The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Got this coming my way on Tuesday. It’s a Kendrick New JoyZee amp. Originally it was the Trainwreck Climax, they made 100 of them, crazy expensive. About the time Ken Fischer and Gerald Weber had a business falling out (money, what else) these were sold as kits. Mine was assembled by an aerospace engineer, bug assed Kendrick transformers and brown frame 12inch speakers, 6v6 and 6l6 tubes. Monster powerful 35 watts. It’s got two channels
    The American Channel
    the clean channel on the left, think mega blackface to tweed tone.

Clean volume, Texas Tea, treble, bass, reverb.

While on the clean channel adjustomg the Texas Tea knob takes you from blackface tones into tweed. I’m very interested in horsing around with this as I like both. The name Texas Tea allegedly referring to Stevie Ray. I’m hoping for a lot of touch sensitivity on both channels.

The British channel on the right has

lead volume, treble, middle, bass, master presence, master high-cut

this gets you into some pretty crazy territory. You can go from a Vox AC30 sound into more Marshall tones

Reading the different stories it sounds like Gerald called it New JoyZee in smirking homage to Ken Fischer with many thinking he was thumbing his nose at Ken during their spat.

dug out my L5 today and while taking these shots the damn thing slips over the arm of the chair and fell behind it. Kerplop. Lucky for me she’s fine, once I get this posted I gotta go say a bunch of Hail Marys and Our Fathers in appreciation

Due to the social distancing, everyone in my building goes out on their porches at 5pm. I’m gonna lug both out there on the first warm day and serenade everyone. We’re gonna do a song service since all the churches are closed.

stay safe boys

Big

Kendrick New JoyZee Amp Kit - GuitarPlayer.com

Incoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-b3d931cb-d5f3-4bb9-a876-4203e62b688d-jpgIncoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-a4c7d87f-4475-41e9-82b3-cdf3e9700bee-jpgIncoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-3d77dc63-d949-4fb8-8ac6-685ec17e3bf7-jpgIncoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-fd9e74c7-4a54-4c5b-af9c-5a52966272cb-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 03-29-2020 at 09:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vah-vah voom! That's a sweet lookin' rig, Big! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

good stuff big...kendrick amps are nice..and i really like kendrick speakers!!

careful with that L5...what a beauty...

enjoy...hallelujah

cheers

User Info Menu

Beautiful amp and even more beautiful guitar huge congrats. I've got the Kendrick Black Gold 35. These used to be Kendrick's budget line that was supposed to compete with the Fender Amps.. Iys only okish... certainly not my favorite...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I looked at those black golds. Actually many of his amp designs are pretty amazing. I went to a 3 Amigos guitar show in 1995 in San Mateo CA with some old buddies of mine. In a side room off he main floor Ken had some of his amps on display.

A while back there was a thread announcing the auctioning of Walter Beckers gear.
    In searching through links on Trainwrecks I ran across his amp, it sold for around $5200.00 plus auction house fees (25%)
    that’s quite a score

WALTER BECKER KENDRICK "TRAINWRECK" CLIMAX COMBO AMPLIFIER - Price Estimate: $1000 - $2000

im getting more excited all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    Beautiful amp and even more beautiful guitar huge congrats. I've got the Kendrick Black Gold 35. These used to be Kendrick's budget line that was supposed to compete with the Fender Amps.. Iys only okish... certainly not my favorite...

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 03-30-2020 at 12:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    I looked at those black golds. Actually many of his amp designs are pretty amazing. I went to a 3 As mucosa guitar show in 1995 with some old buddies of mine. In a dude room off he main floor Ken had some of his amps on display.

