The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I might do a few of these...just to compare.

So here's an acoustic archtop versus a grande bouche style gypsy jazz guitar, playing a little chords and melody. I'll try and do a rhythm and lead example too.

Nothing scientific here, guitars are a late 50's/early 60's 17" Kay and a Cigano gj-15. Inexpensive instruments, but also, in my opinion, they're decent examples of what these types of guitar sound like.

My initial impressions are:

1. Wow, the gypsy jazz guitar sounds so much louder when I play it, but in reality, it just has a lot more bass

2. I need to lotion up, dang my dry hands are squeaky

3. I should by an "O" hole gypsy jazz guitar to complete this comparison

Anyway, comments and chit chat are encouraged.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both sound nice. I prefer the warmer gypsy jazz guitar myself. When I saw "in the dark" I thought this was going to be a "blindfolded challenge"!

User Info Menu

They just cut the electric?

The first one. Maybe.

User Info Menu

Sounds good.

Gypsy guitar was both warmer and louder sounding. Louder sounds better usually. I liked the Gypsy guitar tone better (unless the additional loudness is messing with my perception).

It's dark?

User Info Menu

I agree with the others. The gypsy (romany?) sounds better. Sweeter. Fuller. Louder.

User Info Menu

My only complaint was you ended too soon. ? Would have liked to listen more.

User Info Menu

See, I didn't think the gypsy guitar was that much louder, just much fuller...

User Info Menu

Since it's really easy for me to record youtube directly to the transcribe app, that's what I did. I started recording when the Kay came in, there's a bit of your voice and then the gypsy guitar.

With the help of the image I'd say the transient-peaks are at about the same level (or maybe a slight bit higher for the Kay) other than the transients the gypsy guitar looks louder to me. Maybe that's mostly the bass as you said, but the gypsy guitar sounded balanced to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images An experiment, in the dark.-jeffs-comparison-png 

User Info Menu

Oh, that's very telling, I think. The loud is not dissimilar, but the quiet in guitar 2 is much louder, if that makes sense?

User Info Menu

There's no doubt the Gypsy (2nd one) was a fuller, richer sound. On the other hand, treble carries and is clearer. It's possible the Gypsy was too bass-y. Also, strangely, what is attractive at first may pale later. Like rich food. So, on balance, I'd probably take the archtop. But it depends what for.**

How do they compare plugged in? That could change things.

** Might depend on the tune. Gypsy guitars might be good for Gypsy music, archtops better for the usual jazz sound. After all, that's the basic difference in any case.

User Info Menu

I know I’m repeating myself but for the dry finger tips try just a tiny bit of Neutrogena Norwegian formula before you get into bed each night. I’ve never found anything else that works as well and it’s not expensive either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh, that's very telling, I think. The loud is not dissimilar, but the quiet in guitar 2 is much louder, if that makes sense?
    So, more.... dynamic?

User Info Menu

I am glad you did this.
    It tells me more definitively that there is a Gypsy Jazz guitar in my future.
    Maybe a Doug Martin..
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    So, more.... dynamic?
    Or less, I guess, on paper? I suppose this test shows the archtop has a wider dynamic range...

But It (the gypsy guitar) certainly feels more dynamic to me, because to me it sounds great played lightly or hard, whereas the archtop sounds best played firmly, but not excessively hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I am glad you did this.
    It tells me more definitively that there is a Gypsy Jazz guitar in my future.
    Maybe a Doug Martin..
    JD
    Do it Joe!

Look at D hole guitars, much sweeter sounding for this type of playing.

User Info Menu

I could listen to the second guitar, solo, for an entire evening. The first not nearly so much. That dry raspy sound, great for its historically/stylistically correct rhythmn thing. Otherwise....just MHO of course. Splendid playing,wanted more. Thanks!