The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48
    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Years ago, I got one custom made by Cris Mirabella. It was a pre-emptive replacement for the original bound tortoise guard on my Byrd, which had not yet begun to deteriorate. (That original guard is now tucked away safely in a sealed plastic bag.) Cost $300 including the labor by my luthier to mount the block and hardware and do a little custom fitting to the guitar itself (I believe he ordered it without pickup cutouts and did those himself to ensure proper fit to the specific guitar.) Expensive, yes, but is a dead ringer for the real thing and is impeccable in workmanship.
    Well, that is way out of the ball park for me to afford. But, I bet it's beautiful. I'll see how the one I order looks... I think it will have to do...
    Thanks..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don't do it that way I use strips and binding tape. One layer at a time and there are even other ways to do it.
    Yes, in fact I tried something different with the one in post #10 since that is a Korean guitar; no tape or nails. I used very fast drying glue. Almost like acetone in a tube. I just held the strips in place until dry with my fingers. Construction was very fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Yes, in fact I tried something different with the one in post #10 since that is a Korean guitar; no tape or nails. I used very fast drying glue. Almost like acetone in a tube. I just held the strips in place until dry with my fingers. Construction was very fast.
    I use acetone for the real thin strips those go real easy although I tape them. Then the thicker one usually at the end I use binding cement I get from supplier I believe it is same stuff Gibson uses. I tape that real tight. Once made a D'a pickguard and the last white bind what really thick almost twice the normal. I had to use a heat gun to sort of get it in place at first. A real pia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by apell
    Well, that is way out of the ball park for me to afford. But, I bet it's beautiful. I'll see how the one I order looks... I think it will have to do...
    Thanks..
    Yep, the entire guitar, not just the pickguard, was a splurge :-) I did buy a cheap guard to use while I was waiting for it and there was no comparison in terms of looks but the cheapo plastic one offered just as much protection as the purty one.

User Info Menu

Can you post pictures of your guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Yep, the entire guitar, not just the pickguard, was a splurge :-) I did buy a cheap guard to use while I was waiting for it and there was no comparison in terms of looks but the cheapo plastic one offered just as much protection as the purty one.
    Well, the one I received yesterday is nice and thick. Nicely bound. I am a little leery cutting out the pickup notches...I may attempt it...Maybe not. It may just be yet another project to be done....

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Can you post pictures of your guitar?
    Will do...It's in FedEx hands right now...Scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

User Info Menu

Well, the one I received yesterday is nice and thick. Nicely bound. I am a little leery cutting out the pickup notches...I may attempt it...Maybe not. It may just be yet another project to be done....
    Go slow. It’s easy to break the binding. My experience is that it works best to find a short section of a 2x4 stud to use as a template. (USA standard studs are actually ~1.5” x 3.5” and the narrow edge is serendipitously the correct size for a Gibson humbucker cutout). After you’ve rough-cut the pickup cutout, wrap the narrow edge of the 2x4 with sand paper and use it to clean up the cutout. If you’re slow and careful, it’ll turn out looking like a factory job.
    In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-a481935e-b844-482a-9466-66acafaabdbc-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Go slow. It’s easy to break the binding. My experience is that it works best to find a short section of a 2x4 stud to use as a template. (USA standard studs are actually ~1.5” x 3.5” and the narrow edge is serendipitously the correct size for a Gibson humbucker cutout). After you’ve rough-cut the pickup cutout, wrap the narrow edge of the 2x4 with sand paper and use it to clean up the cutout. If you’re slow and careful, it’ll turn out looking like a factory job.
    In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-a481935e-b844-482a-9466-66acafaabdbc-jpeg
    That is they way next time I have one of those Rolijen you are coming over to do the finishing work for me..............assuming the Covid 19 has lifted!

User Info Menu

That is they way next time I have one of those Rolijen you are coming over to do the finishing work for me..............assuming the Covid 19 has lifted!
    It’s a deal! Looking forward to it!

On the way to my place in NY...First you, then me... That is sweet.

Beautiful work....A question....There is a screw or bolt I see just north of the neck pickup on the edge of the pickguard; what does that attach to? Is there a little bracket on the edge of the fingerboard? I had an old East German archtop that had that arrangement....

User Info Menu

Beautiful work....A question....There is a screw or bolt I see just north of the neck pickup on the edge of the pickguard; what does that attach to? Is there a little bracket on the edge of the fingerboard? I had an old East German archtop that had that arrangement....
    On this particular guitar, the upper end attaches via a screw straight down through the top. I used a small spacer (poly tubing) between the guard and the guitar top. I drilled the hole through the pickguard using a small Dremel bit for the hole and a larger special bit to create a counter sink for the screw head. Slow and steady on this material or it’ll crack.

User Info Menu

A couple close up pics:

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-977cb1d3-fc29-47eb-aca5-90a840385f09-jpeg
    Pic of neck pickup showing forward mounting screw, pickup cutout and adjustment screw notch. The cutout is shaped using the edge of a 2x4 wrapped in sandpaper. You can see how it perfectly fits a standard size humbucker. (The adjustment notch is not quite as precise due to freehand cutting with my Dremel tool).

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-3b0282da-968d-4127-87e2-67c2632609fe-jpeg
    Bridge pickup cutout and adjustment screw notch.

A couple close up pics:

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-977cb1d3-fc29-47eb-aca5-90a840385f09-jpeg
    Pic of neck pickup showing forward mounting screw, pickup cutout and adjustment screw notch. The cutout is shaped using the edge of a 2x4 wrapped in sandpaper. You can see how it perfectly fits a standard size humbucker. (The adjustment notch is not quite as precise due to freehand cutting with my Dremel tool).

