The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

I play epiphones

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I quite like the AT16. I figure it can’t be that pricey right? It hasn’t got a pickup.

Collings AT-16 | Archtop Guitar

I suppose I could always go for one of those Waterloo budget models :-)

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I quite like the AT16. I figure it can’t be that pricey right? It hasn’t got a pickup.

Collings AT-16 | Archtop Guitar

I suppose I could always go for one of those Waterloo budget models :-)

Last price I saw on a new AT was around $20,000. Can't remember where I saw that? But I about choked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Last price I saw on a new AT was around $20,000. Can't remember where I saw that? But I about choked.
    Except you can’t actually buy them so the price may as well be infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Except you can’t actually buy them so the price may as well be infinite.

Valid point.

User Info Menu

I am fortunate enough to own a Collings City Limits Jazz, ordered in 2015 and delivered in June of 2017. I was recently back in the shop where I purchased it and mentioned the rather obvious increase in prices to the shop owner. He told me that Collings is struggling to pay a wage that will allow their employees to continue to live in Austin.

I know Austin is a target area for people wanting to leave California and that has driven up the prices. I did some checking and found the following:

According to GoBankingRates, Austin ranks second in terms of the biggest percentage increase in its "cost to live comfortably" index among 50 cities studied, yet the highest in terms of actual dollars required. Let's not sugarcoat it with euphemisms any further: The study finds that the cost to live "comfortably" in Austin skyrocketed 33.92 percent from 2017 to 2018 — a year-over-year increase of $18,532.

That is a lot of pressure on the company and the employees who want to remain in Austin. Could the same type of pressure contributed to Gibson leaving Kalamazoo for Nashville?

Note: Found an ‘83 AT-17 on Reverb for $19k, been listed for 5 months.
    Last edited by Betz; 04-03-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Add some found for sale

From what I've been hearing lately Nashville is the new Los Angeles. I guess it's undergoing unprecedented growth.

User Info Menu

Speaking of flat- vs archtops, has it ever been determined on this forum which is less costly to build ? For example, if you built an L-7 and D-18 ( 24 ? ) and placed them side by side, and offered them for sale - - which would cost more to produce, take longer, require more man hours, etc etc ?

Sorry if this has been answered here.....

User Info Menu

An archtop due to carving among other things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    An archtop due to carving among other things.
    By a mile. Many miles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    All in my absolutely useless humble opinion.
    Humble, maybe not Useless, definitely not. Tnx for the detailed post.

User Info Menu

Missed this somehow!!! I want a Collins I-35LC with Throbaks SO BAD..... The P90 version is good too, but the HB version... wow...