The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 96

User Info Menu

One speaker I don’t see mentioned is Jupiter. They are my absolute favorite for Fenders. They are made by WGS to Jupiter specs, but have something the WGS don’t, to my ears. Tight, almost piano-like bass, sparkling highs.

Also remember wattage rating is output before a certain amount of distortion. Your amp can and does peak much higher.

Steven

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is it a harmonic thing that is only certain notes? If so try different string brand or gauge.

if is a general problem that is weird I have played mine on 8 with a 175 and with an overdrive pedal but they are plywood I guess so maybe more resistant to feedback.

turn bass down a bit on the amp of course another factor. I find as you turn fender volume up bass increases so I turn the bass down.

another one is lift the pickup height can make a big volume difference.

gotta be a solution in there

User Info Menu

Thanks, the EQ is a good idea, I'll try pushing the bass down. I used to have the B/T on 1 b/c I thought it gave it more mids (?) but lately I've had both EQ on 5 to give it a "flat Princeton" sound.

I've thought about Empress ParaEQ but I don't want to spend that kind of money for -- snooze -- EQ!

User Info Menu

If you pay $1000 for an amp and have to change the speaker and/or tubes to get the tone you're after, you bought the wrong amp.

User Info Menu

I have bought $200-$300 amps, changed the speaker and been very happy and convinced I spent my money wisely.

User Info Menu

I have no problem swapping out speakers on used or vintage amps. Even with that pragmatic approach, I'm guilty of going down the speaker rabbit hole, trying to find the perfect match for each amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    If you pay $1000 for an amp and have to change the speaker and/or tubes to get the tone you're after, you bought the wrong amp.
    Well yes, hindsight is 20/20. It has a good sound but will be the last amp I buy north of 5W without a master volume...

User Info Menu

Eminence Alessandro anyone? Recording links?
    Cheers

User Info Menu

I just bought an used Fender 65 Princeton Reverb and want to replace the Speaker. From my beloved Fender Super Champ XD I know that the Eminence Cannabis Rex is a fine choice for a 10" speaker in that size of combo. Im tempted to just use the same in the Princeton, but want to get your opinion first.

I play big L5 style ARIA Pro II version und do a lot of playing with a singer. So walking bass and a lot of chord work is what i do most. I prefer a deep and big as possible sound out of the small amp.

What is your recommendation? Just do the Cannabis Rex or should i give another one a try.

Thanks for all your answers in advance.

Stay healthy

Greetings from Bavaria.

User Info Menu

I actually have a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue with the 12" CR speaker and I really like it. I play an L5ces and an Aria Pro II PE180 through it and it sounds (to me) wonderful. There might be a few better speakers for that amp, but there are a lot more that are worse.

User Info Menu

I have the same guitar and amp plus two 175 very distinct (1989 and 2007). I replaced the OEM Jensen by a Eminence Lil’ Buddy. The C Rex 10” didn’t exist at the time but both of them are the same, with the hemp cones.

I got the beautiful warmer sound I wanted. Very satisfied.

User Info Menu

Did you exchange the buffle for the 12‘’

User Info Menu

many players like the hemp cones with ferrite magnet speakers..they have big bass/lower midrange sound...that makes the 10" size speaker and cab sound bigger & a bit warmer

but for true deep solid bass (not boomy) and chimey clear highs, no 10" beats the celestion alnico gold...pricey, but one of the best speakers ever made..a classic

cheers

User Info Menu

I think the main question with Princeton's and humbucker archtops is how to cut down bass not how to add more bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWS
    Did you exchange the buffle for the 12‘’
    No. I tried the 12” on an external cabinet and didn’t enjoy it that much. Some people even say that an archtop sounds better on 10”, I don’t know, it’s not a law anyway, but a kept the 10”.

Sometimes in my home studio I use the IR of the Alnico Gold and is pretty good, but pricey, yes. Those Eminence are very affordable.
    However, when using Impulse Responses, the EVML is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think the main question with Princeton's and humbucker archtops is how to cut down bass not how to add more bass.
    that's why i always recommend the celestion gold...solid not boomy!!! hi-fi tone with pretty flat mids and beautiful top end...full range tone...and super efficient. so it makes the most of the princetons relatively low power output

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    In my personal case, the twang plink of the high notes left me crazy. The Jensen suited better my Tele than the archtops.

