The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

A month or 2 ago I saw a collector was selling off his collection in Hawaii. There were some really great guitars from Gibson and others mostly arch tops. I wasn't in the position to go for any of those but I did see this guitar and looked it up and saw that they were originally with floating pickups. I always wanted to try a guitar with a Charlie Christian pick up and this guitar was overlooked and a price ended up being super low so I took a chance. Finally just received it yesterday and it's in very good shape no scratches flawless action is a little high but plenty of Room for adjustment. My only question is and I couldn't get the answer was what type of Charlie Christian pick up is this? Thanks guys

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Erm..pics would help a lot...

User Info Menu

D'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_083350-jpgD'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_083402-jpgD'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_083430-jpgD'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_083320-jpg

User Info Menu

I spoke too soon

User Info Menu

That's a nice collection of guitars you have there! Can't help you with identifying the CC, but it looks great.

User Info Menu

Haha thanks rob. I figured someone was going to post before I could get the pictures up I'm a little slow on the download.

User Info Menu

If it's a CC floater, there are only a few pickup makers who do that kind of CC.

User Info Menu

I've seen references to Excels with Jason Lollar CC pickups, around 2014. Any clue which year this guitar was made?

User Info Menu

Doesn't look like a floater. Close examination of the photo seems to show a hole under the PU. Also, the phillips-head screw on the side seems to suggest it's mounted to the top with two side screws (although you can't see the other screw because it may be under the pickguard). The small hole in the pickguard might be a way to reach the other mounting screw with a small screwdriver. Of course, all of this doesn't help the OP with the make of the PU...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    If it's a CC floater, there are only a few pickup makers who do that kind of CC.
    It's actually cut in there and screwed in, not a floater. There is definitely a hole in the guitar, haha. Just not sure who da maker is.

I will have a better report once I get back from Loews.....a lot of outdoor projects with this time home.

User Info Menu

D'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_103110-jpg[

D'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-20200407_103054-jpg

User Info Menu

It might be this one..
    D'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-baytone-charlie-christian-deluxe-pickup_1_orig-jpg

User Info Menu

Could also be this one – Lollar CC with 2-point mounting:

D'angelico EXS-1 with CC pickup......-large-2point-cc-jpg

User Info Menu

i'd think it's a lollar

but being the guitar is from hawaii..if it was added on after, it could be a vintage vibe as pb is based in hawaii

cheers

User Info Menu

I agree. It looks more like the Lollar than the Baytone. How's the pickup sound?

User Info Menu

The white border around the pole bar (correct term?) doesn't look like the Lollar unfortunately as I they seem to be very good.

The brief soundcheck i did was on my Little Jazz and my Gibson GA-18. Thru the LJ, with almost no tinkering of knobs, it sounded like most of my other archtops thru that amp, ha. It was fine if somewhat indistinguishable. When I plugged it into the Gibson, I really noticed more of a difference and at times felt like what I (in my limited experience) thought of as a Charlie Christian pickup type tone. I know each companies version of the pickup is pretty different, so I guess my report doesn't mean much without a better list of adjectives.

More later. Back to the yard and the chainsaw. Wish me luck and safety..........

User Info Menu

The sticker indicates this guitar was made in September 2007 by SPG in Incheon, Korea. SPG was established by former Samick employees when the parent company moved production to Indonesia. Heritage, Korean version?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    The white border around the pole bar (correct term?) doesn't look like the Lollar unfortunately as I they seem to be very good.
    Good eye! Okay, I take it back. Not a Lollar; maybe the Baytone again...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The sticker indicates this guitar was made in September 2007 by SPG in Incheon, Korea. SPG was established by former Samick employees when the parent company moved production to Indonesia. Heritage, Korean version?
    Interesting! Thank you. What does this say about the quality of the guitars from that factory? I don't know anything about there history.

The guitar I have feels great and I don't see any flaws at this point. IMHO it sounds better acoustically than my Epiphone Emperor Regent and definitely better plugged in, but its not apples to apples comparison. The neck and ebony fretboard are very nice.

What is "Heritage, Korean version"?

User Info Menu

Definitely NOT a Heritage version. There were something like 20 or less of those even produced. Those were acoustic guitars with floaters. And the build quality was far superior over any Korean made archtop.

My money is on neatomic's pick. Pete Biltoft lives in Hawaii and has built a ton of CC pickups.

User Info Menu

I don't think Gitterbug actually meant that Heritage might have made the guitar, but was just pointing out the similarity of former Samick employees going into business as SPG when Samick pulled out, and former Gibson employees starting Heritage when Gibson pulled out. Very similar business model, whether or not anything else might be the same.

User Info Menu

you could just pull the pup and see how its labelled!..lets end this mystery! haha

holmes

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you could just pull the pup and see how its labelled!..lets end this mystery! haha

holmes

cheers
    Haha, yes!!!
    If I can summon the energy. 3 straight days for intense yardwork has really killed my "night game".

Tomorrow is gonna be rainy. Good day to tinker.

Maybe even a sound clip if you guys are unlucky!

User Info Menu

It looks a lot like my TK Smith CC pickup. Mine has no markings on it.