The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Just picked up my newly acquired ES-125 from the luthier this afternoon - got it re-fretted, new nut, pickup shimmed up, sound post installed, and the tailpiece grounded, as well as set up with Thomastik flatwounds
    The only thing left is to find a pickguard and some knobs

who makes a decent looking repro guard? There is a guy on eBay who has decent prices but no real pictures of the material he uses

ES-125 Transparent Tortoise W/1-P90 Pickguard made for Gibson Guitar Project NEW | eBay

i am thinking of using these knobs - they look pretty nice but aren’t the “tall barrels” that I believe this guitar would have come with:
    "Art of Aging" "CAB" Gold Speedknobs (4)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those knobs should be ok, they'd be 'period correct' on a 50s guitar.
    I'd look for a black guard like the originals.

User Info Menu

My '59 125 had no longer its pick guard when I bought it.
    My quest for a replacement ended up the Ebay seller the OP is mentioning.
    From the ad: "... We also had a customer inform us that this will not fit a 1959 ES-125"
    I am the customer he is referring to, as the p90 cut out and the holes for some reasons were not fitting my 1959.
    However, at their request I sent back the pickguard and ended up getting a non cut one and I did my own cut out and holes.
    The material is very high quality transparent plastic very similar to celluloid minus the potential gassing...
    Its a little bit more on the yellowish brown than the original reddish tortoise.
    Looking for repro pickguard and knobs for a Gibson ES-125-20180417_195601-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Those knobs should be ok, they'd be 'period correct' on a 50s guitar.
    I'd look for a black guard like the originals.
    Ive never seen a factory black guard on a 125. Pre 53 would have tall barrel knobs. ?

User Info Menu

The luthier doesn't know how to make a pickguard?

User Info Menu

I think you're right about that, I guess I'm basing that on so many repros in black I've seen, and yes to the knobs

User Info Menu

I think I have a real NOS ES-125 pickguard around here somewhere, in my box of many NOS Gibson pickguards.
    I'l go look for it...

User Info Menu

I can attest that the aged speed knobs you link to look good, a set on my 1961 ES-125DC

My Brother made the replacement pickguard, more the 175 look, with a nice piece of thicker repro tortoise. looks dark in the photo due to the flash, but nicely translucent in real life.

User Info Menu

I recently put some of those gold speed knobs on my 1970s ES175. I expect they are not ‘period correct’ but I couldn’t give a **** about that, I just need them to turn easily and work.

Previously it had those black ‘witches hat’ knobs, I hated them. They wouldn’t turn very easily with my little finger (due to the narrow radius, it gives poor leverage), also they were quite fragile and easily broken.

The speed knobs are superior in every respect.

User Info Menu

I got a period correct transparent tortoise pickguard from Mike Crocker, Crocker Custom Guitars, Aptos, California. He also has hardware. I bought a '53 style for my 1946 125. Good transaction. You can Google him.

User Info Menu

Another vote for a black guard even if it’s not original. I have a 64 and use the original guard as a template to make a 5 ply that looks soooo much better. But bring it back to original is cool too if that’s your jam…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    Just picked up my newly acquired ES-125 from the luthier this afternoon - got it re-fretted, new nut, pickup shimmed up, sound post installed, and the tailpiece grounded, as well as set up with Thomastik flatwounds
    The only thing left is to find a pickguard and some knobs

who makes a decent looking repro guard? There is a guy on eBay who has decent prices but no real pictures of the material he uses

ES-125 Transparent Tortoise W/1-P90 Pickguard made for Gibson Guitar Project NEW | eBay

i am thinking of using these knobs - they look pretty nice but aren’t the “tall barrels” that I believe this guitar would have come with:
    "Art of Aging" "CAB" Gold Speedknobs (4)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    May I ask why your 125 needed a sound post? Did the sound change at all. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    May I ask why your 125 needed a sound post? Did the sound change at all. Thanks.
    the top had flattened out over the years, the previous owner had done a neck reset so action, etc was all in relation to the flatter top, so I had the post installed to prevent any further movement over the years

i didn’t notice any difference in sound, maybe the slightest bit less acoustic volume, but both I and the luthier were surprised at the lack of difference.

User Info Menu

Looking for repro pickguard and knobs for a Gibson ES-125-55c3bca5-7da7-40b3-ae6b-124c78cd7453-jpg I went with a 175-style 5-ply for My ‘67. It’s a bit thicker and sturdier than the period correct tortoise type.
    I also find the original type flat bracket flimsier than the 175 type.
    So mine is a Franken 125, which serves me better, fwiw.

User Info Menu

No affiliation, but I bought an ES-125 pickguard from Mike Crocker, C-Rocker.com , Aptos, California.

Very pleased.

It was for my 1947, yes, a 1947!
    One of the earliest, with original P90. Also needed tuners because the buttons rotted off. I discovered that you can buy new aged looking buttons, which I did and someday will put on the original gears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    No affiliation, but I bought an ES-125 pickguard from Mike Crocker, C-Rocker.com , Aptos, California.

Very pleased.

It was for my 1947, yes, a 1947!
    One of the earliest, with original P90. Also needed tuners because the buttons rotted off. I discovered that you can buy new aged looking buttons, which I did and someday will put on the original gears.
    I just purchased an ES-150 with rotted buttons and wasnt interested in "shiny new" buttons. Do you have a link?

User Info Menu

Cris Mirabella does great work, not cheap tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I just purchased an ES-150 with rotted buttons and wasnt interested in "shiny new" buttons. Do you have a link?
    Search Results for tuner replacement buttons | stewmac.com

I bought the 'Vintage' style.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=skykomishone;1051832]No affiliation, but I bought an ES-125 pickguard from Mike Crocker, C-Rocker.com , Aptos, California.

Very pleased. /QUOTE]

I think I got my pick guard (pictured above) from the same source.
    And I’m satisfied as well.

User Info Menu

The last time I went through this exercise it involved lots of research to determine which knob Gibson was using that particular year, and it turned out that most, including the one I needed, are not available as inexpensive repros, and real ones are stupidly expensive. Inexpensive repros that fit and look pretty close are widely available (I think the ones that were on late 50s Les Pauls IIRC). If you are able to find a reasonably priced repro of one of the rarer knobs, be sure and post back with pix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    The last time I went through this exercise it involved lots of research to determine which knob Gibson was using that particular year, and it turned out that most, including the one I needed, are not available as inexpensive repros, and real ones are stupidly expensive. Inexpensive repros that fit and look pretty close are widely available (I think the ones that were on late 50s Les Pauls IIRC). If you are able to find a reasonably priced repro of one of the rarer knobs, be sure and post back with pix.
    Aren't there basically only 2 versions of the knobs they used for Volume and Tone........the perfectly round ones and the "witch hat" ones?

User Info Menu

Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars

scroll down about halfway down the page

I wanted the tall numbered gold knob (1950 to 1952) for my 1951 ES-150, but settled for repros of the "speed" knobs used from 1953 to 1955. which were widely available.

If someone is making repros of the 1947-50 or the 1950-52 knobs, I would be interested. Real ones, too, if someone has them at a bargain price, or wants to make a trade for something in my parts drawer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfling
    the top had flattened out over the years, the previous owner had done a neck reset so action, etc was all in relation to the flatter top, so I had the post installed to prevent any further movement over the years

i didn’t notice any difference in sound, maybe the slightest bit less acoustic volume, but both I and the luthier were surprised at the lack of difference.
    Thanks for your reply.
    All I have is a Chinese 125 look-a-like which has a factory fitted sound post and no bracing. The guitar is quiet acoustically. I've never heard a 125 in the flesh but would love to do a comparison.