The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

Here's something you never hear about. I cannot speak about the post-Japanese models because I haven't evaluated them. However, on the Japanese GB-10 and JP-20 models, I really _like_ the pickups. Same thing with the semi-acoustic models. I know that some people yank these pickups off and put on after-market units, but I have always found the Ibanez factory offerings to be first-rate sounding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez certainly has a penchant for novel and unusual view of designs. From burl / spalted woods to odd shapes like the AWD they cover some weird ground.

Is this neck / head design a further attempt to minimize head breaks beyond the volute, value engineering / cost cutting, or both? This sample found on the web is the first I've seen that is finished in a light enough color to see what's hiding below the generally much darker finished necks of the AS-93ZW. I have yet to see a pic of the AS-93ZW light enough to see if the neck heel has a second piece.

Why are Ibanez necks so much better ?-ibanez_as93zw_head-jpg

User Info Menu

Thinking further on this... the head above is now one piece instead of the 5 pieces of a typical 3 piece neck. Hmmm... I'm thinking cost savings on not having L-O-N-G and W-I-D-E outer sections of the neck (like on my AF-100) may be the driving force.

Why are Ibanez necks so much better ?-ibanez_af100_rear_neck_s-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Ibanez certainly has a penchant for novel and unusual view of designs. ...
    Is this neck / head design a further attempt to minimize head breaks beyond the volute, value engineering / cost cutting, or both? ...
    Not at all new. Builders like Godin and others have used a scarf joint above the nut for years.

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are just scarfing a three piece shaft to a one piece headstock. I think that it is both for cost savings and strength. They also have some natural finished models where you can see it even more clearly.

User Info Menu

My MIK (Peerless) Epiphone Riviera has a similar looking neck joint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Not at all new. Builders like Godin and others have used a scarf joint above the nut for years.
    I’d like to see it from the side to see if it is really scarfed.

User Info Menu

The head in the first photo is a multipiece lamination, I think. It looks to have a veneer on the back covering most of the head, but there is a clear indication of 3 pieces behind the volute, which suddenly disappears behind the veneer. But I can't be entirely sure from a photo.

User Info Menu

Ibanez AFC95-NTF | Casa Musicale Luisi | Reverb

Guitarshop Barcelona

There isn’t a side shot of the headstock but you can get an idea of either a scarf joint or a mortise and tenon joint if you scroll through the photos. My guess is a mortise and tenon joint.

User Info Menu

BTW, you can see that the neck heel is a separate piece from the three piece neck shaft in one those pics in the second link. That was one of the OP's questions.