The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
    I’m highly leaning on getting a Guild Starfire V this spring, but I’m a little intimated at the tag of $1,550 w/taxes.

Another thing is I don’t know were they are made...

Do you guys think the guild is worth the money? Will it hold its own against its counterparts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a 60s Hoboken built Starfire V and it’s a really great guitar. I have no idea how the modern Asian made guitars compare. However, I have tried the new mini humbuckers and I like them.

User Info Menu

Their are nice, but for a just a bit more you can buy Westerley made one from the 90's. Those are the real deal. That's what I would do, and actually did! I had Starfire iii, fantastic sounding guitar, I had to let it go only because I don't like wide necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Their are nice, but for a just a bit more you can buy Westerley made one from the 90's. Those are the real deal. That's what I would do, and actually did! I had Starfire iii, fantastic sounding guitar, I had to let it go only because I don't like wide necks.
    Starfire v only has a 9.5” radius . So that’s in between an old tele and modern strat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    Starfire v only has a 9.5” radius . So that’s in between an old tele and modern strat

Are you talking about modern Korean Satrfires? Then yes, because they are built after Hoboken models from the 60's, which mostly had 9.5 radius and 1 5/8 nut width, which I really like. The originals are much more expensive though.

The one I had was from Westerley, made in the 90's, the Fender era. Those had a Gibson type neck, 1 11/16 and 12 radius. I loved the sound a lot, but I don't like necks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Are you talking about modern Korean Satrfires? Then yes, because they are built after Hoboken models from the 60's, which mostly had 9.5 radius and 1 5/8 nut width, which I really like. The originals are much more expensive though.

The one I had was from Westerley, made in the 90's, the Fender era. Those had a Gibson type neck, 1 11/16 and 12 radius. I loved the sound a lot, but I don't like necks like that.
    Yes like brand new 2017 . Looking for something to buy in March

User Info Menu

While Guild's prices for their Korean guitars remain acceptable (unlike the absurd prices from brands like Duesenberg or that newcomer Fibonacci), the price mentioned here would be too much for me, by 2 or 3 hundreds. At that price I would be looking for a used US Guild even if that meant paying a little more (I would be really tempted by Hammertone's x-170, too!). For a lower budget and a probably better guitar, I'd definitely take a look at Eastman's handmade, nitro finished t486B. I own, and love their t386 model. Since you're in Canada, Godin makes great stuff. Their prices where I live are way too high compared to what they are on the North American market, but I saw some of their models in a store the other day and the build quality looked fantastic.

User Info Menu

I played a new Starfire 3 recently and it was ok.. Was only 1k and felt is had a good balance of value and price at that point..

For 2k I would be into a new Godin Montreal Premier deluxe with bigsby or maybe the very beautiful Montreal Premiere Supreme with TV Jones p/ups. Single cutaway tho. Old Ibanez AS200s would be double cut.. About that price and have a good following.

I think for 2k s there is alot of value to be found out in the second hand market.

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    While Guild's prices for their Korean guitars remain acceptable (unlike the absurd prices from brands like Duesenberg or that newcomer Fibonacci), the price mentioned here would be too much for me, by 2 or 3 hundreds. At that price I would be looking for a used US Guild even if that meant paying a little more (I would be really tempted by Hammertone's x-170, too!). For a lower budget and a probably better guitar, I'd definitely take a look at Eastman's handmade, nitro finished t486B. I own, and love their t386 model. Since you're in Canada, Godin makes great stuff. Their prices where I live are way too high compared to what they are on the North American market, but I saw some of their models in a store the other day and the build quality looked fantastic.
    Godin dose not make double cutaway . And a double cut is what I’m looking for

User Info Menu

I also would consider the price a little high, not out of line for new necessarily, but used ones on CME are in the 600-700 USD range; excellent condition ES339 (particularly studios) appear to be in your price range. I also agree that Eastman is making really nice double cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by bgillon
    I also would consider the price a little high, not out of line for new necessarily, but used ones on CME are in the 600-700 USD range; excellent condition ES339 (particularly studios) appear to be in your price range. I also agree that Eastman is making really nice double cuts.

Eastman are made in China . And cost just as much .

User Info Menu

¿What about an Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AS93? I think they may be $650 or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhango
    ¿What about an Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AS93? I think they may be $650 or something like that...
    I might be getting an older Lado . Nice guitar around $1000 tho for the price . Almost turned to an ivory in colour over the years . Comes with a case

So I'm pretty excited it's pretty much the only thing I talked about for the last day and a half. So Saturday while browsing reverb I ended buying something. Tundra music in Toronto had a nos guild starfire v on sale. And it was almost 60% and I have wanted one for a while but had an issue with getting to the closest dealer of guild not to mention they are wat too expensive for my account and pockets but for basically $700 before taxes I couldn't let it go. So here is stock photos of my guitar. It is a 2017 but never left the store.i will post more pictures when it comes in. It should look nice next to my walnut telecaster and my taylors 810.

User Info Menu

I noticed a some of their other guilds are on sale, too. But they were grossly overpriced to begin with. And if memory serves, I recall reading that they can be problematic as a seller. Shady, even.

So keep your eyes open. Because you have a cool guitar coming and I hope it goes well for you. Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    I noticed a some of their other guilds are on sale, too. But they were grossly overpriced to begin with. And if memory serves, I recall reading that they can be problematic as a seller. Shady, even.

So keep your eyes open. Because you have a cool guitar coming and I hope it goes well for you. Please keep us posted.
    Their guilds are actually around the going price for canada and tundra music or reverb

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I am happy for you Silvertone.
    It is so nice to see the unbridled excitement that a fellow guitar player has when purchasing a new guitar. It makes us feel like little children again!
    Awesome. I hope the guitar is all you dreamed it would be. Please post some pics when you receive it.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I am happy for you Silvertone.
    It is so nice to see the unbridled excitement that a fellow guitar player has when purchasing a new guitar. It makes us feel like little children again!
    Awesome. I hope the guitar is all you dreamed it would be. Please post some pics when you receive it.
    JD
    I sure will post pictures. As far as feets comment about shipping, I hope he's wrong about that. I'm the wrong person to hold stuff on. I have there marketing number,normal store number, and can spam them via email. And I get a email from reverb when I was trying to figure out stuff. If there isn't any shipping status chang in two day to message then right away

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Starfirebetty - I'm a fan of the older Guilds so I'll be interested to hear how you like it, esp the mini buckers. Knowledgeable friends say their QC standards are very high. You may like the "Guildsby" or have a good use for it, but if not they are easily replaced with a standard Guild harp tailpiece as I did on my old Guild Starfire 3.

User Info Menu

I am extremely on board with this. Love the pickguard and the guildsby. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    I am extremely on board with this. Love the pickguard and the guildsby. Thoughts?
    Pickups are the weak point . And I don’t know if I’ll leave the pickguard on . It’s cool yes and I don’t really want to scratch it . It’s really different than my tele or the es335 copies I had . It has a wider neck . The neck job is actually really well done , but the gloss finish is different I never had a brand new guitar in like 10 years so it feels weird in the hands

So I guess it’s verdict time on the guild starfire v. So after for a few hours yesterday and a fare bit today I think it’s safe to say it was well worth the money. I can only compare the neck to the neck on my 96 Taylor 810 . So the guilds neck is a tad bit smaller than the Taylor both nut with ,scale length ect . The fret size I must say are darn close nice and low , but I always had problems playing the chords “A2” and “C#m7” on the Taylor but can play them comfortably on the guild. Now I think the thing I like the most comes down to is the election layout . Where it has that guild labeled Bigsbys that gets in the way for volume swells and on my tele I have to flip the arm back to do that , but that’s not the case on the guild . I absolutely love the master volume I think it was a great idea because it’s handy to your hand but the pick guard gets in the way a bit but Is very doable. The hardware seems to be solid and now since the strings are getting worn in it seems to be holding its tune well even with some slight trem use. Overall the finish I’d give a 8/10 due to some imperfections around the f holes and some paint transfer on the binding. The finish seems to well done otherwise it’s nice and reflective like a new guitar is supposed to be . The pickups I’m still not sure on them, I don’t hate them but I don’t love them . I would have to say the a super clean and I can get a fair bit of low end out of them same with the high end . I find them lacking in mids some but not as much as I find emgs . Something I I think could be done differently is the hardware I believe gold looks better on black but if I do that I’m gonna have to talk to Bigsbys of a g branded b7 . The open tuners concerns me a bit living where I live it can get dusty fast and why does it not come with a bone nut. And after spending a day and a half I think it would be worth the full asking price minus the plastic nut. One thing I must mention it is the heaviest semi I have ever owned . But I guess that’s it

User Info Menu

I have several of the vintage Starfire VI's and recently purchased the new blond Starfire VI, and I must admit it is an amazing guitar. Recently (2020), Guild has brought this model out in more assorted colors, which is a good idea, and I'm going to purchase the sea mist silver version this month. In terms of build quality, tone and playability it transcends both my older Starfire VI's as well as both my brand new Gibson ES-355 and my two year old Gibson ES- 335. I removed the stock 11 strings and put on 9s, adjusted the neck and bridge for low action and the rest is history. I haven't played my other guitars since buying this beast. It sounds MARVELLOUS and the tone and playability are otherworldly. Anyone having doubts about the quality of this axe should go to a dealership and try it out, I guarantee that you'll be turned out.