The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I'm seeking a small and budget-priced tube amp for home use, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Laney Cub 8? Seems hard to find jazz demos or reviews of this amp (although there are a few of the Cub 10 but that amp costs considerably more).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always wanted to try Cub 12 R , it's like Cub 8 with reverb and 3 band EQ.
    Seems like a super lovely small amp.
    Don't buy it on blind.
    But if you could have chance to try it, for sure do so.

Thanks for replying. I don't think I would have any choice but to buy it blind, because it doesn't seem to be available in Canada.

User Info Menu

If it helps you, I have tried Laney LC and VC 30 ... They are both amazing amps. Really amazing.
    But Cub .... Not sure.
    It gives me hype also, but I have never tried them.
    But Laney VC and LC 30s are amazing amps.

User Info Menu

Also, if it makes you happy.
    You have tons of reviews of Cub 12 on clean, on YT, ..... It's basicly bigger Cub 8 with 3 band EQ and reverb.
    I guess Cub 8 would be more simpler version.

User Info Menu

On a budget check out the Monoprice tube amps with 8 or 12" speakers. They are clones of the Laneys. I have them and they are very nice.

User Info Menu

I've heard that Monoprice is "copy" of Blues Jr.
    And Laney "clone" of Tweed.

Not sure how true it is in terms of Laney.

But Monoprice is super super super cool amp.
    Everyone is talking nice about that amp.

PS.

If you could get hands on Laney VC15, that would be sick choice also.
    I tried VC30 2x12, amazing amp in terms of clean.

Also Hughes and Kettner Statesman combos ... Sure worth checking it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    I've heard that Monoprice is "copy" of Blues Jr.
    And Laney "clone" of Tweed.

Not sure how true it is in terms of Laney.

But Monoprice is super super super cool amp.
    Everyone is talking nice about that amp.

PS.

If you could get hands on Laney VC15, that would be sick choice also.
    I tried VC30 2x12, amazing amp in terms of clean.

Also Hughes and Kettner Statesman combos ... Sure worth checking it out.
    Not copies of anything Fender, but copies of Laney models. This is pretty well known, many think they are actually re-branded Laneys. These amps have a more british voice than Fender-ish. Some of the Monoprice actually have the Laney logo silkscreened on the logic board!

The Laney 12" has EL84's and the 8" has 6V6.

I have both and enjoy playing them. But they are not Fender-like at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoboTom
    Thanks for replying. I don't think I would have any choice but to buy it blind, because it doesn't seem to be available in Canada.
    Traynor ygl1. You won’t regret it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo
    Traynor ygl1. You won’t regret it.
    Wow that escalated fast. From an economical 8” tube amp for home practice to a $1000 15w boutique! Looks like a fantastic amp, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow that escalated fast. From an economical 8” tube amp for home practice to a $1000 15w boutique! Looks like a fantastic amp, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    According to one website I checked out, the YGL1 is $769 CAD before tax. At any rate, that amp is definitely over my budget and is too big and will likely be too loud as well.
    Last edited by RoboTom; 04-09-2020 at 11:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Friend of mine has a little Bugera V5 with an 8” speaker; nice little practice amp.

User Info Menu

VHT Special 6. 1x10 combo, 6w, great cleans, good dirt tones, used they run around $200-$250 US. If you're into modding your gear, the Spec6 is wired PTP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoboTom
    According to one website I checked out, the YGL1 is $769 CAD before tax. At any rate, that amp is definitely over my budget and is too big and will likely be too loud as well.
    I can understand the price as too high, it is actually light and easy to carry. However I can't see how it's too loud. It's only goes as loud as you set the input gain and volume. This amp is clean at low volumes and has great headroom. If you ever decide to try one, you will be pleased. Also you can find them on kijiji used for around $400.

Good luck with your search.

User Info Menu

I would take Laney VC15 110, if you find it for cheap.

VC30 212 waaaaaas suuuuuuuuuch an amaaaazing amp.

If you find VC15 110, no brainer.

FYI, I just ordered the Joyo JTA-05 Sweet Baby amp. (I think this is an older version of this model and that the later version is released by Fame.) I'm in Canada and there's a store that's currently offering them with at the discounted price of $249.99 CAD + tax (a discount of $48 CAD). The amp is a Champ clone. Not that many YouTube demos of it but there are a few. I'm crossing my fingers it'll be decent.

Joyo Jta-05 Sweet Baby 5 Watt Vintage Guitar Tube Amplifier — Musique Red One Music

User Info Menu

I hope it works out. Good luck!

User Info Menu

The cub8 is a fantastic small amp. Perfect for practice/studio. 6V6 heaven if you swap the cheap stock speaker for a G8C and some good tubes. And I disagree, the cub 8 sounds a lot like a vintage Champ.

Laney Cub 8?-5629a541-0e00-42c0-9041-ccce151e4018-jpeg

User Info Menu

slightly old thread now but I'm delighted to see this!

I have a Laney Cub-8 and picked up a WH G8C speaker for it a couple of months ago but with COVID I haven't been able to get the speakers swapped out. Did you do this yourself? I was considering it but couldn't tell if i was going to need soldering or not and then read about dangers of high voltage remaining in Valve amps even when unplugged so nothing has happened to date. Still happy to know that it will be an improvement.

Did replacing the Valves/tubes make much difference?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barra
    slightly old thread now but I'm delighted to see this!

I have a Laney Cub-8 and picked up a WH G8C speaker for it a couple of months ago but with COVID I haven't been able to get the speakers swapped out. Did you do this yourself? I was considering it but couldn't tell if i was going to need soldering or not and then read about dangers of high voltage remaining in Valve amps even when unplugged so nothing has happened to date. Still happy to know that it will be an improvement.

Did replacing the Valves/tubes make much difference?
    No iron needed!
    You can do it yourself, I don’t remember if the chassis must be taken out. Before you touch anything unplug the power chord. Loose the speaker cable, unscrew and take off the stock speaker and vice versa.
    Take care of the correct polarity from the speaker cable.

Yes, high quality tubes are always a good advice!

User Info Menu

hi Stefan

thanks for the response - i think you do need to take off the top chassis to get at the speaker but i'm assuming if you don't open that circuit box you should be safe...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barra
    hi Stefan

thanks for the response - i think you do need to take off the top chassis to get at the speaker but i'm assuming if you don't open that circuit box you should be safe...
    It is open. Don‘t touch anything inside,

User Info Menu

Played in a fun little blues band with a guy who had one. Sounded pretty good but back then I certainly wasn't thinking about clean tones...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Played in a fun little blues band with a guy who had one. Sounded pretty good but back then I certainly wasn't thinking about clean tones...
    Use it for recording/home at reasonable volumes: Amazing american Clean.

A belated update, FYI: the Joyo JTA-05 Sweet Baby amp was good but too loud for my apartment. I ended up getting a Blackstar HT-1R Mk II and it’s great for my needs. I think there is a 5-watt version of this amp with a built-in attenuator but I went for this one instead and am very happy with my choice. Here’s a Tom Quayle demo: