The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 239

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tgapen
    When I use a pick I tend to like this Alice pick, 1.20mm. But I play with just my index finger and finger nails a lot. I know, it's a terrible habit but Jeff Beck manages pretty well using his fingers only but that is another topic altogether, and no, I'm no Jeff Beck.
    Nails on electric guitar...recipe for screech, if you ask me.

Any luck since yesterday?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nails on electric guitar...recipe for screech, if you ask me.

Any luck since yesterday?
    Based some other posters observations, I was going to try to scoot the bridge over a tad. Loosened all the strings, bridge won't budge. A very close look and it appears some moron who owned it previously, glued it down.
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue-img_2268-jpg 

User Info Menu

Ooops.

OK #1 - Listen to Mr Beaumont above all other randomized opinion - including mine of course.

#2 - deflate (with extreme prejudice) the tires of the ass-wipe who may have glued down the bridge base.

#3 Take a deep breath because,...

#4 You still own a very fine vehicle for a very fine sound.

But...

#5 The bridge base is not in the right lateral position, and quite possibly not in a good longitudinal position.

#6 Gots to get the bridge base dislodged from the top.

#7 This is 100% do-able but may be best done by an experienced luthier-esque person.

#8 Do not forget about the tires of the Ass-wipe who glued down the base (if it indeed is actually glued down).

#9 Get the base free from the top, then ignore everything everyone else (including me) says, and talk with Mr Beau’ about getting a supreme sound from this VERY capable guitar.

#10 - All in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Seriously, this box can make great sounds and it is well worth solving any existing problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tgapen
    Based some other posters observations, I was going to try to scoot the bridge over a tad. Loosened all the strings, bridge won't budge. A very close look and it appears some moron who owned it previously, glued it down.
    Zoiks! That's not good. Can you return it and get your Ibanez back? The store should not have sold it in that condition. If not, they should fix it at their cost.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    Seriously, this box can make great sounds and it is well worth solving any existing problems.
    I believe you are correct that I should pay close attention to Mr. B's advice and that first and foremost, that bridge base needs to come off, and not by me.

I also agree that somebody's tires need deflating at the very least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Zoiks! That's not good. Can you return it and get your Ibanez back? The store should not have sold it in that condition. If not, they should fix it at their cost.

John
    I'm talking to the shop owner over email since he's closed until further notice. But I'm confident either he'll fix it or we'll work something else out.

User Info Menu

I once had a repair shop guy--I can't call him a luthier--tack a bridge down with double sided tape. A careful application of heat from a hair dryer loosened the adhesive enough for me to lift the bridge off the top and clean everything up.

User Info Menu

If that glue-moron was an epsilon-semimoron after all, the bridge is tacked in place with a few drops of glue. If he hasn't roughened the varnish, the glue may get unstuck with a sharp, not too hard knock with a hammer, through a protecting hardwood block, towards the tailpiece, just outside the e-strings or where the glue is visible. You may protect the area behind the bridge with masking tape but leave a small space so the bridge is free to move. Keep the strings under low tension so they will prevent the bridge flying all over. If one or two knocks won't work, make an appointment with the doctor. Not knowing the melting points of Tusq and the glue in question, heating sounds like a risky idea.

User Info Menu

Yeah, 5lb luthier's hammer is always what I recomment....on other's guitars....

User Info Menu

First of all, thanks to everyone for your valuable input. It's been extremely helpful. As an update I will tell you that the guitar shop owner also does repairs and setups and he has told me that he will fix my problem or we'll work out some other solution. Likely he already sold my Ibanez so the worst case scenario is that I'll give him the Godin back and get something else from his shop. He does have a few hundred guitars that come and go at any given time. Some good stuff too. But currently his shop is closed and we're all staying home here in California so it's hard to know when he'll open back up and we will be able to resolve this.

For this who care how this turns out, I promise I'll come back here and let you know.

Until then, thank you and stay safe and healthy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Yeah, 5lb luthier's hammer is always what I recomment....on other's guitars....
    I have one in my wood shop...known as The Persuader...

From the picture it looks like it might be tape not glue. I'd be inclined to try to get a chisel blade under there to see if it would lift up easily.

Why people glue things on their instruments I'll never know. I bought a nice Uke years ago that someone had glued a clip onto to hold a small music notebook. I knocked it off with a hammer and piece of wood, and as expected it pulled off some of the veneer. It took a little effort to repair it so that it looked decent.

User Info Menu

If it's tape, you should be able to soften it and probably get the bridge loose by wicking a little naphtha into the joint. Naphtha won't hurt the finish, but should loosen the tape, and perhaps the glue if it is glue. Depends on the type of glue. Goo-Gone also works. Just make sure it's not Goof-Off, which is a different product for the same sort of use, but it's thick, and I don't know if it will harm nitro or not. Naphtha, good old Ronson lighter fluid, is your best bet.

joelf Guest
    I've owned a single-cutaway, single P-90 Kingpin since 2008. I love it, and have gigged and recorded numerous times. The sound is dark and woody, and the neck size perfect for my small hands. I've experienced none of the problems you enumerate, and this is the 1st time I've ever heard of a plastic bridge on an archtop. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am shame on Godin. (My bridge is rosewood).

