The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Doesn't Epiphone offer some sort of Masterbuilt importmodels like the Broadway model the past couple of years. These were very affordable and should easily be had in the used market cheap!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Honestly, the Waterloos are based on pretty inexpensive guitars...you might find a Godin 5th Avenue, put some nice heavy bronze strings and you might be surprised. Just a thought...

I bought a Waterloo WL-S about a year and maybe two price increases ago. I love the sound. I cannot comment on its inspiration and if the quality of the Waterloo is worth the premium. But at the price I paid I think it was worth it. Would I pay the going price now? Maybe. Would I pay the asking price for the AT? Doubtful. I was waiting on that to hit the market when I found the S. When they announced the price of the AT shortly after, I had no pangs of regret.

All this is to say if you try the instrument, it speaks to you, and the cost is reasonable, follow your hands and ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Doesn't Epiphone offer some sort of Masterbuilt importmodels like the Broadway model the past couple of years. These were very affordable and should easily be had in the used market cheap!
    The usual suspects have all been mentioned: Eastman 805 or 810 non-cutaways if you can find them, or a Loar LH-600 or LH-700.

Those recent Epiphone Masterbilt are TERRIBLE acoustic guitars.

You should probably just get a Loar, it's what I recommend people do what to play . That said, there's no reason you can't gig with a vintage guitar, especially something like a pretty reasonably priced vintage Triumph, or L-7, or some of the lesser known models like the Epiphone Spartan. I know some people might blush, but I bring my vintage guitars to my gigs, including fly out dates.

If you want to play an acoustic archtop those are the realistic choices.
    (Oh and Whit Smith is one of my favorites, too. I got to record with him about 10 years ago. You should also check our mutual friend JD Pendley. He's another monster player, and played in Whit's side project "Hot Jazz Caravan", with another good friend, Jonathan Doyle on sax/clarinet)

User Info Menu

Another huge Whit fan here - if you got a Loar and one of TK Smith's single-coils like Whit's been using, you could have a very good approximation of his sound methinks! Plus it'd be new and cheaper than a DeArmond Guitar Mic like he used to use.

TK Smith on Instagram: “I’ve been riffin’ over A-Train the last couple of evenings. Here’s one I kind of like. I’m grateful to have guitar as an escape during…”

Waterloo Guitars-hot-club-cowtown-whoite-elana-jake-2017-og-jpg

Of course having the right amp helps. Here's one for ya. Sorry, I know you want to play acoustically but if you ever want to do what Whit does ("want to do what Whit does"? That's a thing to say?) this is prolly the way to go.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 04-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.