Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

A while ago Graham and I talked about doing another virtual duet here. We have done one earlier years ago.

This time we went for a Raney vibe and I like the result. Graham is the right channel.

It's a Norlin duet actually ... Graham is playing a 1976 ES 175 and I a 1982 one.

Hope you like. I do!

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I quite like that. It’s possible I am a little biased of course.

User Info Menu

Excellent playing and excellent guitars.

Over the years I owned three Norlin 175's (1970, 1977 and 1982). All were superb. I liked them way better than the pre Norlin 175's I have owned (a 1963 and a 1967).

I also owned a 2008 model which was the worst of them all.

I currently own three (a 1997, a 2017 Figured and a 2017 59 Reissue) 175's and all three are superb, but if I could go back in time, I would not have sold my 1982 175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Excellent playing and excellent guitars. Over the years I owned three Norlin 175's (1970, 1977 and 1982). All were superb. I liked them way better than the pre Norlin 175's I have owned (a 1963 and a 1967). I also owned a 2008 model which was the worst of them all. I currently own three (a 1997, a 2017 Figured and a 2017 59 Reissue) 175's and all three are superb, but if I could go back in time, I would not have sold my 1982 175.
    I like my 82 a lot. Why exactly do Norlin guitars have such a bad rep? Is there a specific era people dislike? Maybe the late 70s when Gibson switched to maple necks on the 175? I especially like the 80s guitars, the ones with the mahogany backs and sides ...

DB

User Info Menu

Sounds lovely guys. Well done!!!

User Info Menu

The new Herb and Joe show. Bravo !

User Info Menu

Cool. You kept it together really well.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I like my 82 a lot. Why exactly do Norlin guitars have such a bad rep? Is there a specific era people dislike? Maybe the late 70s when Gibson switched to maple necks on the 175? I especially like the 80s guitars, the ones with the mahogany backs and sides ...

DB
    My 77 had the maple neck and sounded great. I did not much care for the large volute on that guitar though (I had a 75 Les Paul Custom that had the small volute which did not bother me a bit). My 82 was a rare variant. They had lost the volute, metal tuning knobs and had gone back to a mahogany neck, but had not yet switched to laminated mahogany sides and back. And the Shaw humbuckers in the 82 were every bit as good as Classic 57's.

The things that give Norlin a bad rep are things like volutes, chrome vs. nickel hardware, plain woods, different woods (maple necks on a 175, etc.), different peg head pitch, different sunbursts and quality control issues. There are great Norlin era Gibsons, but there are duds (and there are probably duds from all era Gibsons).

User Info Menu

Delightful! Who's Jimmy and who's Doug ?

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Excellent, guys!

User Info Menu

By the way, we only do this once every eight years. Takes that long to plan the next one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Delightful! Who's Jimmy and who's Doug ? Cheers.
    Thanks Fred. No doubt that's where the inspiration comes from ... We are both huge fans.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Delightful! Who's Jimmy and who's Doug ?

Cheers.
    yeah we had a fight over that.

User Info Menu

Wow now that's bop guitar! I just kept imagining Jimmy Raney, Rene Thomas, Billy Bauer, Sal Salvator, Joe Pass, all those great bop players.

This is superb!

User Info Menu

Thanks very much Lawson. I knew you would like it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow now that's bop guitar! I just kept imagining Jimmy Raney, Rene Thomas, Billy Bauer, Sal Salvator, Joe Pass, all those great bop players. This is superb!
    Thanks Lawson. You are never shy of a compliment and that really becomes you.

DB

User Info Menu

sounds great guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    By the way, we only do this once every eight years. Takes that long to plan the next one.
    Quite so. Our album will be out by the turn of the century.

DB

User Info Menu

Very nice collaboration! The playing and the guitars sound fantastic.
    Fits in with the CDC guidelines too, on Social Distancing! Doing your part(s) to flatten the 7th. I cut my teeth on a '72 175 with mahogany neck, bought new. That's 48 years ago, and, I still have it. Nothing wrong with it either. Great guitars.
    Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Thanks Lawson. You are never shy of a compliment and that really becomes you.

DB
    Well deserved. You guys are just fun to watch together. I wonder if it could be possible to do a bass-drums-guitar+??? video the same way?

User Info Menu

Are you telling me you played this together live from different countries? That is wild

User Info Menu

This is great...I've done the virtual duet thing, and it ain't easy!

User Info Menu

Ahh! The euphony! Well done, Gentlemen!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Are you telling me you played this together live from different countries? That is wild
    No, I recorded my video first, sent it to Dick, then he added his part to it.

We last did one of these 8 years ago!

User Info Menu

You guys play like I 've always hoped I could play one day. Very enjoyable and even exciting to listen to.

User Info Menu

Well deserved. You guys are just fun to watch together. I wonder if it could be possible to do a bass-drums-guitar+??? video the same way?
    Yes, this is perfectly possible with the current audio and video software. Even video software allows for multi tracking these days.

DB

User Info Menu

Superb. Encore!

User Info Menu

You guys play like I 've always hoped I could play one day. Very enjoyable and even exciting to listen to.
    Just keep doing what you do and have fun lawson. I appreciate your Donna Lee studies!

DB

User Info Menu

yes in fact you can hear the Jordu video above included a bass track (which was created in BIAB as I recall).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    yes in fact you can hear the Jordu video above included a bass track (which was created in BIAB as I recall).
    My video and my recording skills have improved! I like the sound of our latest vid much better! That reverb on my Tal in Jordu is way too much!

DB