The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Posts 401 to 425 of 482

User Info Menu

One of the features I really like about the Little Jazz is that it lets me carry it in one hand easily, leaving the other free for whatever else is necessary, and I can carry it for a long distance without my arm falling off. If I'm carrying it and my guitar in a hard case, they balance each other very well, about the same weight, which is a definite plus. I've played in loud bar jams where there were Katanas in use, and the LJ is at least as loud, without needing to turn it up much past 50%, with humbuckers. To be fair to the Katanas, though, they were being used to get a Fender scooped sound with single-coil Strats mostly, and very lacking in mids. With the LJ flat, it cuts through easily.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I was referencing the original post in this thread, 4th paragraph:

"My initial impression, playing alone in the practice room is that it is not a particularly loud amp, with a Roland 40x that I often use seeming significantly louder (that one has a bigger speaker, but probably similar wattage). When I cranked the Master to 3 o'clock, I didn't care for the sound on chords. It seemed distorted to me. But, when I cranked the output of my ME80 up to the max, the input stage of the Little Jazz didn't seem to mind and I got a louder, but still clean, sound. The amp bothered me less on lead lines, where I don't mind a little bit of distortion that much."
    I wrote that after my first time trying the amp. I think I had it on a chair or something. I now use it flat on the floor. Positioning, even tilting it can make a difference. I've now been using it for 7 months. I try to avoid having the Master Volume past 2 o'clock. I haven't done any careful testing at that volume, but that's what I've been doing.

It has been loud enough for almost everything I've done with it. That includes octet (4 horns), 19 pc big band and various smaller groups, usually with piano and drums.

It usually sounds fine. I've read that some people consider it dark. That might be right but, for me, it may be more a feature than a bug. My Comins can sound a little fizzy in the high E and the LJ removes a lot of that.

The exception occurred this weekend. An outdoor gig in one end of a big field with the octet. Pianist likes to be heard. I brought my JC55 instead of the LJ and was glad I did, although it's possible the LJ might have worked. I just didn't want to get caught short for volume.

User Info Menu

My experience with most smaller amps has been similar. You learn to work with them. Or you just put up with carrying a bigger amp and don't have to worry about anything, position, stand, monitor, etc. Usually I choose the smaller amp!

User Info Menu

I brought the Little Jazz out last night. People seemed to enjoy the sound. I had been bringing a Boss Katana 50 to that weekly event. I very much appreciated the size and weight when it was time for me to leave the crowded tight stage area.

User Info Menu

I bought my DVMLJ specifically to attend the Port Townsend Jazz Workshop. Weight and size were key considerations, as were tone and volume. I was in a practice room all week with a small combo - piano, bass, drums, trumpet, sax, clarinet, and electric violin. It was pretty loud in there but the amp was able to punch through with fidelity.

I set the volume at 10 o'clock - which is how I typically dial-it in. I had to roll off the bass to 10 o'clock to get the punch I was looking for; I usually set it at 12 o'clock. The Mid and High dials were set to 12 o'clock, reverb to 9 o'clock - again, that's typical. With these settings, I was able to make the adjustment from comping to soloing from the volume knob on my guitar.

When my combo performed in a large hall at the end of the week, the audio tech used the amp's direct line-out into the PA system. Essentially, the LJ was my monitor on stage while he dialed-it for the room. Our combo coach who was in the audience for the performance said my guitar sounded great through the house system.

I have A/B tested my LJ alongside my Quilter MicroPro 8 in my studio many times. The Q is superior to my ear, but the LJ is definitely in the game tone-wise. What really surprised me, though, was how it stood up to a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Back to Port Townsend: I was rehearsing for a guitar duet and my partner was playing an archtop through the Deluxe. When I first started playing, the difference was marked. In comparison to his guitar, mine sounded thin and nasally. I dialed-in the bass on the amp and on the guitar, and I was back in business. The tone was right where I wanted it in the mix. Of course, there would have been no contest had it been a race for volume, but the two guitars sounded really good together.

Just one person's experience submitted for the benefit of those considering the LJ.

PS: the LJ is now taking the #2 spot in my amp quiver. I'll be putting my Cube 60 up for sale shortly.

User Info Menu

I’ve had my DVMLJ for a few days now. I don’t gig - I jam with friends and with my son (who plays professionally). I have an Eastman AR503CE with the stock pickup and a late 90s Les Paul Elegant, also stock. Both guitars sound like a dream through the LJ. I can’t imagine ever lugging my Marshall or Gibson tube amps to a jam now that I have this LJ. I may sell them both. This is all the amp I will ever need - exactly the features I want in a combo, and none of the weight I don’t want!

User Info Menu

I have almost a year of experience with it now.

I roll the bass almost all the way off. Mids at noon, treble slightly below the middle, ie 11 o'clock. I tend to do that with most guitars, amps and playing situations. I don't play solo guitar. I always play with a bassist and usually with a piano. Nobody has ever requested that I add bass to my tone.

I like it flat on the floor. But, it also sounds okay to me elevated.

I've tried it pointing at me and pointing away. It seems pretty flexible. I've never tried anything where I hated the sound and had to move the amp.

There's now a version with a 12 inch speaker and the same electronics, apparently. I'd like to hear it, but, given that I already roll the bass way down, I don't know if I need a bigger speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have almost a year of experience with it now.

I roll the bass almost all the way off. Mids at noon, treble slightly below the middle, ie 11 o'clock. I tend to do that with most guitars, amps and playing situations. I don't play solo guitar. I always play with a bassist and usually with a piano. Nobody has ever requested that I add bass to my tone.

