The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 96 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fabienlag
    CMT takes pedals very well, just like my other amps. Loop workshop great with pedals too.

I'd expect all micro 50 models to share the same 'input circuit' and to differ only by the OD: smooth on the CMT, aggressive on the M, in between on the standard and missing on the Jazz. But that's only a gut feeling.
    Thank you! One more question: is the amplification stage in the little Jazz technically the same as a Micro Jazz 50?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Once again my gut feeling says yes but I can't prove it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fabienlag
    Once again my gut feeling says yes but I can't prove it.
    Once again: thank you! I will just drive up to Music Store (as mentioned before in this Thread) and see what they have tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I've got the DV Mark Jazz Little coming next week. It's basically the Micro50 Jazz with a speaker. I'm assuming it's basically the clean channel of the standard Micro50, nothing different. I ordered the Jazz Little to get the XLR out.
    Hey Lawson,

It will be fun to see what you think of the Little Jazz -- I dig mine a lot.
    I particularly like the EQ knobs -- very interactive and flexible and yet easy to use IMO.

Still lovin' the Little Jazz even though it has recently been supplanted by my new Fender Pro Junior . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Hey Lawson,

It will be fun to see what you think of the Little Jazz -- I dig mine a lot.
    I particularly like the EQ knobs -- very interactive and flexible and yet easy to use IMO.

Still lovin' the Little Jazz even though it has recently been supplanted by my new Fender Pro Junior . . .
    Thank you for the quote! Must‘ve been blind.

User Info Menu

It's hard to say if the Little Jazz has exactly the same amp as the Micro50. The speaker and cabinet make a definite difference. But I've run the Little Jazz through my Raezer's Edge cabinets, as well as the Micro50, and they're pretty close in sound. I would suspect that the Jazz50 is closer than the standard Micro50, because of the crunch channel, and I'm not sure that is ever completely bypassed.

User Info Menu

Kinda late to this party ...

Interested in the DV Mark Micro 50 CMT head. But my preferred cab is 16 ohm. They list power for the CMT head as 60 @ 4 ohms, 50 @ 8 ohms, don't mention 16. Would I burn up the head using 16 ohms?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Kinda late to this party ...

Interested in the DV Mark Micro 50 CMT head. But my preferred cab is 16 ohm. They list power for the CMT head as 60 @ 4 ohms, 50 @ 8 ohms, don't mention 16. Would I burn up the head using 16 ohms?

Thanks.
    No, transistor amps don't have the mismatch problems like tube amps. It just doesn't get that loud. You'll lose some 3 - 6 dB volume (at maximum level). Up to you if that matters for you.

The amp doesn't like loads under 4 ohms (like 2 or less, but higher impedance is no problem, you could even operate it without speaker connected ... impedance=infinite).

So nothing will happen to the amp with a 16 Ohm speaker.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried the newer Eric Gales mini head? It looks to have a tube preamp, 150 watts at 8 ohms, and reverb I believe?

User Info Menu

I'm really liking the DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz head. I'm playing it through an open back cabinet loaded with a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex hemp cone speaker. The amp is very warm sounding through this speaker. There has been concern about the fan on this forum, but I have played it for several hours now in total, and the fan has not gone on once. I do wish the head had an XLR out to go to a PA for gigging.

I got the empty cab for less than US$40 on Craigslist and got the speaker with a 20% off coupon from Musician's Friend. The coupon brought the speaker cost to about 60 bucks. When the head went on sale at Music 123 recently for US$199, I jumped on it. For around $300, I now have a new amp I like even better than my Polytone MB II. Sweet!
    Last edited by Chazmo; 04-23-2018 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    I'm really liking the
    DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz head. I'm playing it through an open back cabinet loaded with a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex hemp cone speaker. The amp is very warm sounding through this speaker. There has been concern about the fan on this forum, but I have played it for several hours now in total, and the fan has not gone on once. I do wish the head had an XLR out to go to a PA for gigging.

I got the empty cab for less than US$40 on Craigslist and got the speaker with a 20% off coupon from Musician's Friend. The coupon brought the speaker cost to about 60 bucks. When the head went on sale at Music 123 recently for US$199, I jumped on it. For around $300, I now have a new amp I like even better than my Polytone MB II. Sweet!
    Yep -I love mine! Got a mint open box special at MF for $219, bought a Faital 4 ohm 10" speaker and put it in a homemade open back cabinet ($12 for a 1x10 @ Home Depot) and it makes a great amp. Been gigging it with my oldies duo using my Tele and it works like a charm.

User Info Menu

Just noticed this bad boy version.

Access Denied

DV Mark Amp - Which One?-dv-mark-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-23-2018 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

That's "Little" not "Micro"

"Little" has 250 watts, compares to Greg Howe's signature model...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    That's "Little" not "Micro"

"Little" has 250 watts, compares to Greg Howe's signature model...
    Ah, thanks. Here's a nice basic info page:

