Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

sorry for the click bait.

maybe this is not the time to mail order gear. please do not put unnecessary strain on the post/package/delivery services. these guys are pretty essential right now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think the number of guitars being purchased for playing jazz is going to put much of a strain on any of the package delivery services. If it ever gets out of the lower tens per day across the world, then perhaps cutting back should be considered.

User Info Menu

Ok. I just ordered 12 Gibson L5s. Was thinking about going for a 13th, but I'll play along.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't think the number of guitars being purchased for playing jazz is going to put much of a strain on any of the package delivery services. If it ever gets out of the lower tens per day across the world, then perhaps cutting back should be considered.

thomann.de alone sends 500.000 parcels *each* month. this is not the time to order gear. you'll soon enough find out why.

User Info Menu

I’m panic buying Telecasters

User Info Menu

Here’s a thing - apparently the virus can survive on cardboard for 24 hours

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Not 335s?

User Info Menu

Amazon alone ships 1.6 million packages a day. I don’t think 1 or 2 more a day to a few jazz guitarists on a message board will truly be felt....Not to mention the small businesses that need to keep their store afloat in this environment by only selling guitars online

Life has to continue on in some small ways. If we’re stuck inside for a month or more there’s no better time for a new guitar
    Last edited by Paulie2; 03-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    If we’re stuck inside for a month or more there’s no better time for a new guitar
    Convince my wife of that!

User Info Menu

Get real kids

if you find a guitar or amp you love
    buy it now

Love on it
    your internal sense of joy and inner peace are a great part of your overall health

if a guitar enhances that terrific

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan
    Hollow guitars are too difficult to disinfect. Anyway, telecasters are the only guitars that can survive the coming zombie apocalypse.
    They function as excellent clubs.

User Info Menu

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan
    Hollow guitars are too difficult to disinfect. Anyway, telecasters are the only guitars that can survive the coming zombie apocalypse.
    Teles also make very effective clubs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bengruven
    Teles also make very effective clubs.
    as demonstrated on stage by Keith Richards.

User Info Menu

I would hold off buying any gear right now for the simple reason that I think the panic over this pandemic is going to cause a financial meltdown and some terrific deals will be available (assuming that you have some disposable income/savings and that whatever currency you own still has value).

And if history is a guide, things always bounce back after a financial meltdown (we humans are quite resilient), so the opportunity will be short.

The world is not ending. civil debate regarding the direction that governments should take to help their populations is a good thing. Angry, know-it-intolerance is the sort of thing that can produce a Mad-Max style dystopia.

IMO, anyone who believes that the world is ending needs to reread the Chicken Little story. Relax. In an emergency, calmer heads always prevail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The world is not ending. civil debate regarding the direction that governments should take to help their populations is a good thing. Angry, know-it-intolerance is the sort of thing that can produce a Mad-Max style dystopia.
    stop it please-66ee33fb-2542-404a-82d1-cdebbec48f1f-jpg

(You know I’m not sure this guy knows any drop 2 voicings.)

User Info Menu

Stringswinger is just sore that everyone said he was a berk on the other thread and now he’s on about ‘civil discourse.’

Anyway, I’m off to put some spikes on my family hatchback, shape my hair into a mighty green Mohawk and chase down some antivaxxers.

I would hold off buying any gear right now for the simple reason that I think the panic over this pandemic is going to cause a financial meltdown and some terrific deals will be available (assuming that you have some disposable income/savings and that whatever currency you own still has value).
    hundreds of JBF members will die. there will be investment opportunities for sure.

User Info Menu

stop it please-66ee33fb-2542-404a-82d1-cdebbec48f1f-jpg

(You know I’m not sure this guy knows any drop 2 voicings.)
    Yes I do.

User Info Menu

I am more afraid of the consequences of mass overreaction to this pandemic than I am the disease itself. Financial meltdowns can result in totalitarian takeovers. My reading of history informs me that more people have died under evil totalitarian regimes than by disease (with perhaps the Bubonic plague excepted, though given a choice between the Nazi's and the bubonic plague, I would be searching frantically for a door number three).