I like it flat on the floor. But, it also sounds okay to me elevated.

I've tried it pointing at me and pointing away. It seems pretty flexible. I've never tried anything where I hated the sound and had to move the amp.

There's now a version with a 12 inch speaker and the same electronics, apparently. I'd like to hear it, but, given that I already roll the bass way down, I don't know if I need a bigger speaker.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. Very much appreciated.
    I have done similar to what you describe (I might actually have read one of your posts on the same topic in another thread) and the LJ amp is becoming more enjoyable and I'm getting the tones I have been "chasing" through time.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Tommy Emmanuel says you should not put amps on chairs, tilt etc as it impacts the tone

User Info Menu

Well, that's the point, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Hello,

I will get a DV Mark little jazz amplifier (did not yet recieve it) for my jazzbox.

I'd like to know if I anyone tried a nylon string guitar with it.

I found this video on Youtube

Last edited by Raetiger; 02-20-2020 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah, that's the coveted red trim model. I wanted one, but all that was available was black trim. I don't currently own a nylon-string guitar, but I don't see why it wouldn't sound good with one.

User Info Menu

I haven’t plugged my Yamaha SLG200N into my DVMLJ yet, but now you have me curious...

User Info Menu

The wife has rather low end Ibanez electro classical. I have played it a couple times through my LJ. Not bad at all, at least with that guitar it sounded better than I expected. Makes me want to get a Godin nylon.

User Info Menu

I've tried it, at home, with a Godin Multiac Nylon. Not great, not terrible. Old strings and the guitar is stuffed with foam (to reduce a remarkable vulnerability to feedback).

User Info Menu

Ok I plugged my Yamaha SLG200N into the DV Mark Little Jazz to see how it sounds. I wasn’t hugely impressed - it was pretty mid-range-y to my ears. I twiddled a bit with knobs on the amp and on the guitar and got a reasonable tone but still not all that inspiring. Then I plugged in to my Yamaha THR10 and it sounded quite a bit better to me. I didn’t have to do as much knob twiddling to get something fairly decent (again, to my ears). Neither of them sounded like a Ramirez being played by Segovia. But then, a Yamaha silent practice guitar is not a Ramirez and lord knows I am not Segovia. At the risk of ridicule, I have uploaded sound files of yours truly playing through both amps. I mic’d them with an Audio Technica AT4050 through the pretty pristine mic pre on my Yamaha AG06. (As you tell, I’m a fan of Yamaha gear.) I suppose if you are listening to these on the speaker of a cell phone they may not sound all that different.... Headphones should help.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the interesting replies.
    Meanwhile I got the little jazz and had a try on it. Sounds great with my Ibanez PM200 and surprisingly well with my Raimundo Bossa Nova 3 with a fishman classic 3 preamp. I mean it's not the real acoustic sound of the guitar (btw the Raimundo is a great guitar with shorter scale-length 640 mm) but like someone said a full midrange sound. I had the opportunity to compare it to a bose sytem L1 and I wasn't convinced, too much piezo sound. If I should describe the sound I'd say it sounds a bit like Pat Metheny, Our spanish love songs on the album Beyond The Missouri Sky (which I like). I'll try to post some sound samples in the next days.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Did you see the DV Mark 801P ? It looks like a Little Jazz with a tweeter added. (I have not researched it in detail.)

DV MARK | Products | AC 801 P

User Info Menu

I agree, the sound of the Yamaha is much more natural. Thanks for the post !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Did you see the DV Mark 801P ? It looks like a Little Jazz with a tweeter added. (I have not researched it in detail.)

DV MARK | Products | AC 801 P
    Yup, that would be a better match.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Raetiger
    Thanks for the interesting replies.
    Meanwhile I got the little jazz and had a try on it. Sounds great with my Ibanez PM200 and surprisingly well with my Raimundo Bossa Nova 3 with a fishman classic 3 preamp. I mean it's not the real acoustic sound of the guitar (btw the Raimundo is a great guitar with shorter scale-length 640 mm) but like someone said a full midrange sound. I had the opportunity to compare it to a bose sytem L1 and I wasn't convinced, too much piezo sound. If I should describe the sound I'd say it sounds a bit like Pat Metheny, Our spanish love songs on the album Beyond The Missouri Sky (which I like). I'll try to post some sound samples in the next days.

Cheers
    So, here is a little soundsample : 1 piezo 2 natural.wav - Google Drive
    What do you think about the sound ?

User Info Menu

Has anyone with the DV Mark Little Jazz amp ever replaced the DVMark 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker? It's supposed to give you 60 watts with a 4 Ohm speaker. I've wondered if that is a replacement one could try? Anyone?

User Info Menu

...... good thinking Lawson, i have several Polytones with 8" 4ohm speakers, and took the speaker out of my LJ , it took a while, its glued in, as i was thinking of putting a Neo 8" 4 ohm ie Litlle Jazz, speaker into a Polytone to hear what it was like.

As you cant get 8" 4ohm 75W+ speakers anywhere only 25/30w ish max.

Now i have time on my hands (Corona virus) I may put one of my Polytone CTS 8" 4 ohm into the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

Maybe I am not understanding, but is not the 60w claim made about plugging in an extension speaker?
    If so I would expect a certain difference as the cone area doubles,
    but to just go from 45w to 60w with still just one 8" I would not expect much difference.

User Info Menu

Does the manufacturer explicitly state that you can connect a 4-ohm speaker? I’ve always heeded warnings not to go lower than recommended ohms on solid state amps because bad things will happen.