The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Posts 426 to 450 of 482

User Info Menu

i'd be careful with that

first off the difference between 60 and 50 watts is going to have very little actual decibel difference...if you look at it more closely...the amp comes with an internal 8 ohm speaker...it also has an external speaker out that requires an 8 ohm minimum load..and the choice to shut off the internal speaker when the external is connected...so that with 2 speakers connected you can get 60 watts thru a 4 ohm load with both speakers playing...however to replace the internal speaker with a 4 ohm speaker would no longer allow you to have an external 2 speaker option...you'd have to always make sure you turn off internal speaker when connecting external speaker

also not sure how interior wiring is done ...so that just using an internal 4 ohm speaker may tax the transformer...

i'd check with dv before attempting

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The guts of the little jazz are identical to the Micro50 Jazz head and the MIcro50 "general" head's clean channel. Both automatically detect 4 or 8 ohm speakers, and both sound different if you use a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet.

User Info Menu

Lower impedance isn't a problem with solid-state amps, just for tubes. You can run a solid-state amps with zero ohms impedance, by having none at all. Tube amps will fry themselves without a speaker load, but not solid-state.

User Info Menu

That actually would be an infinity ohms load, as in open circuit. Zero ohms would be a direct short, which many (but not all) solid-state amps are protected against--not a good idea to try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Lower impedance isn't a problem with solid-state amps, just for tubes. You can run a solid-state amps with zero ohms impedance, by having none at all. Tube amps will fry themselves without a speaker load, but not solid-state.
    I've reported this before. A Little Jazz produced a loud bang and a lot of blue smoke in a guitar shop when an extension cabinet was plugged in while the amp was on. The momentary short on inserting the 1/4" jack was enough to kill the amp.

Agree with those who think the original speaker should not be replaced. There's not a lot of 8", 4 ohm choices available with guitar voicing - especially if you want to retain the weight advantage of a Neo speaker.

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Lower impedance isn't a problem with solid-state amps, just for tubes. You can run a solid-state amps with zero ohms impedance, by having none at all. Tube amps will fry themselves without a speaker load, but not solid-state. Me: it most definitely can be so be careful.

Originally Posted by wengr
    but to just go from 45w to 60w with still just one 8" I would not expect much difference
    Me: it not so much the speaker size in this case as the 4ohm speaker will make the amplifier output more power, it also depends on the efficiency of the speaker.

Again it is near impossible getting a 8" 4ohm speaker, that can handle say between 50W - 65W of Little Jazz, you can find Hi-Fi speakers if you hunt. But will usually find it is voiced different and may emphasise the treble, which is why people chose Jazz amps anyway etc etc and also how its mounted, ie if your speaker is rabbited into the baffle ie recessed or too deep.etc. Just as replacing an old Roland Cube can be, The Roland Stock speakers weren't as deep.

The old fellow Tube & Electronic who has done work for me in the past, said LITTLE Jazz was ok but really on maximum/limit already DV Mark obviusly wanted to gett maximum wattage out.

Old Polytone & Roland had far better electronics. A. Mainly exaggerated BS about Polytone is crap. Apart from Reverb wires/Tank not being that robust, main problem was getting 8" 4ohm speaker that could handle from 75w-100 Mega & Baby Brutes.

So i would be careful using in 4ohm into Little Jazz to get more power. so probably will give that up after thinking more. But think it would be ok.

It would be interesting is to see the actual specs on the little Jazz proprietary 8" 8ohm Neo, i did quite a search on trying to find out who made for DV Mark.
    Dv Mark are pretty secretive about that, i suspect it is an Italian manufacturer. I have actually forgotten all about this. I took photos of my Little jazz speaker, nos etc tried to trace/match up. But no clue as to what speaker it is and, The label reveals zulch.

Be safe everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I've reported this before. A Little Jazz produced a loud bang and a lot of blue smoke in a guitar shop when an extension cabinet was plugged in while the amp was on. The momentary short on inserting the 1/4" jack was enough to kill the amp...
    Good point: Henriksen says to NEVER connect an extension speaker with the amp turned on; always connect the extension speaker BEFORE turning the amp on. I guess that applies to ALL amps.

User Info Menu

So the stock speaker is neo? I did not know that. It's interesting to me, not because I think 15 more watts would be worth much, but it makes me wonder what better sounding 8ohm ceramic or alnico speakers are out there.
    Personally I am not concerned about the weight of such a small amp.

