The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Most comfortable strap width.

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 inches

16 16.67%
  • 2.5 inches

30 31.25%
  • 3 inches

31 32.29%
  • 3.5 inches

8 8.33%
  • 4 inches

19 19.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

I'm strapless.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Moody leather-backed 2.5" straps for archtops; Sully's vintage straps for flattops, mostly 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" over the shoulder.

I'll keep these straps until I give my guitars away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I have a couple of these 2 1/2”. Quality leather.

El Dorado Guitar Accessories << Truly Special Leather Guitar Straps to Complement Your Prized Instrument

Jerry Garcia’s guitars were all very heavy (reportedly over 13lbs.) Towards the end he and Weir used these straps made by a company called Wand. They had a slight stretchy feel which is very comfortable for heavy instruments. No longer made.
    I just got the El Dorado Suave Leather strap and it feels real nice and comfortable. It's replacing my Levy 3" thats fine when standing, but not very comfortable while sitting.

User Info Menu

I can't use leather. Can't stand the smell of leather.

User Info Menu

I got my first good leather strap (3") for XMas in 1976 and it's still in use today on my ES-345, 45 years of service !!! If one uses a little TLC and leather conditioner a few times a year these
    will hold up nicely. For my Super-400 I really like the Sadowsky 3" black cotton strap. The rest of my guitars are not that heavy so a normal width - 2"/2.5" - is perfectly fine. Leather is nice but not a MUST - smooth on the inside is not always a good idea because of slippage and badly tanned/colored leather will bleed onto my shirt or jacket - there are too many absolutely inferior leather straps out there .... vegetable tanned natural cowhide as used in belts etc. and aniline-tanned/colored leather will last a lifetime if properly taken care of.

User Info Menu

3” at the shoulder. Made of hemp. With slide buckle for exact fit. From Native Sons out of New Mexico.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strap Width Poll-99808838-0376-492a-8f88-429d1fa46f0a-jpg 

User Info Menu

I purchased a new strap a few days before Christmas. I'm really liking it for its ease of micro adjusting the length on the fly. They have a few different styles but the trade name is "Right Height" for the way you can adjust it on the fly.
    Right Height Garment Padded Guitar Strap - MRHGS-BLK (levysleathers.com)

You can search YouTube for "Levy's Right Height Guitar Strap" for reviews.

I think it is a brilliant idea. I like it very much.

I got the second one he mentions. Not sure about his "gripping" assessment. I think it is great.

User Info Menu

Just received a pair of Italia straps in black and brown, 2.5 inch, thanks for the heads up. it was a two for one deal, at that price ($50) they are a steal!

Very well made, pretty thick, about like a Moody strap in thickness. So not for those who like super light straps.

So far so good. I prefer the Moody slightly, mainly because I'd rather have a smooth leather lining instead of suede, just a matter of preference on that. The suede helps keep the guitar in place though. And the Moody 2.5" is now like $160, they are getting a bit pricey, even though they are really nice. Most of my Moody's I was able to get at the NAMM show years (and years) ago at a nicer price.

User Info Menu

Just a head’s up that Italia has some leather backed models now, so more like a Moody. I caught one of their sales and got one for $55 off of $138, so $83.

very nice for the price!

I can’t see $160 for the Moody, the ones I got were from the NAMM show and a lot less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Just a head’s up that Italia has some leather backed models now, so more like a Moody. I caught one of their sales and got one for $55 off of $138, so $83.

very nice for the price![...]
    An excellent price indeed, for a very fine-looking strap. To get that price, one needs to go to the On Sale Now tab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    An excellent price indeed, for a very fine-looking strap. To get that price, one needs to go to the On Sale Now tab.
    Another heads up on these Italia straps, they are having a 2 for 1+ sale today, so a great bargain. Use 504BONUS as discount code. Or 504SINGLE if you only need 1.

I recently got a leather backed one, very nice.

No affiliation here, just a happy customer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I'm strapless
    Me too, but I use a DeOro support (the flamenco model) to keep the guitar on my left leg, in classical position. I've experimented with an additional strap to keep it in place a bit better, but it always ends up causing cramps in neck and shoulders.

Didn't the ZZ Top guys play with a contraption that put the guitar weight on their belt? That's something I'd look into if I were to decide I miss playing standing enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Me too, but I use a DeOro support (the flamenco model) to keep the guitar on my left leg, in classical position. I've experimented with an additional strap to keep it in place a bit better, but it always ends up causing cramps in neck and shoulders.

Didn't the ZZ Top guys play with a contraption that put the guitar weight on their belt? That's something I'd look into if I were to decide I miss playing standing enough.
    Yes, and then they'd spin it around!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Yes, and then they'd spin it around!
    Which is how I understood their trick in the 1st place

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have never measured or took note of how wide my straps are. I have no idea.
    I had to go measure mine. It's 2", so I would be happy with that, or anything reasonable above that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Me too, snip

It's something like a Mundo Guitar Strap: MUNDO GUITAR STRAP – Mundo Music Gear

User Info Menu

I bought 4" wide bass guitar strap and regretted my decision. Much too wide for me skinny frame. 2.5" to 3" width works much better for guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It's something like a Mundo Guitar Strap: MUNDO GUITAR STRAP – Mundo Music Gear
    That definitely looks more versatile than something attached to your belt, but it seems the weight is still mostly on your shoulders.
    Also ... hooking something on the back of an acoustic guitar into a metal plate? Yikes...

How about a pair of helium balloons, would that look cool too?

User Info Menu

Usually I just buy the vintage style straps and throw the shoulder pad away. So a 1" leather strap with the added convenience that it fits in a gibson case easy along with all the other junk like tuner strings cutter winder etc I need to carry to gigs in there.

User Info Menu

I use the Italia 4" straps. Great quality.

User Info Menu

Back when I played an L5S (solid) standing up, I had a wide, padded leather strap custom made. It helped. Around 4".

Nowadays I play gigs on a drum throne for a little extra height. For rehearsals, an ordinary chair. I carry a 3" strap, but I almost never use it.