The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Important to know if you target higher volume sound or more tamed down for living room...
    Lower sensitivity speaker are better at keeping the volume low like on the Alnico P10Q, while a Celestion Gold 10 or little buddy will give you more volume having a higher sensitivity. I was targeting a good clean tone at lower volume at around 4-5 and I followed Vinny's advice and the 5751 in V1 + P10Q gives me exactly what I need.
    Not to derail the OP's thread. I looking to purchase a Fender 1966 Princeton non-reverb model.

From what I under the JC10"N" was the "better" speaker than the original oxfords. This amp has the oxford.
    I just saw a 1966 C10"Q" for sale on eBay. My question is with no gain stage from non-reverb, assume lots of clean headroom, how the would C10Q work?

If I had bought a PRRI I would have put the 5751 in the V1 for sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    If I had bought a PRRI I would have put the 5751 in the V1 for sure.
    That's what I did in both PRRI and DRRI. I've never looked back. 😎

User Info Menu

Has anyone compared the the Jensen options p10r p10q (is it?) side by side?

The p10r was in a clone I tried compared to my Princeton which has a Eminence Legend. No way of telling how much tonal difference was the speaker. I was told the p10r not as loud but I would be happy with that compromise if the tonal difference was materially from that speaker (and AU$200 less than Celestion Gold).

Period correct does not matter to me, really interested in tonal difference.

User Info Menu

p10r is a 25 watt speaker..its more efficient..so will get louder with less watts...and break up faster when the cone gets pushed

p10q is 40 watts..its less efficient, so you'll have to drive your amp a tad harder but the speaker itself won't break up as quickly..it also has a deeper bottom end and more biting upper mids and highs

cheers

User Info Menu

neatomic you got your ears all over this topic. Can I ask if you have played the Jensens side by side with the Celestion Gold, if so what did you hear?

User Info Menu

yes, and a few others...the celestion gold is louder with the same amp settings...that's the first thing you notice...

it has deeper tighter smoother bottom, no mush...which i prefer with an open back cab or combo style amp...

has flat clear midrange and nice chimey top..

many other 10's have a flabby low end, and a midrange or upper mid honk

the gold sounds way more transparent

made in the uk...it's only caveat is its price!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-02-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

thanks I agree no mush flabby bottom, especially for a gigging amp please. Seems like I will have to save some pennies.

oh I just got goose bumps, Kenny Burrell Autumn in New York just started playing on my computer. Oh when he plays the chords, love that sound, Eminence is almost there but just seems to miss that top end sparkle.

User Info Menu

Here’s the current depth chart. My current plan is to do nothing; I want to spend a lot of time on that 2nd input first. Thanks all…

1-Celestion G10 Gold - 40W - $175 – Alnico

Tie for 2nd:
    2-Weber 10F150T - 50W - $94 – Ceramic
    2-Tone Tubby 40/40 - 40W - $159 – Ceramic

Eminence sounds cool although not exactly what I’m going for.

User Info Menu

Recommend Eminence Copperhead

Which 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?

User Info Menu

Hi guys, I installed the Celestion Gold and it sounds great. Except... there's this garbled decay sound on Bb in the top two octaves. Planning to give the retailer a call. It didn't make this sound with the Jensen.

It almost sounded like pedal interference, or a noisy digital sound (I'm just plugging straight in, no pedals). Tried with two guitars, same thing.

Any ideas other than try to get a replacement?

User Info Menu

I put the Jensen back in; that has the garbled sound too. So it's not the speaker, guitar, or room. What's next, the tubes? What tubes should I put in the Princeton???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    I put the Jensen back in; that has the garbled sound too. So it's not the speaker, guitar, or room. What's next, the tubes? What tubes should I put in the Princeton???
    I'm very satisfied with Tung-Sol 6V6GT's.

User Info Menu

I don't know exactly what I got when I purchased a Tone Tubby 40/40 used, but man did it sound like cardboard!
    It's a 10 inch speaker I put in my old Princeton Reverb. Being used, I don't know if it was broken-in or not. But I couldn't wait to tear it out. Especially since the Eminence (Fender) Legend 1058 I had in it sounded so good.

I don't understand the love for the TT's. Did I get a bad one? No Fender tone.

User Info Menu

I had to sell my Princeton RI, too many issues.

Oh I miss it. The Quilter is just not doing it for me. Gonna get aquality made local one I think. So the question is speaker?

I have tried c10r, copperhead, legend. They were all OK.

I have listened to every youtube video. The gold I do not like. The 12 Celestion Alnico Blue sounds $brilliant$, the Celestion 10 Greenback sounds fantastic, Jensen 12 Tornado really good..... but that is youtube so who know?

I guess generally I want my Princeton to sound like my old Deluxe best amp I have ever had but I do not want to have to lug one around. I will be playing my 175 through it with a P90 in a humbucker. I like my sound reasonably bright but warm and smoky, mellow with a simmering growl underneath.

I have not seen the Greenback mentioned much on the jazz forum as an option. Anyone had experience?

User Info Menu

After some time, and a Quilter amp too, I just went with a 1966 BF Princeton Nonreverb. Dropped a Ted Weber speaker in as the original was toast. Haven't looked back since.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    I had to sell my Princeton RI, too many issues.

Oh I miss it. The Quilter is just not doing it for me. Gonna get aquality made local one I think. So the question is speaker?

I have tried c10r, copperhead, legend. They were all OK.

I have listened to every youtube video. The gold I do not like. The 12 Celestion Alnico Blue sounds $brilliant$, the Celestion 10 Greenback sounds fantastic, Jensen 12 Tornado really good..... but that is youtube so who know?