User Info Menu

sticking a 12" speaker in a 10" designed cab, does not automatically insure better bigger tone...the search for the right 12" speaker will still exist..as the small cabinet size can choke all the seeming benefits of a larger speaker... the 12" speaker still has to be chosen carefully...if not moreso!!

alnico gold 10" delivers all the tone without the work of a new baffle..and search for the right 12"

cheers

User Info Menu

Thank for all your thoughts.

anyone experience with this one?

Weber 10F150T Light Doping Black Dog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cordalis
    In my personal case, the twang plink of the high notes left me crazy. The Jensen suited better my Tele than the archtops.
    But speaker with more bass may not address the thin, bright high notes. Some speakers have both (lots of bass and aggressive highs). I hear hem speakers do a good job at rolling off the highs.
    Heavier gauge strings and some EQ might address that as well. May be you do this already but I use 13's or 14' on my ES 175 to avoid plinkyness.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-20-2020 at 09:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree, Tal, heavy gauges help to attenuate the plink, but I’m not fan of EQ to solve a good guitar and amp sound. With 90€ I got a big smile anytime I play.

User Info Menu

No. I tried the 12” on an external cabinet and didn’t enjoy it that much. Some people even say that an archtop sounds better on 10”, I don’t know, it’s not a law anyway, but a kept the 10”.

Sometimes in my home studio I use the IR of the Alnico Gold and is pretty good, but pricey, yes. Those Eminence are very affordable.
    However, when using Impulse Responses, the EVML is my favorite.
    My '68 Princeton Reverb has a 10" Emi. Legend that sounds great.
    However, my '69 Princeton (non-reverb) has an EV10L that sounds amazing!!!

User Info Menu

IME the Cannabis Rex does not increase bass, it decreases and tightens it, and enhances the treble. I've had the same result in an open-back 2x10 and a closed-back 10.

User Info Menu

I agree, Tal, heavy gauges help to attenuate the plink, but I’m not fan of EQ to solve a good guitar and amp sound. With 90€ I got a big smile anytime I play.
    I don't know which I hate more, twang or plink. But, since they often come together, I don't need to decide.

Most guitars I play have both in the upper registers of the high E string.

I've tried the following unsuccessfully:

1. Every possible configuration of pickup and polepiece adjustment

2. Different eq. Can eliminate the twang and plink but at the risk of deadening the sound.

3. Different guitars. Best one was a 2009 or so D'Angelico Korean EXDC, which sounded perfect when new and gradually worsened.

4. So, I tried meticulous fretwork by a master craftsman, to no avail. And, then by another, just in case.

5. Usual prescription is heavier strings (not much help) or a lighter touch (next thing you know, they'll want me to be a better player).

6. Raising the action. Not much benefit and I couldn't stand the feel.

What did help:

1. Careful attention to small adjustments of the tone (standard treble roll-off). The Comins GCS-1 has a pot that is not at all linear in its effect. Most of the audible change is in a very small arc of the total possible rotation of the knob. If I get it just right ....

2. Lowering my standards.

3. DV Mark Little Jazz. It seems not to reproduce plink and twang very efficiently. That's a feature, not a bug, in my case. You may feel differently. It just might be a speaker issue, but I have no way of knowing.

4. Using a processed solo tone to thicken the sound. I do it with harmonizer, but it could be done in different ways.

To sum up the help column: I got to the point where I could play for a night and not think about it.

User Info Menu

In 1965, a Princeton amp more than likely came with an Oxford 10J4 speaker with the blue Fender Special Design sticker on it. Compared to modern speakers, it is inefficient so will not have the same high volume. But volume is not tone. These are the speakers that gave us that ‘60s California tone we all love. Not shrill and not boomy. And used speakers can typically be found for less $ than a new boutique speaker.

Many people like putting a 12” speaker in the 10” cabinet, but I believe they are more concerned with volume (or possibly sound dispersion from a stage). The trade off is, if the amp was not designed for a 12” speaker, it has to work hard to get that cone moving. Softer finger-style passages may get lost.

i have this speaker in my own ‘65 PR reissue and love it.