The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello there JGF.

I'm gonna get the Kent Armstrong floating 12 pole PAF. I'm super stoked! There's the option to get a neck mount or a pickguard mount. Either way, it's going to be positioned at the neck. The current pickup I have is attached to the neck, but it's a mini-hum. Would the pickup sound better if I attached it to the pickguard or to the neck or does it even matter (since regardless it'll be in the same position)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IME it doesn't matter. The differences are in convenience. If the pickup is attached to the neck, you can remove the pickguard if you want. OTOH, attaching to the neck requires putting some holes in the neck. Which is better is subjective. It's also possible to attach the pickup with Blu-Tack, which can be removed with no trace left that it was ever there. Whit Smith has done this with the Guitar Mic on his vintage Gibson. The controls can be thumbwheels in the f hole, however the pickup is attached, or can be placed under the pickguard, as preferred.

User Info Menu

well since you already have the guitar w pup attached to neck..stick with that..why fill holes?!!

the pickguard mount is not going to sound any better...unless you wanted to move it some..which you state you don't..so why bother?

cheers

User Info Menu

If the positioning is the same, I doubt the method of mounting will make any difference given the lower volumes.

User Info Menu

Put me down as firmly believing that there is a difference, based on my experience with my own arch top. The pickguard mount has that stereotypic "floater" sound, the neck mount is halfway between that and a mounted-in-the-top pickup. Think Benedetto versus Johnny Smith versus L5.

Thank you guys for all your help!!

User Info Menu

I like the pickup at the neck. When I change strings, I don't have to take off the monkey stick. When It's on the pick guard, I can't remove the guard without removing the pickup.