The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Yes, in the end, everybody seems to end up with a Telecaster. Ever since playing one at the Songbirds Museum back so long ago (a month??) I've wanted a Tele... so I picked up this "Road Worn" style 50's Telecaster Re-issue. It's like new and I'm having a lot of fun getting acquainted. The archtops are being a little bit snobbish about it all, though...

Fender "Road Worn" 50's Telecaster!-img_5394-jpgFender "Road Worn" 50's Telecaster!-img_5401-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day, lawson! Now plug it into the Princeton and turn that mother up!

User Info Menu

A Tele and a Twin, lets here "Rumble"!

User Info Menu

every jazzer needs a tele! hah

congrats & enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Theres just no denyin' a Tele. I love my hollow guitars but if I could have only one instrument for the rest of my life...well...itd just have to be my tele.

User Info Menu

As was said to me when I got a Tele, "Welcome to the bright side."

User Info Menu

Nice, Lawson!

Now, in the name of all that is holy, get a white or tortoise pickguard on that thing.

User Info Menu

I've played a Telecaster for 50 years, and all the while played archtops.

Welcome to the most versatile guitar experience ever.

User Info Menu

Great guitar Lawson. In the late 80s I bought a Paul Reed Smith that had a multi position tone switch. One position converted the "humbucker" style pickups to single coils. In that position the guitar had that "Tele Texas" twang sound. For years I left the guitar on a stand and more likely than not, it was the first guitar I picked up to play or practice on.

I know you'll use the Tele well and I have no doubt you'll take the time to record your playing so all of us can share that Tele/Fender Amp sound.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

I, being a telecaster addict, loves these models..

The specs on the neck is my favorite combo! vintage 7.25 radius + 6105 (narrow tall =) frets.. playability and comfort! I love my vintage spec teles but this one takes the cake!

Congrats!

User Info Menu

Guys really the hardest thing to get used to is the lighter strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Guys really the hardest thing to get used to is the lighter strings.
    What strings do you put on your archtops? you can put anything on a tele.. Ive known guys use 12s.. heck SRV even put 13's (down tuned though) on his strats..

if you bought that roadworn as new/old stock, that has 9's on it I think..

I play 11's on all my teles and guitars.. that, combined with the 25.5 inch scale would feel a lot stiffer.

User Info Menu

... so I picked up this "Road Worn" style 50's Telecaster Re-issue. It's like new and I'm having a lot of fun getting acquainted.
    Dood, if it's "like new", then you got a defective one.

User Info Menu

just for info

as late as 1969 fender teles were coming from the factory with beefy pure nickel 12-52 rounds!!! w wound .026 g string

tho flats are nice on 'em as well..and you don't even have to go that heavy..some thoms bebop 10's or 11's and you are good to go!

cheers

User Info Menu

I like 11s on mine. SIT 11s with wound 3rd have a good jazz sound IME. I have DR pure blues 11s on another, not sure on those yet.

User Info Menu

Congrats Lawson!

User Info Menu

My under-the-bed hang tags still on '66 Custom Telecaster came with 11-52 flatwounds. It was still in tune. And still wears 11-52s! Different ones, of course. I'm running SITs, these days, on this one. They really do Stay In Tune.

You've got a great little axe there, Lawson. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

I think I need to give the truss rod a tweak. But it looks like you have to take the pickguard off to do that. Gotta woodshed some on Telecaster truss rods...

User Info Menu

I think I need to give the truss rod a tweak. But it looks like you have to take the pickguard off to do that. Gotta woodshed some on Telecaster truss rods...
    There's a tool from StewMac which you might be able to make at home. Alternatively,
    I have had success follow the example on a Fender tech video at this link:

The neck does not have to be removed either way. Pickguard yes. Before I knew that
    I went the neck removal path. The fun part was that it was an epiphany to me that one
    can disassemble and reassemble a Fender bolt-on neck guitar and still have a functional
    musical instrument. Ingenious of Leo, really.

I use .11 strings on my Nocaster and have used .12 on tele-style guitars in the past.

User Info Menu

I second the SIT strings. I just got some a couple of months ago for the first time (good grief, they've been around for years) and they are excellent for jazz. I have two sets of 11s, the regular PW 1150 set the "Silencer" set. The latter aren't any smoother than the PWs!

User Info Menu

Telecaster = fun all the time. Play in good health!

User Info Menu

So heres a quick clip I banged out based on the Raney/Aebersold play-along, "Like Someone in Love." Playing the Tele through the Fender Tone Master Twin, using the XLR out for recording.

I'd hoped to nudge the amp to the edge of break-up but I don't think I got there.

Forgive the clams, and feel free to offer observations and advice on how I can do the Tele-Thing better.

User Info Menu

So heres a quick clip I banged out based on the Raney/Aebersold play-along, "Like Someone in Love." Playing the Tele through the Fender Tone Master Twin, using the XLR out for recording.

I'd hoped to nudge the amp to the edge of break-up but I don't think I got there.

Forgive the clams, and feel free to offer observations and advice on how I can do the Tele-Thing better.

what settings are you on? You need to try the lowest power and try to dime the volume.

if thats the real tube Twin, in order to get it to the edge of break up, it needs to be deafening, and you’re gonna need some ear protection. Ive done it, but outdoors and its a glorious sound.

You may need an overdrive pedal to goose it even further. If you dont want to use that, then try the lowest setting and dime the amp. Twins are known for cleans, not driven tones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingJazz
    what settings are you on? You need to try the lowest power and try to dime the volume.

if thats the real tube Twin, in order to get it to the edge of break up, it needs to be deafening, and you’re gonna need some ear protection. Ive done it, but outdoors and its a glorious sound.

You may need an overdrive pedal to goose it even further. If you dont want to use that, then try the lowest setting and dime the amp. Twins are known for cleans, not driven tones.
    It's the Tone Master Twin (See Title)

User Info Menu

It's the Tone Master Twin (See Title)
    i know, I read it. Thats why I asked what settings are you on and if it was a “real” tube, its gonna need to be VERY LOUD.