The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Also, try going into the 2nd input of Both in the normal and vibrato channel and dime that.

this twin doesnt have a Master volume and your power settings will be “it”. So try lowest power setting, and dime the volume.

the tele-thing is not hard. ive been playing telecasters exclusively for almost 15 years now. they’re the simplest thing and tones can be dialed in pretty quickly through whatever amp.

here’s a few of what I primarily use;
    Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

Ive veered away from 50s models (ash body+1pc maple neck config) as I like early 60s spec telecasters (alder+rosewood board) better in feel and looks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingJazz
    i know, I read it. Thats why I asked what settings are you on and if it was a “real” tube, its gonna need to be VERY LOUD.
    The Tone Master is a digital model Twin Reverb, No tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The Tone Master is a digital model Twin Reverb, No tubes.
    hi sir.

i know. I read it. Same as the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. They are digital modelling amps by Fender. I’m not a noob with this.

i know. Ive been all over this model and the DR due to the back breaking weight of my Twin.

i dont think you understand my point. My point is if it WAS a real tube amp, like if you are using a “real” twin, youd have to dime those volumes to get it to break up. But it will be VERY LOUD.

in tone masters, you have the ability to dime it without being loud, by using the power attenuator settings, try it using the 1Watt setting and dime those volumes

User Info Menu

So heres a quick clip I banged out based on the Raney/Aebersold play-along, "Like Someone in Love." Playing the Tele through the Fender Tone Master Twin, using the XLR out for recording.

I'd hoped to nudge the amp to the edge of break-up but I don't think I got there.

Forgive the clams, and feel free to offer observations and advice on how I can do the Tele-Thing better.

Very nice, Dr. Stone! Thank you for sharing this.

User Info Menu

With all this said......do you think you dig it, Lawson?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingJazz
    hi sir.

i know. I read it. Same as the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. They are digital modelling amps by Fender. I’m not a noob with this.

i know. Ive been all over this model and the DR due to the back breaking weight of my Twin.

i dont think you understand my point. My point is if it WAS a real tube amp, like if you are using a “real” twin, youd have to dime those volumes to get it to break up. But it will be VERY LOUD.

in tone masters, you have the ability to dime it without being loud, by using the power attenuator settings, try it using the 1Watt setting and dime those volumes
    I see. It was not clear to me why you kept referring to "real tube" twins. I thought I was clear I wasn't doing that. I know all about the output power setting on the back and how to set up the levels on the front.

It looks like we've just been talking past each other but I see what you mean now, and that's actually what I've been doing. Using the lowest 2 output power settings, and pushing the levels on the front up.

But also, you're right, I got the twin because of its famous clean tone, and I would not want any break-up except in the Wes Montgomery zone.

Thanks for your patience.

User Info Menu

I see. It was not clear to me why you kept referring to "real tube" twins. I thought I was clear I wasn't doing that. I know all about the output power setting on the back and how to set up the levels on the front.

It looks like we've just been talking past each other but I see what you mean now, and that's actually what I've been doing. Using the lowest 2 output power settings, and pushing the levels on the front up.

But also, you're right, I got the twin because of its famous clean tone, and I would not want any break-up except in the Wes Montgomery zone.

Thanks for your patience.
    No worries, its a bit hard to get ideas across using words and letters.. misunderstandings happen!!

In my opinion, if you are looking for edge of break up tones, it will be better to use a lower watt amp in home friendly volumes, or use an overdrive pedal.. if you find that there are a lot of overdrives, and dont know yet what tone you want, you can try a "transparent" overdrive that wont color your tone..

This is the exact reason why I use my Peavey Classic 30 most of the time because I want to be able to somehow work the amp's tone and add some clean boost, than using my twin.. I play in a church band.. and we have an amp room and all our amp's are mic'ed, so if I use the twin, Id drown out everyone.

Also, here's a tip to dial in your telecaster..

pickup heights - Since I dont like the neck pickup much, I tweak the heights to at least give me a really workable tone out of it, and match the bridges volume, and a bit more tweaking to get my desired bridge tone.. I dont care about the middle position since I rarely use it, so I need to have good neck and bridge tone separately.. I'm on the bridge pickup 98% of the time.

The Tex-Mex pickups in that tele is very hot.. its kind of like Stevie Ray Vaughan type of tone.. its to stimulate SRV muscle at lower volumes (at least the Strat set), but its really nice overdriven, but to me.. I actually dont like it as I prefer lower output 60s style pickups, or at the very most, Broadcaster/Nocaster 50s pickups.. lowering your pickups might do some good if you want to..

User Info Menu

To get that slight break up you are looking for, the Soul Food at about 20% or the classic Boss Blues Driver at the same setting will do the trick. Very sweet cleans until you dig in a little.

As to your archtops being a little snarky about your Tele, stuffed shirts usually do act that way when you bring in an Alpha like a Road Worn Tele...just sayin'...lol.