The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

dearmond dynasonics are amongst my fave pups ever...so this new issue from guild is of interest

good review from jb @ premierguitar...a lot of diverse tones

and bigsby is b6 style..so can be removed with no holes/damage to top...for the non bigsby folks

1-11/16 nut width

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That won't make me forget a falcon or the original mia ones, but that's quite a sound, there. And I like that they did something different with the look that actually paid off for once.

Pity that it only has one bigsby

That j-bo is an underrated review guy, too.

User Info Menu

The B6 is a great idea, for those that want it and those who will pull it off.

User Info Menu

I think that thing sounds great... I wish My Gretsch Hot Rod (with Filtertrons) sounded like that. I wonder how much of that tone is the Dearmond pickups, and how big a roll the SPRUCE top plays (most 2-pickups arch tops in the "Gretsch style", as this one is, have maple tops)

User Info Menu

well guild has their "regular" x-175 with franz pickups to compare

tho i think its the dynasonics...they are a unique pickup...there's a lot going inside their relatively small size....great old school design...plus unlike filtertrons they sit on top of guitar not in it...changes tone

cheers

User Info Menu

What's not to like? The Dynasonic is a fabulous pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    What's not to like? The Dynasonic is a fabulous pickup.
    absolutely mg..unfortunately very underrated pickup in the jazz scene

dynas are super unique..have magnet polepieces (like fender) only they can be raised and lowered like screw slugs via an intricate interior spring elevator system...so theres a lot of metal inside that little pup..that contributes to it's tone..real rube goldberg type stuff

it also used thinner coil wire..so its got clean hi-fi tone...

caveat being that its single coil..so susceptible to hum...like all single coils from cc on

but for single coil fans, it's one of the best

the gibson alnico v pickup was a direct rip off of the dearmond..they told seth to basically copy it

cheers

ps- also the fact (as i mentioned above ^) that the pup sits on the body rather than in it, also contributes to its unique tone..almost like a floater compared to a routed pup

User Info Menu

Well, I LOVE the T-Armonds (TV Jones, Filtertron-sized, Dearmond type pickups for anything Filtertron equipped), in my thinline Cabronita. L-O-V-E.

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-cabronita-t-armonds-jpg

User Info Menu

Dynasonics are one of my favourite pickups for jazz. Those new Guilds look really impressive!
    They are hi-fi for sure but not in a sterile way.

They're extremely sensitive to adjustments but by altering the height of the poles in relation to the height of the bobbin itself there's a huge variety of sounds available. Can be bright and twangy or big and boomy... but always great sounding.

In my experience they're a lot less noisy than other single coils... P90s hum a lot more!

this is one of my fav clips of the great Sal Salvador playing his Dynasonic equipped Gretsch at Newport

User Info Menu

Well, it's interesting.... Gibson had the "staple" pickup. Then Dearmond came out with their magnet-pole-adjustable pickup (or was that the other way 'round?)... anyway, then Gibson dumped the Staple in favor of the newer P90.... no doubt the staple and Dearmond, with their elevator mechanisms, were more expensive to produce. But there's something special about magnet-pole pickups, especially BIG ones like the staple and Dearmond. Kinda like a P-90, just as fat, but CLEAR. Not as much growl, tighter bass register. I like P90s too, but definitely prefer Dearmonds/T-Armonds. (I also had TV Jones T-90s in this guitar).

User Info Menu

I have a mint sunburst X-175 with the Franz type of pickups that I will sell cheap if anyone is interested. Case and case candy included. PM me if you are interested. The price will be so attractive that you won’t be able to pass it up. I promise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have a mint sunburst X-175 with the Franz type of pickups that I will sell cheap if anyone is interested. Case and case candy included. PM me if you are interested. The price will be so attractive that you won’t be able to pass it up. I promise.
    If we weren't in this damned "shutdown" (I am currently out of work), I would take you up on that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    If we weren't in this damned "shutdown" (I am currently out of work), I would take you up on that...
    It won’t be going anywhere soon. I’ll put it up in the classifieds at JGF when things start to return to normal. Might be months.