I guess generally I want my Princeton to sound like my old Deluxe best amp I have ever had but I do not want to have to lug one around. I will be playing my 175 through it with a P90 in a humbucker. I like my sound reasonably bright but warm and smoky, mellow with a simmering growl underneath.

I have not seen the Greenback mentioned much on the jazz forum as an option. Anyone had experience?

User Info Menu

Took me a while to wrap my head and prejudices against non reverb model. Really silly in the end. With lost of a gain stage, more head room, and all the affordable reverb pedals. Plus very more affordable than the same model with reverb. Just a great clean platform to do what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 wildkat. Great amp.

User Info Menu

Actually I have to thank Mr. Beaumont as he was/is a strong advocate of the non-reverb Princeton amp. Especially in the Silverface models. Lots of bang for buck. I just went with BF in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Took me a while to wrap my head and prejudices against non reverb model. Really silly in the end. With lost of a gain stage, more head room, and all the affordable reverb pedals. Plus very more affordable than the same model with reverb. Just a great clean platform to do what ever you want.

User Info Menu

Wildcat,

I played regularly for about 25 years with a guy who would bring three or four small Fender amps to the gig. Usually, he'd bring a tweed Fender Vibrolux, a tweed Fender Harvard, and a blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb. More recently, he started bringing a silverface Fender Princeton Reverb, the DR, and a non-reverb bf Fender Deluxe amp.

I got to listen to and try each of these amps on a regular basis as we worked the gig. I developed some strong opinions. (1) the two tweed amps are exceptional. (2) I prefer the non-reverb Deluxe to the reverb model--for the reasons that you outline above.

I'd be much more likely to pick up a non-reverb Deluxe, at this point, and just use one of my reverb units with it. The headroom is really useful.

User Info Menu

GT I didn't know there was a nonreverb Deluxe amp. Then I found out that they were made only 3 years. 1964,65,66. So I searched one down, 1965, and bought it. Haven't looked back since.
    I have owned so many amps. But in the end I went back to the foundation of what our generation knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Wildcat,

I played regularly for about 25 years with a guy who would bring three or four small Fender amps to the gig. Usually, he'd bring a tweed Fender Vibrolux, a tweed Fender Harvard, and a blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb. More recently, he started bringing a silverface Fender Princeton Reverb, the DR, and a non-reverb bf Fender Deluxe amp.

I got to listen to and try each of these amps on a regular basis as we worked the gig. I developed some strong opinions. (1) the two tweed amps are exceptional. (2) I prefer the non-reverb Deluxe to the reverb model--for the reasons that you outline above.

I'd be much more likely to pick up a non-reverb Deluxe, at this point, and just use one of my reverb units with it. The headroom is really useful.

User Info Menu

Just been to heaven. Whilst there tried some boutique Princeton clones and Tweed Drluxe.

Ordered Princeton with P12Q.

I am totally blown away. 6 week wait is gonna be hell.

Sounds like a song Heaven and Hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well, I´m a bit late here but I have an additional question concerning a new speaker for my Fender 68 Princeton Reverb.
    There´s a Celestion 10 Thirty in but I don´t like its character.

I want a 10" speaker for clean tone but with not too crisp hights and I´m thinking of maybe some P10 or a Weber 10F150 with "T" or without. The highpriced Celestion Gold might also do what I intend but don´t know.

I often play over a 2X12" cabinet with Greebacks (I built) that isn´t too bad but a bit bassy and besides it is quite a big block in my small room.

Thanks + I´d appreciate every advice..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by viento
    Well, I´m a bit late here but I have an additional question concerning a new speaker for my Fender 68 Princeton Reverb.
    There´s a Celestion 10 Thirty in but I don´t like its character.

I want a 10" speaker for clean tone but with not too crisp hights and I´m thinking of maybe some P10 or a Weber 10F150 with "T" or without. The highpriced Celestion Gold might also do what I intend but don´t know.

I often play over a 2X12" cabinet with Greebacks (I built) that isn´t too bad but a bit bassy and besides it is quite a big block in my small room.

Thanks + I´d appreciate every advice..
    I once tested about ten different speaker in my SFPR and the clear winner was WGC G12C/S. Available as G10G/S too. Very reasonable priced, specially if You find a second hand one.

Very balanced fenderish sound without harsh high end. And not so stiff as Cannabis Rex.

During my quest I started to believe in an old rule of thumb about Fender amps and speakers: Tweeds love alnicos, Blackfaces love ceramics.

Good luck for the hunt!

User Info Menu

I think the default PRRI set up is as a recording amp? So it breaks up earlier..... obv the 68 but even the 65?

I’m constantly amazed by the clean headroom I can push out 12 Watts with the right speaker

But then, a lot of players would hate that too....

User Info Menu

Through the conversion or modding of my 68Princeton Reverb,
    the amplifier has gotten the airy and fine heights,
    as they are known from the originals.

Tech.information:
    Tube 3x 12AX7, 1x 12AT7 and 2x 6V6

1x 10 "Celestion TEN 30 speaker

12 watts

2 inputs

Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb, Speed, Intensity

Effects Reverb and Vibrato

incl. 2x foot switch and cover
    10 "Celestion TEN 30 - a tad better - but far from
    what I want.

I´ve gotta try out some of the above mentioned speakers and see which
    will correspond to my "dreams"

Have a Happy New Year!

User Info Menu

Help! My Princeton drives me nuts. It and its Celestion Gold G10 sounds great on "7" with a solid body but with my archtop it feeds back on "4" - arrrghhhh

Thinking about selling it. Someone talk me out of it...

Jazz is just at home (no gigs) so Ampeg GVT5-110 takes the cake.

In my little rock band, been playing a Schecter Hellcat Bass VI through Mooer yellow comp into Vox AC10 and darn it sounds good! Fender Rumble 40W fine too for P-bass.