DV MARK | HEADS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow-G
    I own a Micro 50. Having tried the little Jazz and the 12, my opinion was that the little jazz was a bit thin on tone, the 12 was better but still not enough depth and warmth for me. We all have different ideas on "the right jazz tone/sound". In the end I was so fed up with the weight of my Peavey Classic 30 I was about to convert it to a head only to give me better speaker options when I found myself in another shop trying the Micro 50 and yes I bought it and got a good deal on trading in the Peavey. The next bit is important as I spent a lot of time listening to speaker samples, talking to Eminence and others as whether I should have 10" 12" or even 15". I also sought advice on this point from the forum, the guys and their knowledge on this sight is great. All advice is based on personal preference though and not all replies state there preference, music style, guitars used etc. so you still have to make up your own mind. I decided after all of the advice that the 15" would be to boomy and apparently the distance where the sound materialises is greater than most rooms and really needs a hall to come into its own. Although I fancied the Eminence Hempdog (12 inch) it was not available in the UK so my second choice was the Rex however I was also keen following good replies from here to try the 10" Lil Buddy also from Eminence......yes I ended up with both. Two individual cabs were built using 3/4" ply (I can provide dimensions if required) with part closed backs and precise in-fill backs to make them closed if required. The Rex was first which gave a good result closed or open but I thought it to be a bit bassy. Next was the Lil Buddy which was better but still not quite right. Having read about Polytones being full of house insulation I purchased that acoustic egg box foam and lined both cab's. Wow the result is stunning. The Rex is now best, it has a wonderful chime and the bass is tamed, proper jazz, good depth and very warm, some may say proper old school. Even the Buddy was improved, both cab's now closed. For me the Rex is the best however as the Micro 50 has stereo outputs I plugged in both cab's one day and could not believe my ears, absolutely great, my guitar tutor says it is the best Jazz sound he has ever heard (he was playing). My Guitars are Epiphone ES175 Premium, a 15" 100% hollow archtop Vox 247 Tornado (my favourite) plus an almost identical Eko 100 (cheaper version), I like these 15" guitars both of which I have changed the pup's. The acoustic sound is not as good as the Premium but plugged in they are better and more comfortable, the Premium is being sold. T.I. Flatwounds and new pickups was the key with the guitars and the speakers/cab's was the key to amplification. The Micro 50 has plenty of power, good control and great clean, the reverb is a but suspect though if that is required for Blues et. Being so small also a bonus. No more gear searching for me, well if I win the lottery..................
    Hope this helps but be aware it is only one opinion and we are all correct.
    Good luck
    Graham
    Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your cabinet?
    Your comments really helped me to decide for Micro 50 and I'm really enjoying it. I have an old cabinet with a Rex, but I think the box is too small and I would like to make the most of it. Some websites recommend an open box for this speaker, but I can see that a closed one has worked better for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Raulo
    Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your cabinet?
    Your comments really helped me to decide for Micro 50 and I'm really enjoying it. I have an old cabinet with a Rex, but I think the box is too small and I would like to make the most of it. Some websites recommend an open box for this speaker, but I can see that a closed one has worked better for you.
    Hi Raulo
    External dimensions, 20 x 17 x 12 inches (could be 13"). Sides, top & base in 18mm ply with the front in 12mm. The back was made of three strips, also 12mm, the top one was 4 - 5 inches deep with the jack socket and 2 x 50mm ports. The ports are only really to enable free movement of the cone so the diy air vents as used in kitchen units are fine. The bottom strip is the same depth and the remaining space in the centre is a removeable panel to enable closed or open back choice. The entire inner surface of the ply was covered with acoustic foam (egg carton shape and stuck with spray contact adhesive). The outer surface was covered in Tolex style covering with piping to the front panel in a contrasting colour. Inset handles, metal corners and rubber feet finished the job. Hope that helps. OOPs! don't forget the speaker cloth)
    Graham

User Info Menu

Hi Graham,
    Thank you very much for sharing this information. Really, it helped me a lot, since the dimensions that I found on the web according to the calculations are quite greater, much more than the space I have! Fortunately my box has similar dimensions, so I'm going to try the acoustic foam. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Hi - as a matter of interest, has anyone used the DVMARK 801P acoustic amp?

I am thinking of buying one for my solid wood acoustics (K&K pure mini enabled), and it would be a big plus if I could run a hollow, laminate jazz instrument à la ES-175 through it to good effect.

User Info Menu

Sorry, no first-hand experience. The specs and demos are convincing, however. For a jazz archtop, you may find the bass end thinnish (but not nonexistent), and the tweeter redundant. If that can be switched off, good. The amp specs resemble what DVMark posts for their Micro 50. I have used that amp to good effect with an acoustic flattop.

User Info Menu

Sure looks like a Little Jazz. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

User Info Menu

Never seen one except in a picture.

But, I'll take a guess.

Everything about the electronics seems to be exactly the same as the LJ.

The grill on the front is different, suggesting a different type of speaker. The specs refer to a piezo tweeter, which the LJ doesn't have.

Based on a few weeks with a Roland AC60, I developed the impression (based on one amp, which means I'm probably over generalizing) that "acoustic" amps emphasize pick attack. Hard to describe in words, but you sound like a folk guitarist getting a lot of highs.

I couldn't get a sound I liked out of the AC60. I'm very happy with the LJ.

So, I'm guessing that's the difference and whether you like it or not depends on what you want to sound like.

One reason I like the LJ is that it seems to be relative insensitive to a certain frequency range that gives the highest notes on some of my guitars an annoying sizzle. The LJ seems to be voiced not to emphasize that frequency. So, it sounds darker, I guess. However you describe it, it works for what I'm trying to do.

I'm going to venture a guess that the piezo restores those frequencies.

Not a criticism. It's a matter of taste. As always, I suggest buying with a return privilege. I have been very happy with GC's return privilege, which I've used twice.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-09-2020 at 05:05 PM.