The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Well this is old stuff, but. I am always on the lookout for a nice electric guitar with piezo bridge. Most models have two separate outs, or separate outs with one being a combined out if used that way. So if you want you can send your piezo to an acoustic amp (or pa) and your mag out to a regular guitar amp.

So I was very excited to learn about the Gibson SG Supra, with its flamey body, high access double cut, bound mahogany neck, and piezo in the bridge. (And of course the beautiful high-end model split blocks.)

Gibson f**** up again.-gibson-sg-supra-jpg

But hold on! They stupidly designed the guitar with ONE jack, a stereo/mono. So any time you want to send your signals separately, you MUST have a stereo cable with you. I really prefer two jacks, so I never have to worry about having that stereo cable - I can use all of my regular cables. And cables do go bad at the worst times! With the SG Supra that means you always need to have two stereo cables with you just in case.

It's too bad, because it checks off all the boxes. EXCEPT one of the most important ones! How could this company possibly make such a bone-headed decision?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-28-2020 at 11:23 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Having a stereo can be a faff. Mind you two jacks would be a faff too.

thats why I abandoned the electric piezo thing.

User Info Menu

Nice looking axe. I have a Godin LGX for piezo duty and FWIW I think I would prefer 1 stereo cable to having 2 outputs - it's 1 less cable to trip over or get tangled. That SG looks killer.

User Info Menu

For me personally they made the best choice. I would not want two cables coming from an electric guitar when the goal can be accomplished with one. Having a couple proper stereo cables at the ready seems a very small price to pay for doing what you are trying to do.

User Info Menu

If everyone pitched in and bought this for you, would you remove the thread?

Gibson f**** up again.-s-l400-jpg

User Info Menu

Wiring aside, that is the prettiest SG I have seen in a long while. Looks like a real rocker.

User Info Menu

What Gibson does best is build great guitars! Electronics not so much!
    The good news is it's a pretty easy fix and shouldn't cost too much.

User Info Menu

If they made this guitar with 2 outputs, there would be a thread about how awful they are for forcing us to use 2 cables.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    If they made this guitar with 2 outputs, there would be a thread about how awful they are for forcing us to use 2 cables.
    I have a dozen stereo "Y" cables I'd donate one. The 345 has similar issues with players, well at least it'll run with one.

User Info Menu

My Parker's all needed Y cables. Never crossed my mind that it was a bad idea.

Well I make most of my music income in music theater, so my needs may be different from many of yours. My piezo guitars with two outs have been a Godsend, feeding to 2 amps or direct and amp, and switching at a moments notice. And messing around with different kinds of cables between several guitars in the dark when everyone is waiting? No thanks. I just keep my supply of regular cables with me. I have used Godin, Ibanez, and (currently) PRS and Kiesel. All great. There is no way for the practical performer that the one jack stereo out is the most logical choice. Too bad, because otherwise I'd be on one before the coins hit the floor.

Ever wondered why this model was a complete failure and they are always up for sale used, now dipping well below $2K? And other piezo guitars (with two jacks) are still selling NEW to pros? Answer: One stupid stereo jack without the other option for both.

Folks, I grew up loving Gibson and still do, but this was just another non-reseached f***up.

User Info Menu

Speaking of stereo inputs...reminds me of my favorite stereo, a Harmon Kardon HK 560...bought it in 1980 from a place called HiFi Heaven in Chattanooga. Smooth-talking audio salesman...I remember the longish hair, sideburns and 'stache, along with the aviator glasses, like it was yesterday. 40 WPC of pure audio dynamite. Input from a JVC DD turntable with Ortofon cartridge, into Infinity Qa speakers. Spent half of my summer job money on that baby, and well worth it.

Sadly, each piece bit the dust over time, so now there is nothing left but the memory. Oh I still have all the vinyls.

Now, where were we? Gibson SG--wow that is a nice looking guitar. I could almost invent a use for that.

User Info Menu

My Brian Moore C-55P has a Y cable for that same perpuse and it works beautifully, but any skilled luthier can change the input wiring for you on the guitar...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

In theory stereo cables might work, but in reality they don't. They don't work as flawlessly as mono ones, are more prone to bad connection and noise when you move, you are stuck with stereo cables only, extra connectors etc.. If you work with these guitars having two separate jacks, you don't even consider having a stereo jack again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Ever wondered why this model was a complete failure and they are always up for sale used, now dipping well below $2K? And other piezo guitars (with two jacks) are still selling NEW to pros? Answer: One stupid stereo jack without the other option for both.
    No I have never wondered about that.
    But now that you mention it I would guess that its because electric guitar thru a piezo is usually crap - and certainly nothing that the typical SG buyer wants anything to do with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    But now that you mention it I would guess that its because electric guitar thru a piezo is usually crap - and certainly nothing that the typical SG buyer wants anything to do with.
    The main reason for a piezo on a guitar like this is to have an acoustic-sounding option on a guitar which is used for many things, which someone who plays in musical theater would find very handy.

As discussed, given the back access I don't think it would be too hard to add a second input jack.

So the typical SG buyer knows the limits of onboard piezo more than the typical PRS, Ibanez, Godin, or other buyer. Wow you ARE blind Gibson fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Nope, reasons layed out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Gibson f**** up again.-gibson-sg-supra-jpg

...... How could this company possibly make such a bone-headed decision?
    Perhaps it's because they already decided to put 3 PUs and thought that a 2nd jack would have been too much
    They didn't put a 7th string on that and nobody noticed !

Lovely top BTW !

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    If everyone pitched in and bought this for you, would you remove the thread?

Gibson f**** up again.-s-l400-jpg
    Nope. Because why on earth would you want to always rely on having to need one of these on hand, when you already have the two regular cables regardless?

So working musicians who know what they need in piezo equiped electric guitars are still buying PRS, Godin, Carvin/Kiesel, Ibanez, etc. But the Supra failed (unfortunately) because SG buyers know more than all of them. Wow, riiiight...

Uninformed corporate persons telling the working person what they are supposed to want. Well sorry Gibson, you were wrong, and it failed. And lest you think I am a Gibson hater, I reiterate. I have used 335, ES-Artist, Johnny Smith, LesPaul, etc. If this Supra had a proper output layout, I'd have been using one already, and it would probably be my main pit electric guitar. Again, it's a shame that their implementation was so misinformed.

User Info Menu

Since you have very specific needs from a piezo equipped guitar, why didn't you research the features of that beautiful SG prior to purchase? It is easy to blame Gibson for their lack of including a dual output jack, but one's own due diligence is also in play.

That is a very beautiful and unique SG. If it does not meet your needs it should be easy enough to sell it and put your funds towards a more suitable guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Since you have very specific needs from a piezo equipped guitar, why didn't you research the features of that beautiful SG prior to purchase? It is easy to blame Gibson for their lack of including a dual output jack, but one's own due diligence is also in play.

That is a very beautiful and unique SG. If it does not meet your needs it should be easy enough to sell it and put your funds towards a more suitable guitar.
    He does not own it. He is just complaining that it's not designed to his personal preference.

User Info Menu

I don’t care much about the jacks but looking at that pic — first time I’ve ever felt a pang of interest in an SG. Purty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I used stereo ES-355 guitars for a number of years. I'd much rather have one cable running from my playing position to the amplification and split it out from there. My BB King Custom and a number of Ricks had two jacks--I always used them in mono.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 03-28-2020 at 07:54 PM.