The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello everybody,

Hope you’re all staying well.

So, this lovely blonde shows up at my door yesterday - can you believe my luck? Well, not so fast. It didn’t take long before I noticed she has a bit of a crack problem.

With no luthiers in town working, I turn to you, fellow forum goers. It’s tough to get a great pic, but below is what I have. For eyes more trained and more experienced than mine - any opinions as to whether this is finish cracking, or the wood? My belief is this happened between shipping and me receiving the guitar. The seller is reputable and the guitar is otherwise immaculate- 1998.

It came to me via a 2 day delivery. Strings were slacked upon receipt. I let it sit four about an hour and a half before I tuned them up. Could this have happened when tension was put back when the strings were tuned?

If it is the wood that’s cracked - what am I looking repair-wise? I don’t mind any lasting cosmetic blemishes, but I’m concerned about the ability to have it repaired so the guitar maintains its integrity.

Just to clarify since it’s hard to see - there’s a third, short crack under the tail piece that extends to the edge. That one feels the deepest - catches the fingernail and makes an audible sound when you run your finger over it.

Thank you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cracks - wood or finish?-0c2343a2-ca12-4c4d-b4f2-3d8e940f59ee-jpg Cracks - wood or finish?-aa144985-aa0d-4ec7-b0cc-79e6bdb76c9b-jpg Cracks - wood or finish?-fddd6dfe-22f7-453d-abb0-223ca831bbe0-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Usually lacquer checks don't follow the grain exactly. They look like grain cracks to me but not bad ones. Easy repair - yes but it will show. Me, I would return it but I am pretty anal. A blonde L5. I am sure you paid a pretty penny.

User Info Menu

If you have a small mirror and light, look inside at underside of top to see if it’s a crack through the top. Hard to tell from pictures.

Thank you for your reply. That was my thinking as well regarding the grain.

It really is a shame - the guitar is otherwise immaculate. I’m certainly disappointed, but it feels and sounds too good to give up. I hope to get it repaired, get over it, and spend many happy years making music with it.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PenderJazz
    Thank you for your reply. That was my thinking as well regarding the grain.

It really is a shame - the guitar is otherwise immaculate. I’m certainly disappointed, but it feels and sounds too good to give up. I hope to get it repaired, get over it, and spend many happy years making music with it.

Thanks again.
    Great attitude - especially if you love the guitar. Sometimes these things happen , and if they are minor and not distracting - and you can either live with it , or get it repaired , then in many cases that’s a good approach.

I recently purchased a gorgeous Comins Classic and the guitar ( by design) has its volume and tone controls on the lower quadrant of pick-guard. The casing for these controls are in close proximity to the top, and protected by felt pads which actually rest against the top. During shipping the shock caused the lower control to cause a slight fracture in the top. The box was fine, and the seller had no knowledge of this - but could have packed it better.

I loved the guitar so much I had my good friend John Monteleone repair the guitar - which was very minor. Actually, John said it was one of the finest Comins guitars he’s played. So something good came out of something bad.

Excellent! Glad to hear that. I’m hoping for a happy outcome as well.

User Info Menu

Dead easy finish and or crack repair.
    Once done, invisible, as if it never happened.

User Info Menu

I applaud your great attitude, Penderjazz. I have revised my post upon the advice of a member whom I respect greatly. I should have written to you privately. Hope you got the gist of it. So, no matter now.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-12-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks for your reply - that’s encouraging to hear.

User Info Menu

My 1970 L-5 had many of this finish checks along the grain, but i used a mirror to check inside and the wood was perfect all the way. They look like mine... By the way beautiful blonde!! I wish it is clear. If not it doesnt really matters.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar, brother! A lifetime guitar. I have one spot open on my bucket list for a natural L-5 CES. Looks like you got a nice one. Good luck and I hope the cracks are not a problem. They don’t look too bad.
    Last edited by rolijen; 04-12-2020 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

My guess is they do not go through the wood at all and are finish cracks. Those tops are pretty thick and a mirror will give you the answer but I guessing they are nothing. But please lets us know what you find out that is always helpful in the future.

User Info Menu

A clean '98 is a prize find. Too bad for the finish cracks but that doesn't change the fact that it's an otherwise fantastic guitar. I'd not worry about the finish cracks, and instead play the heck out of that thing. Especially if you bought it at a great price. Enjoy!