User Info Menu

I do agree that connecting and disconnecting speakers should only be done with the power off. Some amps will just blow a fuse, which can be replaced. Some are not fused and will suffer more damage. This is why I prefer SpeakOn connectors and dislike 1/4" connections. SpeakOn connections cannot short. But I still turn the amp off to do anything with speakers, whether a head or a combo.

User Info Menu

Just curious ...

If you replace an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker, and the manufacturer says you get more watts into 4 ohms, does that automatically mean you get more volume? If that's so, why didn't the manufacturer put in the 4 ohm to begin with?

User Info Menu

Some pure speculation:

They don't make drivers. They have to buy them and availability and price issues are paramount.
    They tone and feel of the amp may be different, and not necessarily in a good way.
    If it was 4ohm internal, then adding an extension cab would make it really low.
    And the perceived volume increase would probably be negligible anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Just curious ...

If you replace an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker, and the manufacturer says you get more watts into 4 ohms, does that automatically mean you get more volume? If that's so, why didn't the manufacturer put in the 4 ohm to begin with?
    I can only say that my DV Mark Micro50 head sounds stronger and fuller with a 4 Ohm than with an 8 Ohm. The 8 isn't bad, but the 4 is an order of magnitude better IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Just curious ...

My answer: not automatically. A lower speaker efficiency may cancel out the wattage gain, as somebody already pointed out IIRC. The 8 ohm speaker is an amp's - and its own - life insurance, especially if we are dealing with small, low output amps. 4 ohms at peak power may just be too much (= too little resistance) for them. The true "ohmage" varies depending on the frequency. On the other hand, a powerful amp is more likely to ruin a 4 ohm than a 8 ohm speaker. And, as said before, there aren't too many 8", 4 ohm aftermarket guitar speakers to choose from.

User Info Menu

I think the important point here is that we are not talking about an experiment whether the DVMark can handle a 4 ohm speaker. The specs for the amp clearly identify it's performance with 4 ohms. The Micro50 head allows you to plug 8 or 4 into either speaker out jack. The same head drives the "Little Jazz" amp. So the issue is simply what speaker would be best and what impact would it have. I can tell a difference with my Micro50 head between a 4 vs 8 ohm speaker. So I've simply wondered bout the LJ.

User Info Menu

Lawson - my post was in response to rpjazzguitar's question, which was not Little Jazz specific. The LJ will no doubt handle 4 ohm, as stated and as enabled by the external speaker option. The amp may not be exactly the same as in Micro 50 but certainly close enough (45/60W vs. 50/60W depending on load.)

Which speaker would you insert? On a quick scan, anything 8", 4 ohm that Jensen, Celestion or Eminence offer for guitar handles a max. power of 20-25W. You would fry them in a hurry. There's a lot available on the pro audio side, I'm sure, but mostly 8 ohm and with sheer magnet weight of 20 oz and above. And these typically have a flatter response curve than guitar speakers.

Then there's the question of efficiency. DV Mark does not reveal speaker specs. Their 12" is definitely less efficient than a Jensen Tornado, for example. If the same is true for the 8" caliber, you may end up with a replacement speaker that is just too much dynamite for the small cabinet.

If you do find the right speaker, let us know. The search will cost you $$, even $$$. How about an 8 ohm extension cab instead, for the situations where you really need the extra volume? That would give you more cone area plus free placing for a broader projection. Interestingly, DV Mark doesn't offer a matching extension cab for LJ. [Just a hint: A TOOB Metro 6.5GP weighs a mere 4 lbs. Several jazz/allround guitarists use it as their only cab on gigs. If interested, send me a PM.]

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I have enjoyed with my DV Mark Micro50 head using a 8” Faital Pro 8FE200 rated at 260w and 4 Ohms. I put it in a little Randall cabinet and it makes very compact, but nice-sounding grab-and-go set up.

DV Mark Little Jazz-img_5404-jpg

I also have a cabinet for a 10" speaker and put a Faital Pro 10” Faital Pro 10FE200 300w 4Ohm in that one, and again, it has a very nice sound. I'm sure part of it is that these speakers are rated far above the power of the amp. But both of them are favorites. I also use them with the Quilter Tone Block 202 with similar happy results. The total cost of the cabinet and speaker in each case was also very manageable.

