The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 86 of 86

User Info Menu

I really love my Waterloo WL-14 LTR.
    Great sustain and sensitivity. Barks when you whomp on it.
    Collings-level playability, and fit and finish.
    Awesome guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Before I became a "jazz guy" wannabe, I was a long time fingerpicking,
    ragtime, country blues wannabe. I've owned dozens of acoustic guitars
    and when I bought a Martin 000-18GE in 2015 from my local guitar
    pusher I said that I have found my guitar and he can expect to never
    sell me another Martin guitar again. Five years later, still true to my word.

Though the guitar has a mahogany Martin tone that goes all the way back
    to 1833, it's not suitable for the kind of jazz playing that now interests me.

User Info Menu

For jazz I prefer maple or mahogany back and side flat tops. Extra zing and bass typical of quality rosewood acoustics are not ideal for faster jazz single lines IMO.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-16-2020 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    Gabor Szabo played Martin D-45 and D-28.

I dabble with Martin flat tops, currently a 2015 00-18V .
    Thanks for mentioning Gabor Szabo. I saw him live in Los Angeles back in the early 70's. At that show he played his D-45, broke a string while performing "Spellbinder" but never missed a beat! He played most of the tune with the remaining 5 strings. Amazing artist.

User Info Menu

I’m not suggesting it’s a choice as a “serious” instrument, but the middy/honky/nasal sound of my Baby Taylor works pretty well for jazz imho. Better than the chime of the Yamaha LJ I once owned.

it’s a wonky little beater though

User Info Menu

My recently acquired Steven Grimes Larry Coryell model. I custom ordered it about a year ago and Steve did an amazing job. Still opening up, plays like a dream at least for my large hands. Baggs electronics sound great through the AER 60.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Ukena;1024765]My D-28 Authentic 1931:

Attachment 70809

. . . /QUOTE]
    My SD 50 is the Larrivee version of this guitar. I may get a luthier to build one with a cutaway.

User Info Menu

My dymr70sb is the yairi version of that Martin, except the weirdo Japanese version. It's an absolute monster, and maybe the most luxurious thing I own.

How odd that three of us have such similar uncommon guitars in an archtop part of town. I'd love to see and hear more of your guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    How odd that three of us have such similar uncommon guitars in an archtop part of town. I'd love to see and hear more of your guitars
    That is interesting, indeed. The main difference between the 3, aside from the builder, is the wood of the back & sides: the Martin has Madagascar rosewood, the Yairi has E. Indian RW, and the Larrivee, mahogany.

What fun it would be to hear all 3 in the same room!

User Info Menu

i found a video of mine that's a pretty good representation of what that guitar is. It just has an inherent chocolaty-ness; a smooth darkness to it, but so very deep. Endless power and volume when you hit it hard but super responsive to gentle picking, too. Really big bottom on it for the folks into that.

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a more "normal" guitar around, but this thing is just too cool.

It's my only experience with rosewood, so I don't know how Madagascar compares to Indian.

User Info Menu

I have two Taylors, but I would like to get a Martin as well eventually, probably a D16. I put elixir 12s on the smaller one, and 13s on the dreadnaught.

Favorite flat tops of jazz guys around here?-20170120_194921-jpg