The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I'd be interested in trying a Benedetto. Or the P90 175 that Jim Hall played. For an amp, I'd like to try the Bud and a Twin. But that's just chasing somebody else's sound.

Or, talk to Bill Comins about a custom guitar. Small body semihollow with a really skinny neck (around the house I play a Yamaha Pacifica 012) -- if Mr. Comins thinks a skinny neck can sound thick in the upper register. That's for arthritic hands.

All that said, I'm pretty happy with the rig I've been using. Comins GCS-1, Boss ME80 and Little Jazz. That's about $2200 new.
    Boss me-80 pretty fun. Not as nice sounding as individual analog units, but it has a lot, you can do some pretty outside things what with the pitch pedal, delays, ring mod etc. Pretty good for when you need them...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I actually wouldn’t mind replacing exactly what I have. In short, three Gibson hollow bodies, 4 Fender-type partscasters, a Martin acoustic and a Martin hybrid nylon string. Throw in a couple of decent 12” combos and I’d be good.

User Info Menu

Assuming I had no foreseeable "need" for the money, I'd buy beaten-down, dividend-paying stocks which I'd turn into $24K in a couple of years!

Then I'd extract $12K (leaving the other $12K to grow) and purchase some used gear. Probably a Trenier oval hole similar to what I have now and then some sort of not-too-deep-body laminate archtop. Henriksen Bud 10 or Alfresco, one Henriksen instrument cable. Three or four Blue Chip KS60's unbeveled. Done.

User Info Menu

I'd start with the most versatile gear and see how I feel after. I'd first get

* a Dumble-style clone amp to get great cleans and great overdrive (Quinn, Glaswerks)
    * 2x12 cab - probably a Dr Z Z Best with one alnico and one ceramic speaker
    * some type of laminate semi-hollow e.g. ES-335

That would cover the most bases. At some point, I'd probably need an acoustic and having a pickup would help with versatility so a Trenier with round wound strings.

I have a lot of gear, but I play a Dumble-style clone and a Les Paul the most nowadays.

User Info Menu

A vintage ES 330, a Collings 335 clone w. Throbacks, a Martin 0018, Hofner bass, and if I had enough, some sort of L5CES or close clone.

User Info Menu

I’d build a really hot-rodded PC, first. After that, I’d get an SB Epi Broadway Elitist and use whatever was left to pad the bank account.

User Info Menu

Putting the practical things aside, which is the intent, I'd buy in person lesson time with some musicians who inspire me. In the post social distancing world that would include spending money on air fare and other logistical necessities for domestic and international travel.

User Info Menu

I'd give 10K to Mark Campellone and have him build me something real sweet. With the other 2k I would shop for the perfect amp for that guitar. The rest I would use to buy a cup of coffee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I'd give 10K to Mark Campellone and have him build me something real sweet. With the other 2k I would shop for the perfect amp for that guitar. The rest I would use to buy a cup of coffee.

If you paid UK prices for a cup of coffee, you could afford the amp, but not the guitar as well...

User Info Menu

If all my guitars and amps were to disappear, I would be very sad to see many years of refining my stable lost.

If I had $12,000 to start over, I'd try for the following:
    • Natural Gibson L-4 CES ($3,500) This may be a little low, but I'll wait on this one.
    • Viceroy Brown Burst Gibson Tal Farlow ($4,500)
    • Olympic White Road Worn 60s Stratocaster and Case ($1,000)
    • Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb ($800)
    • Marshall SV20H amp and SV212 speaker cabinet ($1,800)
    • Fulltone Deja-Vibe 2 ($200) Mike has been doing some great deals lately
    • Fulltone OCD ($130) Mike has been doing some great deals lately
    • 2 sets of TI JS 12 + 1 set Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10s ($70)

I think every serious player needs a Les Paul and a Tele as well. But I'll just have to get a few gigs and save up for those.

Fun hypothetical! Thanks Tom!

Roli
    Last edited by rolijen; 03-26-2020 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I think I might buy a Campellone and another Wu. Wu builds acoustics that I love the sound of, and I would like to try a Campellone. I would probably put a Rhythm Chief pickup on both. For amps, I think I'd like a RE Luna and some model of RE cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender

10k for a Campellone would be pretty high. I think his Special (top of the line normal production) is $7k?

User Info Menu

Or V2 - PRS Private Stock of some sort? Nice option also. XD

User Info Menu

Used Campellone,Nickerson, Elferink,etc and a Partscaster. Quilter 1x8 combo!

User Info Menu

A used L5, a Vestax NY d'Angelico, a Mambo 8" wedge and with what's left i would start saving up and hunting for a used LeGrand.

edit:
    and of course a Ernie Ball volume pedal, a Carl Martin Parametric Preamp and a TC Ditto. (.... Not sure how long it would take to save for the LeGrand after spending all that money for the rest)

User Info Menu

PRS HB II
    Anderson Icon S and T

User Info Menu

I'm not sure, but I would have a lot of fun shopping.

User Info Menu

For 12K I would find a D'angelico Excel and I think I could at least in the current situation, I don't guitar are selling right now.

User Info Menu

I would get the best ES-175 I could get for the money, a Princeton Reverb for home and a Fishman Artist for taking out, and a nice classical. With the money left over I'd invest in some vintage guitars to collect and sell later.

BTW on Reverb the prices on 175s look REALLY GOOD right now...most in the $2-3000 range, some a bit more.

User Info Menu

That delectable 2020 Steve Andersen Vanguard SN549 for $6000, a Carr Rambler for $2730 in Black Gator, a nice Calton Case for $1250, the rest for records/CDs...

Come to think about it, MIM Squier Tele for $230, Boss Katana 50 Mk2 for $230, the rest for records/CDs as education for the ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I think I might buy a Campellone and another Wu. Wu builds acoustics that I love the sound of, and I would like to try a Campellone. I would probably put a Rhythm Chief pickup on both. For amps, I think I'd like a RE Luna and some model of RE cabinet.
    Before I picked my latest which is a HE ES-165 BJB, I ordered a Mr. Wu archtop. I am sure that I will keep both. Just a little worried about delivery, but it is still many months away from being finished. As people have said before here many times, Ms. Lora is a joy to work with. She knows what is important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    10k for a Campellone would be pretty high. I think his Special (top of the line normal production) is $7k?
    Standard - $ 5,200
    Deluxe - $ 6,750
    Special - $ 7,695
    Cameo - $10,500

Prices | MCampellone.com