User Info Menu

Thanks for revealing the secret! Italy once had policy of establishing a loudspeaker factory in every region. Many have survived: SICA, B&G, Faital, La Voce. Of these, only SICA, through their Jensen sub-brand, expressly targets the guitar and bass speaker market. All, I'm sure, are hungry for whatever OEM business they can grab. Yet, I have reason to believe that DV Mark's current speakers come from the Far East. Their MarkBass bass cabs used to use B&G, if my info is correct.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Thanks for revealing the secret! Italy once had policy of establishing a loudspeaker factory in every region. Many have survived: SICA, B&G, Faital, La Voce. Of these, only SICA, through their Jensen sub-brand, expressly targets the guitar and bass speaker market. All, I'm sure, are hungry for whatever OEM business they can grab. Yet, I have reason to believe that DV Mark's current speakers come from the Far East. Their MarkBass bass cabs used to use B&G, if my info is correct.

A - from me - final note: If you knew the answer, why did you ask the question?
    I didn't "know the answer." I've used these speakers with the DVMark Micro50 head, but I've never tried to open up a Little Jazz and replace the speaker. I also don't know if there are variations in the way the LJ is wired that make that not advisable. For example, my Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb has speakers that are very precisely matched to the cabinet and amp to reproduce the Twin Reverb sound. I also wasn't asking necessarily which speaker, but had anyone tried this and been happy with the result.

So I didn't "know the answer" I had some ideas and had tried a few things, had a solution that more or less worked, but I was hoping to hear some input and information from players unbiased by my own solution. I asked the question because I wanted to hear discussion and specifically, experiences.
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 04-06-2020 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Recently I sold my bulky and sometimes noisy semi-tube Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and swapped for a solid state DVMark Little Jazz, mostly for home use. Couldn' be happier. It's small, light, silent, very clear in tone. All these features at a reasonable price. I like how warm and jazzy my cheap hollow body Ibanez 105NT sounds now. Also my semi hollow Yamaha SA1200s and Squier Tele Vibe 50's sound better. Love it. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

My lil Jazz volume fades in and out after turning it on. Goes on for a while then seems to settle down. Tried cleaning the pots, still a problem. Hopefully it is a simple issue. Love this amp otherwise.

User Info Menu

Another one, yes I know. Many of you have this amp.
    My first impression wasn't that good, but that's because I set all EQ's to 12 o clock and dialed in the master volume. It somehow pierced my ears, not because of the volume, but because of the frequency. I'm pretty sure I damaged my ears in years of rock playing. Can't stand drummers who can't play at low volumes any more. It seems I lost some of my hearing, but some frequencies literally hurt my ears.

Also, the headphone out has a hiss.

But after I EQ'd the mids at 9 o clock, it sounded way better, very nice actually. That mid button is not just a mid button I think. It adds some gain and other things too.

Anyway, today I went to a rehearsal with a base player and drummer and I brought two guitars plus the LJ on my scooter. What a joy!
    In the studio it didn't sound as good or full as my Tonemaster DR, but it was plenty loud enough and sounded nice, not for the size or the price, but just nice.

Now I understand why everybody has one of these. Shame about the headphone hiss though.

User Info Menu

Experiment with it. Put it on a chair or something else to raise it, tilt it back while on the floor, move it closer to a wall or further from it, etc. The rear port makes it position sensitive, and also sensitive to what is under it, whether carpet, tile, wood, whatever. My tastes are different, and I tend to increase the mid a little above noon. But if you're used to a Fender with a mid scoop, you probably won't like that as much. It is not designed to sound like a Fender, and that's a big reason I like it. The real bonus, though, is the portability.

User Info Menu

Yes, that portability is incredible. I mean, my Tonemaster is pretty light, but I can't bring it on my scooter. The LJ fits in my Shad 45 liter case, not with the lid closed, but a strap solves that. Also taking it up and down the stairs here in my house is a breeze. Even a Tonemaster requires a bit of lifting and 'steering' on a stair. The LJ is just running up and down in one hand.

User Info Menu

The headphone out is unusable.

User Info Menu

Played an octet rehearsal outdoors today. The LJ sounded great and was more than loud enough. Amazing for the size, weight and cost.

Financial Disclosure: I paid full price at GC. It was around $360. I've seen it even cheaper at times.

Negatives: Not much to report. I had some trouble playing from my phone into the Aux input, which might be the fourth conductor's fault and not a problem with the amp. Some might find it inflexible, although I don't. The EQ is effective, the reverb is adequate if you don't turn it too high, but there are no other bells or whistles with regard to sound processing. I generally play with the bass knob almost all the way down and have occasionally wished it would go further in that direction. But, that may be a reflection of my gear and taste.