I wish I could offer something other than sympathy, but we also know that there's no accounting for taste. I could raise eyebrows rattling off a laundry list of guitars that are loved and revered worldwide, but I hated them---for myself. The ear is finicky and fickle---but in the end it's what you gotta go with.

Good luck, man---really...

User Info Menu

Hi everyone

In the quest to find my first guitar for Jazz guitar I tried out Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin 2 ( not the newer HB model).

Out of the new guitars that I have tried so far I really liked it .

I only played unplugged so far .
    I found it very comfortable light and enough sound unplugged to be able to.practice anywhere.

Had it been a lower price I would have bought it.
    $1600?

Those who love their Kingpins would you still love it at this price ?

Which is the preferred model the Kingpin 2 or the HB ?

I can get for $2000 a 11 year old mint condition Peerless Cremona or a new 2018 Gibson es335 reissue Dot

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mai

User Info Menu

No, but I'd still like it better than that Peerless and its apples and oranges with a 335.

Just my preference, that's all. I like the simple old school vibe. (I have a non-cutaway single pup Kingpin)

User Info Menu

Thanks..maybe I will be lucky and find one 2nd hand.

If I didn't need a cutaway I would have one !
    I need a C W !!!

User Info Menu

Where are you seeing prices that high? Multiple sites list them for $933 USD. Maybe you're looking at CAD prices?

John

User Info Menu

The original post indicated that the OP is in Israel.

User Info Menu

Hi John

In Israel !
    Some guitars and similar in price , or even cheaper that than other parts of the world.

Most are a little more ..

However Godin are really expensive

The duty and shipping costs make it unfeasible to buy on line .

Looking at 2nd hand ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabs
    ... Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin 2 ( not the newer HB model).
    ... [offered at] $1600?

Those who love their Kingpins would you still love it at this price ?

Which is the preferred model the Kingpin 2 or the HB ?

I can get for $2000 a 11 year old mint condition Peerless Cremona or a new 2018 Gibson es335 reissue Dot ...
    I guess the prices you're quoting are in US dollars? But where are they for sale? Israel/Europe? I don't have any knowledge of prices outside the USA.

If the Kingpin you're looking at is the one with two P90 pickups, that's similar to the one Gray Sargent (sp?) uses with Tony Bennett in some of their video clips on YouTube. Pretty nice sound. Not the same sound as humbuckers, but a good sound nonetheless. A lot of jazz guitarists in the 1950s used P90 pickups.

As to which of the three guitars you mentioned you should consider, it depends on the sound you're looking for. None of them sound the same as each other.

User Info Menu

I owned a Godin Jazz model that I purchased new from some kind of Amazon end of the year clearance sale directly from Godin for about $875 shipped including the light weight hard Tric case. At that price I almost didn't consider it a gamble. Beautiful guitar. Well balanced mass. Excellent sound both acoustically and amplified. Reminded me of a well made Martin. However, I didn't like the flat radius of the fretboard which I think was 16", and I also didn't like the cutaway neck joint design. The body edges made access to the higher frets a fantasy. I traded it for a Gibson ES-390.

I also have had two Peerless models - a Monarch with a set humbucker and a Jazz City with a set humbucker. Both were excellent guitars, but they weren't actually true hollow bodies. They had posts underneath their bridges. I think that all the Peerless models have them, but I could be wrong about that. The tops of both guitars were also rather thick. Very playable guitars though. I just found that I wanted a true hollow body and ended up with Herb Ellis Gibson ES-165 with a set humbucker. I liked it so much that I also acquired a Herb Ellis ES-165 with a floater. I have owned four Gibsons during my lifetime and have these three now. They have all been fabulous guitars. I doubt that I will part with any of the three that I have now.

For the OP, be sure that you can live with the Godin cutaway design. They vary between models. As far as price goes, it is hard for me to be critical. The deal that I got was so unusual that it is hard for me to comment on the brand when the one that I purchased was 60%-70% off of list. And it came directly from Godin. Not a second or a return either. They probably needed some end of year cash.

User Info Menu

I loved my p90 Kingpin ii. I hated the humbucker version. I've played three and owned (VERY briefly) one of the HB version and didn't like any of them. They were heavier and lacked any of the tonal charm of the P90 version. I don't what they did under the hood but they were very different guitars.

User Info Menu

I bought a Godin Jazz second-hand for $650 and thought it was really well made and attractive. Preferred the weight, tone and feel of the Kingpin. I regret selling that one and will buy another before long.

User Info Menu

Yes the price quoted is in $.
    2×P90s version .

I am not actually considering only these three models
    It was just to dhow the price..

The Godin very overpriced whereas the Gibson is on par with European prices.
    Peerless too.

I rather liked the Broadway and I can get 2nd hand , one with Seth lover pick ups .
    Just so big after trying out the Godin .

I want to try the Ibanez PM2. and maybe LGB 30..