The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of replacing my Thomastik 13 flatwounds that are two months old. Would I be able to use them again?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've never saved strings, but for years I used to save the ball ends from both guitar and bass strings. I eventually had a box full and gave them to someone who strung them to make a necklace (for her, not for me).

User Info Menu

I don't reuse strings.

I do have a friend that is a model maker that is happy to take my old strings.
    I have no idea how he uses them but I save them for him.

User Info Menu

I keep a few used strings on hand; not for reusing on guitars, but they're often useful for other things.

User Info Menu

I usually save the set I take off when putting on a new set in case I break one and need to replace the one string in a pinch without replacing the whole set (like on a gig). I leave enough wraps on the end so that it can still be installed if needed.

User Info Menu

I keep my strings because I use them when I build my model cars and aircraft. I do a bit of scratchbuilding and they make great scale model pipes tubes oxygen hoses (the round wounds) and wires. Does anyone ever save their strings?-dscn1128-jpgDoes anyone ever save their strings?-dscn1133-jpg

User Info Menu

I used to. Having a spare already-stretched string when you need one is good. Not a substitute for a new set, though.
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-20-2020 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I save the top ends for carb. rebuilding then recycle the rest at GC.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

I have used them to repair guitar cracks. They pull the cleat in place with ball end.

They also are good for snaking down bicycles tubes to replace cables. They saved my tail a few times in that regard. But otherwise no they get thrown out.

User Info Menu

I've used round wound to hang pictures, and plain to clean out clogged garden sprayer nozzles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I keep my strings because I use them when I build my model cars and aircraft. I do a bit of scratchbuilding and they make great scale model pipes tubes oxygen hoses (the round wounds) and wires. Does anyone ever save their strings?-dscn1128-jpgDoes anyone ever save their strings?-dscn1133-jpg
    I guess it makes it easier to tune the engine.

User Info Menu

if you used the strings for 2 months, if you look closely, you'll see little divots/kinks on the bottom of the strings where they touch the frets...if you take those strings and slap em on another guitar, those divots will not be in the same place and you will be adding fresh divots as well...so not really the greatest idea

thomastik flats are particularly tricky cause they use round inner cores..and the winds can separate fairly easily..at the tuning peg as well... unless only the silk has been wrapped around the tuning post

cheers

User Info Menu

I had about ten years' worth of old strings saved up, several pounds of them, but could never find anything that could be done with them. Th local metal recyclers didn't want them and there were no recycling programs for that kind of thing around here. I didn't know that GC had a recycling program, that's great. I ended up just finally throwing my old strings away because they were just a nuisance. That was a fair amount of nickel, steel and bronze that just went to a landfill...

User Info Menu

if you wash your hands before playing and clean the strings afterwards with Fastfret, they will last longer, at least, in my case they do.

User Info Menu

ps- not what op really asked, but since we traveled down that road...other uses...most cheese cutters use a plain g gauge size (24-20) wire...tho i'd probably use a fresh string for that too!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I've heard of a bassist who removed and boiled his strings in a kettle even during the band's statutory 15 min. breaks. If I had become a metallurgist, as originally intended, I would know if this makes any sense. Knowing if a used string recrystallizes during a tension-free rest would be even more relevant. I have a large box where old strings mingle and, I could swear, reproduce, but every now and then I end up throwing them away. There's a metal collecting bin nearby, so no bad conscience.

User Info Menu

Does anyone ever save their strings?-20200320_141916-jpg

User Info Menu

I use them for dental floss. Oh wait, I don't do that.

User Info Menu

I used to save them for recycling and had collected a bushel basket 3/4s full. Since we moved out of town I just discard most of them; but since I'm no longer gigging it's only a couple-six sets a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Does anyone ever save their strings?-20200320_141916-jpg
    the art collage known as-lockjaw!!

haha

watch them pointy ends

cheers

User Info Menu

I save them and use them as garrotes. Saves me a bundle of dough.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I save them and use them as garrotes. Saves me a bundle of dough.

John
    Don’t get me started.

User Info Menu

I used to, but eventually threw them away.

Playing 98% alone, at home ...
    I do not change strings very often, mostly when one breaks too short, beyond repair, so a set lasts for years. Thus, there was never a big bunch, of them. 2-3 sets, max.
    The idea was to have a spare, just in case.
    My string break from playing once in couple of years, maybe. Additionally, they break on stringing, after I have unstrung guitar for whatever the reason. Almost always it is same one that broke with previous set, E-1, or B-2. So I put old B in place of snapoed E, and so on.

BTW, I digress, I remember there was a time when I was young, rockin' and riffin', D used to go away on regular basis.

Bsck to topic,... at one point, all I was left with in stock were wound strings, with all Gs for top 3 on guitar. Then, a friend gifted me with 2 sets of Tomastik Be-Bop 12s. I have first set on Tele for about 3.5 years now. It took them about 2 years to degrade noticeably, as per my standards. Again, my 2 years in effective hours is probably couple of months, or weeks, for a pro, ir dedicated student.
    I speak about plane top 3. Wound strings appear as pretty much indestructable. At his moment, E-1 is totally untunable. Tune it open, at 5th frett it's already unbearable. B works up to 8th, or so. G is good to 10th-11th.
    Also, I tried to clean X-155, and E-1 snapped on stringing. It is flatwound set that was on guitar when I bought it back in 2010,.or 2011. I do not know how long they were in use with previous owner.

My decission for future: I will not change sets and will not keep old sets as spares.
    I will shop only for individual new strings and keep the rest in use, on guitar.

I plan to try 2nd set of BeBops (if wife can trace where she ditched my junk on recent cleaning)on Charvel Desolation w. Floyd Rose.
    Probably not good idea, but it will not happen any time soon, anyway.

User Info Menu

I don’t save old strings, but I do cut the little loop ends and save the brass beads. I’ve used D’Addarios for years, and they color code the beads so I have this nice assortment of little colored metal beads (with a lot of plain nickel and brass ones in there too).

Please don’t ask why I save these. I don’t know what I am going to do with them. I just like them....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    I usually save the set I take off when putting on a new set in case I break one and need to replace the one string in a pinch without replacing the whole set (like on a gig). I leave enough wraps on the end so that it can still be installed if needed.
    This. The worst that can happen is that you end up needing to slap on a fresh string.

Regarding Thomastiks, what neatomic said.