User Info Menu

I am more afraid of the consequences of mass overreaction to this pandemic than I am the disease itself. Financial meltdowns can result in totalitarian takeovers. My reading of history informs me that more people have died under evil totalitarian regimes than by disease (with perhaps the Bubonic plague excepted, though given a choice between the Nazi's and the bubonic plague, I would be searching frantically for a door number three).
    I think your fears are not without foundation. However - it possible for the economic fallout and political authoritarianism to be a worry and at the same time to be intelligently concerned about the virus itself.

This is a bug which can go unnoticed on one extreme, and yet leave 10% of its victims not just hospitalised but in need of a ventilator for 6-12 weeks. We've seen this coming - we had the reports from medical personnel in Italy and China. And yet the pubs remained open here until tonight and people continue to crowd and go about their business. Not much overreaction I can see. Quite the opposite.

So, now the ICU in my local hospital is full. And we haven't really started yet.

User Info Menu

Well let's look at it as a good time to practice our instruments and be better humans as well. Cheers to mall of my fellow TGP members!

User Info Menu

Stayin' Home, and Stayin' Alive.
    I've lost all my gigs anyway...

User Info Menu

We're all going to do what we do but I actually agree with the OP. 10 guitars may not make a difference but if everyone thinks that way it adds up pretty quickly. These are exceptional times and a willingness to suffer a bit of sacrifice is probably a good thing.

User Info Menu

I ordered a replacement phone recently and it was arrived in 2 days. I was pretty surprised how fast it took.

I don’t have any problem prioritizing essential services—toilet paper? Face masks? COVID diagnostic kits? I can wait for my phone.

But there’s no reason not to keep buying things if you need them or even want them a bit.

I don’t think completely shutting down commerce especially internet sales is a good idea. Guitar and gear sellers, Amazon employees, and shipping company employees gotta eat too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Stayin' Home, and Stayin' Alive.
    I've lost all my gigs anyway...
    Ed.

I have lost my gigs (and I expect to take a big hit on gig income going forward after all of this) and I also expect my rental income to take a big hit going forward for quite some time.

There is nothing so much as lost income to cure GAS, I suppose.

I am sure glad that all the guitars on my bucket list have been crossed off.

Stay well old friend!

User Info Menu

maybe this recent ny times headline will cast some light- and help you decide if it's worth it

‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick

Truckers and warehouse workers at UPS and FedEx feel they have no choice but to keep showing up, even with coronavirus-like symptoms.

cheers

ps- what seemed like a wild fantasy just a short time ago...all drone delivery - may be coming faster than we know!!

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, but I think that commerce is prioritizing shipping logistics based on the current conditions. From what I saw on Amazon the perks of Prime shipping are completely absent now. Personally I would refrain from major purchases just due the fact that the economy is in the toilet and it may take an inordinate amount of time to receive it, but anything within reason is probably OK. In reality, those stimulus checks are supposed to be distributed soon. The whole idea behind them is for people to spend the money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    maybe this recent ny times headline will cast some light- and help you decide if it's worth it

‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick

Truckers and warehouse workers at UPS and FedEx feel they have no choice but to keep showing up, even with coronavirus-like symptoms.
    Yeah, that ain't good. We the need the problem addressed and (politics aside) gutting the CDC was a very foolish move.

User Info Menu

England is the one Country (Okay let's add Scotland to that list) where even though English is the official language, I felt, at times that I needed a translator.
    As I think Oscar Wilde pointed out, America and England are two nations separated by a common language. Although I frankly have found the Australians I've met harder to understand than the British.

I am more afraid of the consequences of mass overreaction to this pandemic than I am the disease itself. Financial meltdowns can result in totalitarian takeovers.
    Totalitarian takeovers have been the rage around the world for a couple of decades now. Democracy and freedom have not been in worse shape since the end of WWII than they are now.