User Info Menu

dearmond was before gibson alnico v "staple"...gibson told seth lover to kinda/sorta copy the dearmond dynasonic!! haha

the dearmond was first!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I think it’s a wonderful guitar, even if I‘m not a fan of that blue color (but it‘s satin at least). I‘ve owned the X175 Manhattan with the great great Franz pickups reissues:
    New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-18b5ae4c-f5b2-4cb9-8a51-c9397912ff3c-jpg
    A wonderful guitar with a three piece neck (!) and a bargain compared to other guitars in that price range. The B6 Guildsby is fantastic and I would leave it in any case, it‘s part if the tone. The pickups in the new version sounds really great, Dynasonics are superb sounding pickups. Check also the video from RJ Ronquillo. I‘ve sold my Manhattan (and it still makes me sad) because of those darn high vintage type frets. I can‘t get used to them and I‘m afraid the new version’s got them too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    I think it’s a wonderful guitar, even if I‘m not a fan of that blue color (but it‘s satin at least). I‘ve owned the X175 Manhattan with the great great Franz pickups reissues:
    New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-18b5ae4c-f5b2-4cb9-8a51-c9397912ff3c-jpg
    A wonderful guitar with a three piece neck (!) and a bargain compared to other guitars in that price range. The B6 Guildsby is fantastic and I would leave it in any case, it‘s part if the tone. The pickups in the new version sounds really great, Dynasonics are superb sounding pickups. Check also the video from RJ Ronquillo. I‘ve sold my Manhattan (and it still makes me sad) because of those darn high vintage type frets. I can‘t get used to them and I‘m afraid the new version’s got them too...
    How does that Swart do for jazz tones (and which one is it)? I always imagined it would do them quite well... it's the next amp on my list (I'm getting the head/cab AST MKII I think)

And those Manhattan's with the P90s has me seriously thinking of putting a set on my Gretsch Hot Rod...

User Info Menu

yeah that swart amp/franz guild guitar combo ^ is super cool!

se-why didnt you just get the frets filed down a bit??

the franz pups are like slightly underwound p-90's...

legendary uk session guitarist chris spedding with his gibby p90 equipped 6120

cheers

User Info Menu

How does that Swart do for jazz tones (and which one is it)? I always imagined it would do them quite well... it's the next amp on my list (I'm getting the head/cab AST MKII I think)

And those Manhattan's with the P90s has me seriously thinking of putting a set on my Gretsch Hot Rod...
    It‘s the STR Tremolo, one of the best amps I know- but not as good as my SF Champ...

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-203aa6af-6d1a-4aaf-9bb2-9ede218b54a2-jpg

Anyway, the Swart works good on Jazz if you like it a bit raunchy. By the way- my wish would be a M75 Aristocrat in black with Dynasonics.
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 04-03-2020 at 04:45 AM.

User Info Menu

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-3b230079-d211-4028-acba-dfa7080d3202-jpg
    Here‘s another impression. The quality and even the Hardware on the korean made Guilds are upper class!

User Info Menu

It‘s the STR Tremolo, one of the best amps I know- but not as good as my SF Champ...

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-203aa6af-6d1a-4aaf-9bb2-9ede218b54a2-jpg

Anyway, the Swart works good on Jazz if you like it a bit raunchy. By the way- my wish would be a M75 Aristocrat in black with Dynasonics.
    Yeah, after your post, I did a little digging... I guess the STR doesn't have much headroom. Seems the AST is the one with the headroom, if wanted.

User Info Menu

Yeah, after your post, I did a little digging... I guess the STR doesn't have much headroom. Seems the AST is the one with the headroom, if wanted.
    Yes, the Swart STR is more on the british side, but a wonderful little amp. I nevertheless prefer the Champ for it‘s simplicity and dynamic. Together with the Sole-mate it‘s sonic heaven.
    New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-6c3f2e04-4d02-4981-8bcc-bf13d7915f13-jpg

User Info Menu

Back to topic:

But RJ makes everything sound good

And @ruger9: for comparison the X175 Manhattan with the Swart clean:
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 04-03-2020 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    dearmond dynasonics are amongst my fave pups ever...so this new issue from guild is of interest

good review from jb @ premierguitar...a lot of diverse tones

and bigsby is b6 style..so can be removed with no holes/damage to top...for the non bigsby folks

1-11/16 nut width

cheers
    Why ?

User Info Menu

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-3b230079-d211-4028-acba-dfa7080d3202-jpg
    Here‘s another impression. The quality and even the Hardware on the korean made Guilds are upper class!
    I’m seriously getting a woody just looking at that...naked Grovers with a striped neck...

User Info Menu

The X-175 Special is one of my favorite Guild archtops! The build quality is excellent. I don't like the satin Malibu Blue finish, but it I fell in love with the gloss amber version and had to have it.

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-x-175spec-f-jpg

New Guild X-175 (w Dynasonics)-x-175spec-r-jpg