

I have the original ebony on now and want a metall bridge on instead. The spacing seem right as you pointed out Oldane.

However , the diameter of the posts/holes are bigger on the metall bridge compared to the ebony. I guess I either need to find a metal bridge with the same post/diameter or make a new base then. I’ve tried 2 different bridges. Both of them need bigger posts to fit.
    /H

/H

User Info Menu

as the sadowsky is an asian made guitar...it uses metric sizes...gibson is usa imperial sizes...i wouldn't think they'd fit...try a metric sized base/bridge

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    as the sadowsky is an asian made guitar...it uses metric sizes...gibson is usa imperial sizes...i wouldn't think they'd fit...try a metric sized base/bridge

luck

cheers
    Oh, but they do indeed fit. I have replaced a Gibson TOM with one. Perfect fit.

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

All I have to say is that that model is one of the best guitars I've ever played in my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I have the mounted version of the Shadow. Lemme say, with a stone pick, and the guitar set to almost full treble... You can still get some beautiful sounds with the pup. I got it in my 803 Eastman, and weoooooow! If anyone else is curious PM me and I'll send you how it sounds.
    Wow, old thread. I've always wanted to try that Shadow Zollar pickup, wondering if it gives a more "acoustic" tone.

User Info Menu

Not to dis Sadowsky at all (It's my main guitar), but it seems like the new Comins lam archtops are good competition at around half the price. And Bill finishes up the fretwork and setup in his shop just as Roger does. I also wonder if the Comins lam spruce top sounds different than Sadowsky's lam maple top.

And here, go to the 3 minute point.

Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-28-2022 at 07:27 AM.