The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Just for the record I don't play any of the genres I mentioned except for some occasional traditional and jump blues. Right now I'm concentrating mostly on straight jazz...mostly small combo and some big band (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Basie, etc.). I occasionally listen to bands like The Crusaders, George Duke, Tower Of Power and some "fusion". I play mostly straight swing and bop. Currently concentrating on chord melody playing.

I was really into "fusion" in the '70s and '80s and I have to admit I still have some of it floating around in what little brain I have left. That's why I'm asking about pedals and amps. Especially boost/OD pedals.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Just for the record I don't play any of the genres I mentioned except for some occasional traditional and jump blues. Right now I'm concentrating mostly on straight jazz...mostly small combo and some big band (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Basie, etc.). I occasionally listen to bands like The Crusaders, George Duke, Tower Of Power and some "fusion". I play mostly straight swing and bop. Currently concentrating on chord melody playing.

I was really into "fusion" in the '70s and '80s and I have to admit I still have some of it floating around in what little brain I have left. That's why I'm asking about pedals and amps. Especially boost/OD pedals.
    Amps: Any amp with sufficient clean headroom for your room. A 5 watt Champ type amp is fine for home or studio. For larger venues simply increase the amp wattage (Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux, Twin, etc.) based on the room size. Pick your favorite amp builder. I used Fender due to their popularity. Everyone has their favorite, but many on this forum are in love with Princetons. I own three variants, so I guess that includes me in that love affair.

As for pedals, my favorites for fusion, smooth jazz or RnB are (in no particular order) the following: Rat, Zendrive or Tube Screamer. The pedal used mostly depends on how it reacts to the amp and guitar being used. Also, some add a bit of midrange, and others are flat. All boost the front end of your amp.

Everyone hears things differently, so use whatever amp/pedal combination makes you happy.