A while back there was a thread announcing the auctioning of Walter Beckers gear.
    In searching through links on Trainwrecks I ran across his amp, it sold for around $6000.00 plus auction house fees (25%)
    that’s quite a score

WALTER BECKER KENDRICK "TRAINWRECK" CLIMAX COMBO AMPLIFIER - Price Estimate: $1000 - $2000

im getting more excited all the time.
    The Trainwreck is indeed a very nice amp. Appearance wise it looks exactly like my BG-35...Funny... I've heard about Walter Becker's action... Man... This guy had so much gear, I don't even know what you can do with so much stuff.. Its almost like he got into CME and just bought the entire store or something...so your amp was part of his collection? Its very cool if it was...

User Info Menu

No, my amp is not from his collection. You misread my op. Makes me wish I’d looked at that auction a bit closer, I met him at a friends house in Canoga Park in 1977. Steely Dan was promoting their release of Aja snd Walter stopped by my buddy's place for a tune up before going on a local fm radio station to play tracks and be the brilliantly funny guy he was. RIP

User Info Menu

Remember it was Walter Becker who coined the phrase GAS all those years ago in a guest column in Guitar Player magazine

http://sdarchive.com/gas.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    The Trainwreck is indeed a very nice amp. Appearance wise it looks exactly like my BG-35...Funny... I've heard about Walter Becker's action... Man... This guy had so much gear, I don't even know what you can do with so much stuff.. Its almost like he got into CME and just bought the entire store or something...so your amp was part of his collection? Its very cool if it was...

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 03-30-2020 at 12:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Remember it was Walter Becker who coined the phrase GAS all those years ago in a guest column in Guitar Player magazine

http://sdarchive.com/gas.html
    Very interesting... Thanks for sharing this....I didn't know that he was the one who coined this phrase...but he had some good points there. Even though he was guilty as charged Incoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.Incoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.

User Info Menu

Arrived today
    We have a new driver who I haven’t trained eith tips yet. It was in the lobby though it was signature required . Had to push it down a 75 ft long carpeted hallway, then through my place to the living room. The amp weigh close to 60 pounds, the magnets on these speakers are real honkers

She’s all unpsckrd and I’m catching my breath. The GB12 I got last year.

Big

Incoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-73cb3649-cd75-4c6c-84a5-69544b08410f-jpgIncoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-357aa8d1-5f6c-49b6-9486-599c2cb80b9c-jpgIncoming: Kendrick New JoyZee amp.-468508f6-2e7f-4371-b40b-6947f09c6815-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 03-31-2020 at 09:02 PM.

User Info Menu

That was kind of Bugs Bunny to name your amp. Those pics look awesome. Turn it up and make some friends.

User Info Menu

Well this is one I've never heard of before... would love to HEAR it being put through it's paces...

User Info Menu

man, there’s no way I’m gonna open this one up. But here’s a link to an ad for another, I’m gonna convert this one to a 1-12 combo. I know an amp guy in Connecticut I’m gonna have him put the right tube set in it to knock it down more into deluxe reverb output range, get a knotty pine cabinet and Kendrick 12 inch speaker. Make this one more like Walter Becker’s combo>

boys, I know I’m nuts. It’s who I am...

kendrick new joyzee - Yahoo Search Results

Kendrick New Joy Zee New Joyzee Amp Handwired Head
    Kendrick New Joy Zee New Joyzee Amp Handwired Head | Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Mike, that is one of the most involved 'kits' out there. Could you please post a gut shot?

User Info Menu

I’m gonna convert this one to a 1-12 combo. . . get a knotty pine cabinet and Kendrick 12 inch speaker. Make this one more like Walter Becker’s combo . . . . boys, I know I’m nuts. It’s who I am...

Naw, I get that.

The Becker auction inspired me too -- I put together a Steve Klein copy electric because I saw one at The Becker.

I know an amp guy in Connecticut I’m gonna have him put the right tube set in it to knock it down more into deluxe reverb output range

Even if you went down to 2x 6V6 it would be a honkin' loud amp unless you put in a smaller output tran . . . which you really don't want to do.

Enjoy it in good health. Your neighbors need a demonstration of your new piece!

User Info Menu

Never fear
    those trannies are part of the soul of that amp
    they staying