As to the decision about whether or not to buy, the temptation is certainly there since I'm sitting around with far more time on my hands and some new stuff would at least entertain me. But it is a small house that I live in with my wife and there's just no room for new guitars, etc. And if I do buy one it certainly should not be a Telecaster since I'll probably get hit over the head with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    ...And if I do buy one it certainly should not be a Telecaster since I'll probably get hit over the head with it.
    I don't know how hard your head is, but if you go hollow body do you have a fighting chance?

P.S. I hope to get over my boredom at some point soon. I will spare you all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I don't know how hard your head is, but if you go hollow body do you have a fighting chance?

P.S. I hope to get over my boredom at some point soon. I will spare you all.
    Fender "headworn" Telecaster

User Info Menu

I just went to the store in Ilinois we now have a stay-in-place order for entire state. I was looking for a dozen eggs and granted they are not guitars but at least I can eat an egg. Well they did not have any eggs. I still have about 4 so ok for a bit, I like eggs. One item they seem to have in stock was good beer! They had Centennial IPA 15 pack for $16.49 i jump all over that puppy. Again you can drink beer but not guitars.

User Info Menu

Deacon Mark "One item they seem to have in stock was good beer!"

Ditto, Paper towels and toilet paper (thank the lord, I have bidets in my house) were non existent but beer was plentiful. So I stocked up. Given that I'm some what of a misanthrope as it is, social distancing isn't much different that normal. I have not hugged my 94 year old Mom in a couple of weeks out of extreme caution. Drop the groceries and wave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    As to the decision about whether or not to buy, the temptation is certainly there since I'm sitting around with far more time on my hands and some new stuff would at least entertain me. But it is a small house that I live in with my wife and there's just no room for new guitars, etc. And if I do buy one it certainly should not be a Telecaster since I'll probably get hit over the head with it.
    Time to break out the headphone amps and practice quietly. "Social distancing" can be a domestic policy, as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Deacon Mark "One item they seem to have in stock was good beer!"

Ditto, Paper towels and toilet paper (thank the lord, I have bidets in my house) were non existent but beer was plentiful. So I stocked up. Given that I'm some what of a misanthrope as it is, social distancing isn't much different that normal. I have not hugged my 94 year old Mom in a couple of weeks out of extreme caution. Drop the groceries and wave.
    I got out and road my bike 54 miles in the middle of nowhere early. It was cold but had a tailwind the last 20 or close. Passed only one other rider we stayed 6 feet away I am pretty sure. There were almost no cars to speak of and I did not see any guitars along the way( that would be a first). So my motto is stay out and away, ride, play the guitar, drink good beer, eat some decent food BigMikenj has that down pat. Finally don't forget to pray.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    sorry for the click bait.

maybe this is not the time to mail order gear. please do not put unnecessary strain on the post/package/delivery services. these guys are pretty essential right now.

now i feel so small and cheap...i hope you can forgive me....just yesterday the ten soprano sax reeds i bought online arrived....

one would've been bad enough...but NO!!--the thoughtless self-involved greedy bitch in me had to buy TEN....

to make amends i shall donate them to charity or perhaps a local food pantry

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints
    now i feel so small and cheap...i hope you can forgive me....just yesterday the ten soprano sax reeds i bought online arrived....

one would've been bad enough...but NO!!--the thoughtless self-involved greedy bitch in me had to buy TEN....

to make amends i shall donate them to charity or perhaps a local food pantry
    well put, mrs. einstein.

in other news amazon italy and france only deliver the most necessary goods needed to survive any longer.
    Last edited by djg; 03-23-2020 at 03:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    as demonstrated on stage by Keith Richards.
    Right here:

The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Hampton Live 1981 OFFICIAL - YouTube

User Info Menu

I need more as well, I only have 6!