Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

This is an interesting switch:

Heritage Sues Gibson

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a 575 and 535 and really like the way Heritage does things, so I am kinda' rooting for them, but in truth I am not sure what is fair and just in this lawsuit.

Man, ain't this a beautiful finish? Heritage H-150.

Heritage Suing Gibson-heritage-artisan-aged-h-150@1400x1050-696x522-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson is only suing because Heritage makes better quality guitars.

Who is Gibson going to sue next? Eastman? Collins? Other?

User Info Menu

the real shame is that its easier for gibson to go after long time larger manufacturers who play by the books, like heritage and dean, than it is to go after the myriad of less transparent asian makers who are flooding the market with garbage gibsony fakes...chibson!

cheers

User Info Menu

From what I understand, Gibson and Heritage came to a legal agreement in 1991, and now Gibson wants to renege, and is threatening Heritage.

User Info Menu

I'm a Gibson guy, always have been. I own, and have owned, several. But this sort of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This whole mess reminds me of why I dumped my KKR stock.

I hope sanity prevails.

User Info Menu

They’ve coexisted for decades and I’m hopeful their arrangement will continue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Gibson is only suing because Heritage makes better quality guitars.

Who is Gibson going to sue next? Eastman? Collins? Other?
    Actually it is Heritage that is suing Gibson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Technically that's true. But Gibson fired the first shot when they told Heritage they would sue them unless they ceased making the guitars in question while claiming trademark violations

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the real shame is that its easier for gibson to go after long time larger manufacturers who play by the books, like heritage and dean, than it is to go after the myriad of less transparent asian makers who are flooding the market with garbage gibsony fakes...chibson!

cheers
    Yea, eBay has *sponsored* ads like the one for a Chinese "2018 Top Quality Byrdland JAZZ Hollow Body Electric Guitar Sunburst Gold Hardware" at a NEW retail price tag of ... wait for it...US $319.90! "Sponsored" means that the seller paid eBay to feature the ad... and eBay took the money and gave the ad a bump in search results. Which is pathetic; essentially, they are willing participants in the scam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Yea, eBay has *sponsored* ads like the one for a Chinese "2018 Top Quality Byrdland JAZZ Hollow Body Electric Guitar Sunburst Gold Hardware" at a NEW retail price tag of ... wait for it...US $319.90! "Sponsored" means that the seller paid eBay to feature the ad... and eBay took the money and gave the ad a bump in search results. Which is pathetic; essentially, they are willing participants in the scam.
    But those are kinda different. Whereas they are using the Byrdland name, the design is not really a close copy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Technically that's true. But Gibson fired the first shot when they told Heritage they would sue them unless they ceased making the guitars in question while claiming trademark violations
    Yes, of course. Totally agree. I'm just OCD about individual facts. Gibson has not sued Heritage, but yes, has bullied and sought to intimidate Heritage in many ways and so they legitimately deserve being sued to cease and desist their harassment of Heritage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Perhaps I should have said that Gibson is"pressuring" Heritage instead of "sueing " them.?
    Last edited by Doug B; 03-15-2020 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Gibson should just concentrate on making consistently good guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    Gibson should just concentrate on making consistently good guitars.
    Since McCarthy left Gibson, that's the only thing they have never, ever been able to do.

If you ask me, Heritage is the REAL Gibson company. The rest was just legal brand usurpation.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 03-16-2020 at 06:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Well I must now eat my words : Come back Henry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Well I must now eat my words : Come back Henry
    Is he even alive? He must be close to hundred years old...

User Info Menu

Marketing and Greed are the drivers here for Gibson. I'm sure they could really care less about Heritage as a threat. It's more that if they can ,why can't anybody else?
    Maybe at the level of business they do they need to be concerned to keep it rolling. But I tend to agree with just make the best products and let the rest go.
    Especially the whole branding merchandise coffee cups,etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Is he even alive? He must be close to hundred years old...
    Henry Edward Michael Juszkiewicz
    Born - March 3, 1953 (age 67 years),

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Henry Edward Michael Juszkiewicz
    Born - March 3, 1953 (age 67 years),
    lol

User Info Menu

Intellectual property lawyer guitar player buddies, please don't be offended by this. But, Think of the money that both companies could invest in building wonderful archtops, instead of pissing it away on lawyers. Un-f-ing believable! It's like a circular firing squad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But those are kinda different. Whereas they are using the Byrdland name, the design is not really a close copy.
    That's what is particularly offensive to me. Heritage isn't trying to use Gibson's trademarks or designs. These guys are appropriating the name because they think it'll help to sell their crap guitars. And, who knows, maybe it does.

User Info Menu

Gibsons response to Heritage lawsuit. It alledges that Heritage was not adhering to the agreement.

Gibson issues formal response to Heritage lawsuit - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"In 2016, Heritage Guitars was acquired by a real estate development group. In 2017, BandLab acquired a majority stake in Heritage Guitars that created a partnership consisting of a Singapore based conglomerate (run by the son of a billionaire) and the Chicago based real-estate group. In 2019, Heritage initiated conversations with Gibson centered around leveraging Gibson’s iconic site for broader commercial purposes, including the plans to convert the (Parsons Street, Kalamazoo) factory into a hotel. A meeting was held, but no further action was taken.

Recently, Heritage launched some new guitars that clearly did not respect, nor adhere to, the original contract. In fact, several customers had inquired if they were actually Gibson Guitars. Heritage Guitars also took the liberty of using language on their website that was misleading and misrepresenting, which added to the confusion."

Which new guitars are they talking about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Can't we all just get along?

Well... no. Apparently humans can't do that.