The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Haven't had the opportunity to try one yet (that I know of), but there is a "Haiku 350h" listed locally....

Curious as to how a 23.5" scale compares to a 24.75 or 25.5. Does the difference in length have much impact physically? Since the tension is looser, I'll assume it darkens and mellows the sound out overall. Is it too subtle to really notice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could reasonably assume that 23.5” scale will have a bit less clarity and note separation. I have no experience with guitars but I can assure you that short scale bass guitars are distinctly “less distinct”. Sometimes you may want this effect, more often maybe not. I wouldn’t want it for my one and only guitar.

User Info Menu

Anthony Wilson never had any trouble coaxing a lovely tone out of his Birdie

User Info Menu

Excuse my ignorance on short scale guitars, but the Gibson Byrdland is the only 23" scale guitar that I know of in a good quality guitar.

If you want to know what a short scale guitar feels like, try tuning your guitar down to Eb .

Doug

User Info Menu

I think 24" of Jaguar / Jazzmaster would be too small for me, and strings would be strange. But I like idea of PRS SC 245 and 24.5".

User Info Menu

The shorter the scale the more finicky to tune. Many, including myself, find hitting harmonics a bit harder with a short scale.

User Info Menu

Cramped!

User Info Menu

I personally dig 24.5 of PRS or 24.75 of Gibson.

I'm worried too much about spagetti / strange strings on 24 and lower.
    And 25.5 is too big for my hands.

So for me 24.5 or 24.75 is nice in between.

User Info Menu

This is not 23.5 but it's only 24" and I have it strung with D'Addario Chrome extra lights (10 to 48). I think a lot of it has to do with how you play it but I don't think there's any lack of clarity in this.

User Info Menu

Take any Jaguar or Jazzmaster in hands, and see if you are going to like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Take any Jaguar or Jazzmaster in hands, and see if you are going to like it.
    Well, not a Jazzmaster, they're 25.5"

I had a short scale Larrivee parlor guitar once. It sounded lovely, but always felt weird to me. I eventually sold it.

User Info Menu

The only guitar I own with a shorter than normal scale is my Guild Brian May at 24". Sound wise it doesn't appear to be much of a difference between my other solid bodied guitars with 24.74,25, 25.5 scale lengths i.e. whatever differences can be made up via amp EQ and string gauge. Playing however is quite another thing. I have large hands and it is just too cramped for me in the 9th fret and above.

User Info Menu

i have a 24" jaguar...that was sorta leo's take on the byrdland!...and i also played the lennon style 3/4 rics...the trick is to use a bit heavier string..so that they don't bend out of tune as much when fingering...unless you have a very light touch like soloway has!^ ..then u can get away with 10's...but a ric ss works best with 13's!

jag is a bit brighter than the normal fender scaled 25.5 jazzmaster(which is prob my fave fender)..but cuts thru great in a mix

of course some people have issues with the cramped fretting size, but that aside, those are the differences i've found

cheers

User Info Menu

It's really subjective. It's like saying, "Will I like size X Adidas better than size X Saucony or New Balance running shoes?"

We can tell you what works or does not work for ourselves, but not for you.

Nobody's gettin' hold of my Byrd till they pry it from my cold, dead hands!

I wouldn't compare a Jaguar with it - solid body vs archtop, bolt neck vs set neck, sounds completely different. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Jag or maybe a Duo-Sonic someday, but not as a Byrd substitute.

Beside all of that, though, is the "individual guitar X factor." Ideally, play the specific guitar that is for sale before you part with the $. If not, see that other thread...

User Info Menu

My hands are small and I have arthritis and don't do well with big stretches. I had a 61 Byrdland but the neck was too narrow. I had a 76 that fit my hand perfectly. That scale works well for me.

User Info Menu

A lot of people have opinions on this, but very few have actually owned or played a real short scale.

The strings on my byrdland are a size chubbier than the rest of my guitars. Feels the damn same. Doesn't sound any warmer, really, but with all that spruce and maple, who's to say? But I'm pretty malleable and play with capos all the time so it doesn't really bug me. Your left arm and hand rest in a different place. That's about it.

I recently picked up a breedlove travel guitar thing that has the same scale length as the byrdland, and that felt like a toy. So I guess it's all in how it's built. If they make a real guitar, it'll be one. If they don't, it won't.

User Info Menu

When I played the 23.5" scale, I was able to do more of the Johnny Smith close voicing without killing my hand. I had the 76 first and then sold it to get the 61 with the PAFs. Little did I realize that the early 60s Byrdlands had a narrower neck than the other years. That was a pain in the neck. I experienced the same thing with a Rickenbacker. It looked cool but even with my little fingers it was a pain to play right. I sure wish I had the 76 Byrdland again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    My hands are small and I have arthritis and don't do well with big stretches. I had a 61 Byrdland but the neck was too narrow. I had a 76 that fit my hand perfectly. That scale works well for me.
    Same here. Maybe I'll look around for a Byrdland.

User Info Menu

I’m tempted to try a 24.75” conversion neck on my Tele.