The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello
    I'm trying to find some feedback on this guitar, which I find the specifications perfect for what I'm searching in a jazz guitar :

* the unbeatable Es175 style
    * one pickup (that IS so fine)
    * nitro finish
    * ebony fingerboard with mahogany neck
    * 1085€, very attractive price

Here is the link of their website :

https://stanford-guitars.com/guitars...oad-fatboy-75/

There is no information on this guitar, nor on Stanford in general, or very little

What I've managed to find is that the guitar is built in China, and "finished" in Germany.. Don't really know what that means, but nothing really that important in my opinion..

I have heard they where more in the flattop acoustic guitar domain in the past.

I am really really tempted regarding the specs and looks. But would like to know if anyone has has some experience with this guitar, or brand
    Thanks very much in advance
    Rodolphe from France

Stanford Crossroad Fatboy 75-stanford-crossroad-fatboy-75-antique-violin-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have made a mistake, it's a maple neck, not mahogany, with ebony fingerboard.
    This is after verifying the specs on there website. I read elsewhere it was mahogany, which seems to be a false information.
    This is really not a problem for me.
    The sound will be clearer, without that characteristic mahog smokiness, no problem
    And the gain of greater strength of the neck is a good thing for me (the dreaded neck break happens with hog necks, in general..)

User Info Menu

For more info you could call these guys :

iMusicnetwork e.K.
    Kapellenweg 5
    97268 Kirchheim
    Telefon: 0936699979
    Telefax: 09366990327
    E-Mail: info@i-musicnetwork.com
    Internet: Western- & Akustikgitarren - Mehrfach international ausgezeichnet

User Info Menu

I could be totally wrong, but from the hazy past , i seem to recall a company called Hondo doing a Fatboy 175 ish styled guitar, and thought to be fairly good-ish.

User Info Menu

looking more carefully, looks pretty good. ES165 early 175

User Info Menu

I have played it in a store and it looked good and played well. The 175 feels a bit small for me so I didn't really go for it. I still hope to find the Vanguard somewhere: Stanford Crossroad Vanguard - Stanford Guitars

What struck me is that these guitars look identical to the Eastmans, but cost a few hundreds less. Unfortunately, there was no Eastman in the shop to compare to.

Also this seems to have been a small run - they're sold out in the big stores in Germany, and don't seem to come back.

User Info Menu

Their ES-330L copy looks really appealing:
    (but I would want a mahogany neck and 16th freth neck/body joint)

User Info Menu

i was wrong Hondo 'Fatboy' HL5BB 70's/80's/Japanese.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    What struck me is that these guitars look identical to the Eastmans, but cost a few hundreds less. Unfortunately, there was no Eastman in the shop to compare to.
    similar but not the same pics of my Eastman i had 7 years ago , good value for money but not close to 175 at all, sold after few months , but very comfy to play acoustically loud, neck to wide, does not have Gibson profile. Pickup tinny crap.

Stanford Crossroad Fatboy 75-img_20140618_165646992_hdr-jpgStanford Crossroad Fatboy 75-stanford_cr_fatboy_75_body-jpg

Stanford Crossroad Fatboy 75-img_20140618_165658326_hdr-jpgStanford Crossroad Fatboy 75-stanford_cr_fatboy_75_headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies
    Well they seem kind of under the radar, there is really very little information on this line up.
    I noticed the Vanguard model too.
    Looks pretty nice indeed.
    Docsteve, when you say they look a bit small, do you mean compared to a classic 175, or other bigger 17' models?
    Did you like the sound of the pickup?
    How was the neck profile?
    I think it will be very hard for me to try it in person.. And a bit reluctant to purchase it on line without a minimum of information

User Info Menu

Im 2.03 m tall (that‘s about 6“7). The 175 size feels a bit small for me, that‘s all there is to it. No memories of the neck.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I know this is an older thread but has anybody had any more experience with these guitars - either the fatboy or the vanguard? There is still very little information available about them, but I've not heard a single bad thing so far. If they're as nice as people have been saying, that is a pretty wildly low price. I don't put much stock in youtube demos of guitars because at least half of the sound quality has to do with how the recording was produced, but the clean demo vids I've seen make it sound pretty nice as well.

Stanford seems to be a German company with fairly modest European distribution. I guess that's why so few people know about them? An ebony fretboard and a nitro finish? And on the Vanguard a solid spruce top for under 1100 euros?? I suppose if they were an American company with American distribution (where there are more guitar players) they'd be able to inflate their prices a bit.
    Last edited by VanEpsInDeChirico; 01-01-2022 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Just an observation but looks like they are basically Eastman Guitars with different headstocks. I would imagine they are built by Eastman and or former Eastman employees.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just an observation but looks like they are basically Eastman Guitars with different headstocks. I would imagine they are built by Eastman and or former Eastman employees.
    From the few videos of them I've seen they sound quite a but like them as well. I was wondering if somehow they get unfinished Eastman bodies from a Chinese factory & then paint and add their own hardware to them. The Headstocks are a bit different, but in a way that could be the Eastman headstock cut or even sanded down to make the edges simpler and less curvy.

User Info Menu

Anyone can make a guitar that looks like an ES-175. Nobody seems to be able to make one that sounds like an ES-175... including Gibson a fair amount of the time.