The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Hey guys. Been shopping around and I stumbled across this Peerless Leela from Sam ash for $999 and its NEW? Is this correct??! These guitars go for $1800 from Guitarsnjazz! Why’s this one being sold at almost half price new?

is there a catch? I asked the customer er service folks if it was incorrect, or if there were any flaws - they said it’s correct and pristine!

Peerless Guitars Leela Hollow Body Electric Guitar | SamAsh

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm, they have the list price at $1200.

User Info Menu

The Sam Ash listing says MSRP is $1199. Maybe the GuitarsNJazz model is a an upgrade or a custom order?

User Info Menu

Well if you’ve been wanting one, I’d say get a good return policy/agreement in print, then go for it!

User Info Menu

There was a 40th anniversary limited edition that was more expensive. At the very least, the top on the one from G'nJ is much nicer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Ash
    • Carved Solid Flame Maple Top on Laminated Flame Maple Sides

No. Guaranteed no. No such critter.

Guaranteed no? Care to explain?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    [/LIST]

No. Guaranteed no. No such critter.
    Those are the specs for the Leela 40th on the Peerless site.

User Info Menu

Well... I just ordered one of these for $899 along with a further coupon discount.

I’ll report back here when it arrives. The price really does sound too good to be true and if it is it’ll go back. If it’s all it claims to be then it’ll be the bargain of the year!

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Kentano2000; 04-21-2020 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I played one at NAMM many years ago. I thought it played great. Sort of an affordable Benedetto Bravo type model.

User Info Menu

The Sam Ash $899 Leela arrived today. I’ve never played many arch tops much less owned one so this is my first go-round. That being said, the guitar is gorgeous - really looks great with the dark red burst finish and all that ebony to offset it. The first thing to know is the top, sides and back are all flamed maple. Yes, really. I need to check to see if the top is solid or not. Any advice on how to do that? The S holes are bound so I can’t check there to see. Second, although the specs say the binding is ivoroid, it looks like natural maple to me. It’s a very nice touch and looks really elegant, especially framing the dark ebony fretboard. I also really dig the simple, minimalist look of the fretboard with no markings other than the whispy grassy 12th fret abalone inlay.

I tuned her up, plugged into my Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux, and gave her a quick spin. The neck shape felt nice - neither too big nor small, I think we’ll get along just fine. Some frets buzz, especially on the lower strings at various locations, as well as some of the ends needing a very slight filing. That’s not going to happen anytime soon with our friend COVID-19 hanging around so I’ll make the best of it until then. I started with the volume off to get a sense of the acoustic tone. Sounded pretty good to my ears. Turned the volume up and played with the tone control and... YES! Sounds fantastic! I’m getting a great sound, right in the ballpark of what I think a good jazz sound should be. Count me impressed!

The one “off” thing about the guitar is the headstock “Since 1970” inlay. It’s slightly crooked! I had planned on putting a piece of gaffers tape over it anyway because I think it’s a bit cheesy and this seals that deal.

Overall I feel I got a great deal on this axe! She’s a keeper for sure. I’ll take some pics and put them up tomorrow for everyone to enjoy the eye candy. I’m glad to answer any questions you might have as well. Thanks and stay healthy !

User Info Menu

Okay, pic time! Sorry for all the reflections, the light is crappy here today so I did the best with what I had. A few quick updates from my previous post first:

It looks like the binding is a combo of maple and plastic. Mostly maple with black strip and cream plastic on the body, just plastic in the S holes, and just maple on the neck.

The neck has settled in a bit and there is only buzzing on the low E, especially at the 13th fret and a bit a the 10th. The 11th and 14th frets look to be a bit high there. Overall the fret work is very good though, and the neck still feels very nice.

The case isn't that great. Doesn't line up well at 2 of the fasteners but overall it's serviceable.

Ok, as promised, the pics, part 1...

Peerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-1390a5c3-c501-4bda-b37b-96127854a08a-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-22056f4b-4372-4733-82fd-7e5137cf3608-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-c09335f8-e3bf-4428-a45d-b5bfd4f64dc2-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-90388bb8-801f-4608-812b-42ea6711007a-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-64283c5c-6b53-48ca-b9ed-f4cd4195223f-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-4b97597c-b04b-4311-8e97-a3826450b916-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-abfc5d37-6d43-4661-8a45-e5e1c0ceb052-jpg

User Info Menu

Pics part 2...

Peerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-3f9724f8-c690-4575-92ad-eb3b6e31fb7d-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-3b77dbdc-ffc5-4327-9a2b-f631a63e5134-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-2d04df9b-9287-4c81-898f-3fc559c4f0c3-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-b1f411e1-da6e-4a57-a309-40d73b9a49e0-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-8fc30b8c-3f0a-4b76-aba6-0ed13090d1bf-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-0d1058bf-dd05-416c-95f6-187c8307e233-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-a5758c62-cd31-45f8-b33d-b3c6fea1438d-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kentano2000
    TI need to check to see if the top is solid or not. Any advice on how to do that? The S holes are bound so I can’t check there to see.
    Press onto the little "corners" of the S-holes. If they flex fairly easily, it's probably solid. But don't push too hard or it'll break!

So, I reached out to GuitarsnJazz in New Jersey wondering why the prices were so different (they sell tons of peerless). Here’s the response:
    Attached Images Attached Images Peerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-247e0c58-2c5e-43d8-9276-3a5c911caa9a-jpeg 

After reading their reply, wondering if you’ve noticed any of this to be true with yours?

User Info Menu

I love that 12th fret inlay.

It looks like the high e string is resting off the edge of the fretboard!

User Info Menu

Pretty guitar. Here's hoping it inspires you for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentano2000
    I need to check to see if the top is solid or not. Any advice on how to do that?
    Remove the pickup and check the top closely for laminations. Use a magnifying glass or blow it up big with your phone cam.

Blow this pic up big and you will see a three-laminate sandwich. That's ply.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 04-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    It looks like the high e string is resting off the edge of the fretboard!
    just shimmy the bridge over a bit

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! MHoranzy, special thanks for that reply from GuitarsnJazz, and for noticing the string misalignment. I just finished working on that when I came here to report. Pingu, I’m not sure how to shimmy the bridge a bit, but I found I can just readjust the strings over the bridge to get the alignment back on par. All I’ll really need to do is just cut some new grooves where I have the strings now and I’ll be good to go. See the before and after pics below. Other than this misalignment, which definitely makes it a second, everything else is peachy keen.

Before:
    Peerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-3939d444-e077-4c07-aa6a-ad1f729702a4-jpg

After:
    Peerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-be4d8523-ffbb-48e4-98eb-1084b79f3ae0-jpgPeerless Leela - Is this a mistake?-31c0e115-d82a-40fa-81d4-595bc09387b0-jpg

User Info Menu

No need to do that. On the original pictures the bridge looks fine, they just put it a bit off when they stringed the guitar. The bass string is a bit too much inside on the fretboard as well, and all the strings are a bit off over the pickup polepieces.

Just loosen the strings and move the bridge a bit towards the bass string side and it will align fine.

The bridge on archtops moves freely. Use the polepieces for left right alignment, and the notes on the 12th fret for closer-further. If they are sharp, go a bit back, if flat a bit towards the pickup

User Info Menu

Ha ha, ok, I see now! This solid body guy didn't realize the bridge wasn't glued down. LOL. Just adjusted it and am entirely back on track. Thanks!

User Info Menu

NOOO, don't alter the bridge cuts! Just slide the whole thing over toward the bass side of the guitar so it's even on the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    NOOO, don't alter the bridge cuts! Just slide the whole thing over toward the bass side of the guitar so it's even on the fretboard.
    Done! See previous post.