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-3b0282da-968d-4127-87e2-67c2632609fe-jpeg
    Bridge pickup cutout and adjustment screw notch.
    Mighty sweet work. I did get a bound black pickguard, like yours, that I could use..If it works out, terrific... I also discovered that the pickguard on mine is also attached on the front end with a screw into the top, with a spacer.... I am going to post some a picture of my guitar. I leave the strings uncut on the tuning machines, in case I want to remove them and reuse them. I can this can create sympathetic vibrations, but since these are TI's (GB round wounds) no sense throwing $30 out the window...
    Thanks again for the great pictures. Looks good.

Here's the guitar..
    .In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-es775-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow! She’s a beauty. Good luck. To avoid sympathetic vibrations, I typically use plastic or rubber tubing as a spacer under the front mounting screw (between guitar top plate and underside of pickguard). Then, I affix self-adhesive black foam to the underside of the pickguard to rest against the pickup mounting rings.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-966a4da8-3bda-419e-ba50-757bb4ef3e42-jpeg

This stuff is a miracle. I buy it at the shop my wife goes to for her craft supplies. Adhesive backed. Fairly dense foam. Many uses, but it eliminates the annoying vibrations from a pickguard.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-54937a18-f2d1-43df-a686-6c498a4fa0ed-jpeg
    Note tubing used as spacer (Screw loosened to show spacer). Be sure to check to ensure the spacer doesn’t react with your nitro finish.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-9b84ce6e-88b2-48d3-a221-2b50ccbad5f5-jpeg
    Here is a pic of the foam between pickguard and the pickup ring. Look closely and you’ll see a thin strip of black foam right in the center of the photo. Works amazingly well to make the pickguard rock solid and not permit buzzes or unwanted vibration. I typically run it along the whole edge of the pickup cutout. Invisible from above.

Roli

User Info Menu

Here's the guitar..
    .In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-es775-jpg
    Your ES-775 appears to have an ebony fretboard, knobs, and tailpiece insert. Although it wouldn't look original, having someone like luthier Stephen Holst of Oregon make you an ebony pickguard (he will do any shape/style) would look pretty nice on your guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Your ES-775 appears to have an ebony fretboard, knobs, and tailpiece insert. Although it wouldn't look original, having someone like luthier Stephen Holst of Oregon make you an ebony pickguard (he will do any shape/style) would look pretty nice on your guitar!
    Thanks...yes, the ES775 was all duded-out in ebony. My understanding is that the original pickguard was tortoise. So, I think that's what I'll go with (although an ebony pickguard would be cool).

Wow! She’s a beauty. Good luck. To avoid sympathetic vibrations, I typically use plastic or rubber tubing as a spacer under the front mounting screw (between guitar top plate and underside of pickguard). Then, I affix self-adhesive black foam to the underside of the pickguard to rest against the pickup mounting rings.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-966a4da8-3bda-419e-ba50-757bb4ef3e42-jpeg

This stuff is a miracle. I buy it at the shop my wife goes to for her craft supplies. Adhesive backed. Fairly dense foam. Many uses, but it eliminates the annoying vibrations from a pickguard.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-54937a18-f2d1-43df-a686-6c498a4fa0ed-jpeg
    Note tubing used as spacer (Screw loosened to show spacer). Be sure to check to ensure the spacer doesn’t react with your nitro finish.

In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-9b84ce6e-88b2-48d3-a221-2b50ccbad5f5-jpeg
    Here is a pic of the foam between pickguard and the pickup ring. Look closely and you’ll see a thin strip of black foam right in the center of the photo. Works amazingly well to make the pickguard rock solid and not permit buzzes or unwanted vibration. I typically run it along the whole edge of the pickup cutout. Invisible from above.

Roli
    Looks like a cool trick....

I was really lucky to run across this guitar. THe more I play it, the more I realize what a find it is. And it is in awesome condition (barring the missing pickguard, which is no biggy....I play fingerstyle anyway.)

User Info Menu

The last guitar on my bucket list is an L-4 CES. Your ES-775 is beautiful. I love the neck pickup placement being like the L-4. Nice guitar.

The last guitar on my bucket list is an L-4 CES. Your ES-775 is beautiful. I love the neck pickup placement being like the L-4. Nice guitar.
    Yes, an L-4 CES would be a fine guitar indeed....
    I really lucked out on the ES-775...The internet is a fine thing..
    thank you for the input

User Info Menu

I know this thread is a couple years old, but I came into an ES-775 without a pickguard and never saw an obvious solution posted and OP never responded to my DM.

I'm in NYC and don't have access to many tools to make my own but I gambled on an L-4CES Reissue pickguard that it would fit and it does. Specifically Model Number PG 20312 from Pickguard Planet: Gibson "L" Series Hollowbodies - Pickguard Planet

PG 20312: GIBSON L-4 REISSUE
    2 hum, 3" gap between pu cuts, dimples
    for pu screws, 1 screw by neck, tip of
    guard to top of neck pu cut measures
    7/8"

This info is in case someone in the future has the same question as it was kind of a pain to figure out. I have to run to the hardware store for a screw and some glue before I can get a perfect alignment for a photo but it's kind of a relief as I haven't been able to play to my full ability on this thing as I anchor my picking hand to the pickguard.
    Attached Images Attached Images In Search of Pickguard for Gibson ES-775-319041262_863279251582634_8645991004618602670_n-jpg 
    Last edited by 11SecretHerbsAndSpices; 12-18-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Didn't need to have hte imgur link