The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

These two instruments just arrived. Fortunately there was no harm to the contents.

The fragile warnings didn't help much though.

Gibson Shipping Box Crush-20200309_111419-jpgGibson Shipping Box Crush-20200309_111431-jpgGibson Shipping Box Crush-20200309_111424-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I guess the shipper wasn't a B.B. King fan? That's a shame.

User Info Menu

I have seen UPS driver stand on boxes rather than use their ladder.

User Info Menu

BTW, I grew up and my mom still lives not too far away from you (the OP.) Berrien County.

User Info Menu

Yikes !

User Info Menu

Oh wow!
    Thankfully the contents were not harmed. Did the headstock compartment have the air pillows in them?
    JD

User Info Menu

That is freakin' unacceptable! The driver knew the boxes were damaged when delivered and should have alerted you (unless he/she did the damage).

Thankfully there's no damage to the case or guitars. I'd send the photos to the shipper.

User Info Menu

Sometimes it seems like a "FRAGILE" label is an invitation to abuse.

Those corners have absorbed some shock, but I'm pretty sure they were not designed as crumple zones.

I'm very glad the contents were unharmed!

User Info Menu

This is exactly why I never ship a guitar UPS ground. We have seen countless examples of mis handling posted on this forum ......and in most cases......it’s a UPS ground shipment.

I send all guitars Fed X priority - and in over 8 years never had a recipient receive a box with anything more then a few scuffs .......including exports.

Sure - it’s expensive, but historically less risk.

User Info Menu

Holy hell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    This is exactly why I never ship a guitar UPS ground. We have seen countless examples of mis handling posted on this forum ......and in most cases......it’s a UPS ground shipment.

I send all guitars Fed X priority - and in over 8 years never had a recipient receive a box with anything more then a few scuffs .......including

exports.

what about insurance my understanding is Fed ex no insurance carried? They don’t deal with it.

User Info Menu

I have my own insurance policy through Heritage Insurance. I can add a guitar with an email, then remove it from the policy just as quick. Most carriers have a max liability which is normally around 1k. I use this for purchases.....since once a guitar is sold ....the title is technically with the new owner. There are exceptions.

So- for example.....if your buying a guitar thats 5k or over you should insure it - and preferably have it sent Fed X priority. My cost to add a 5k guitar is $12.00 ......no brainer. The cost of shipment with my Fed X account is less then without an account.

For lesser value guitars you may want to take more chances- everyone has to decide their own risk tolerance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have same never thought much about shipping. I should call Heritage about this if I sell one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Oh wow!
    Thankfully the contents were not harmed. Did the headstock compartment have the air pillows in them?
    JD
    It was shipped just like Gibson packs the guitars- with no internal protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I have same never thought much about shipping. I should call Heritage about this if I sell one.
    Mark, they will insure just 1 guitar if needed for a shipment,......or like in my case ....I have a base policy which enables me to add or subtract guitars. The policy covers damage in and outside of my home. So, if a guitar falls off a stand , or stolen from your car its covered. It even covers depreciation should an instruments value be affected by a repair.

Its worth looking into.....its surprisingly reasonable.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Im really glad to hear your guitars were unharmed. You never really know what’s going to happen in a shipment. Sometimes shock creates more damage then a dented box.

On one of my purchases of a classical guitar , the dealer added shock sensors on the box. The carriers know what they are - and it adds some additional awareness.

User Info Menu

+1. I had a box shipped from Gibson Montana a few years ago that looked just like that box in the back. Fortunately, everything was OK. The guitar came in just fine.

But dang, that box in the front took some punishment . . . . I guess you got lucky

My guitar arrived in good shape mainly thanks to the hard case. The box was pretty decent cardboard, but with only a little plastic piece at the top & bottom that did nothing for protection. No peanuts, no bubble wrap, no paper, no nothing !!! I'm guessing Gibson has a better understanding of shipping by truck than via UPS or FedEx.

User Info Menu

That's gotta be an open it in front of the courier thing, right? Well, it would be for me.
    But MG has shipped and received many, so couldn't be anything but, I'd imagine.

User Info Menu

I keep thinking of my usual routine of stepping / pounding etc etc trying to collapse a cardboard box for the garbage cart.. I have never ever crushed a corner like that - - -and man i've tried.
    How much force would it take going straight at it- -or from what height would that package have to have been dropped - -perfectly - -to damage that corner like that ?
    Glad the guitar's ok !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I keep thinking of my usual routine of stepping / pounding etc etc trying to collapse a cardboard box for the garbage cart.. I have never ever crushed a corner like that - - -and man i've tried.
    How much force would it take going straight at it- -or from what height would that package have to have been dropped - -perfectly - -to damage that corner like that ?
    Glad the guitar's ok !
    Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing. I couldn't even do that much damage if I *tried*.

User Info Menu

MG,
    I’ve seen Gibson send custom shop guitars with the bubble wrap inside of soft cotton material made into pillows. They put one under the head stock and one above, in the headstock compartment. Sounds like these guitars didn’t have that. Thankfully, it sounds like you got lucky.
    JD

User Info Menu

........and judging from the number of labels on that box, you have to wonder how many times it'd already been used.....

User Info Menu

I recently got something from reverb that was shipped via ups. Box was all popping out the top, tore up good, the flaps having freed themselves of most of the tape. Not a whole lot of punch or kick damage, but there was some air bags (several popped), then a second box, then a case.

The bass was fine, but the case has a huge crack in it. Tore through the tolex and everything. Luckily, the seller for the reverb insurance so they gave me a partial refund to cover the cost of a new case.

It did give me some pause, though. The impact made it through two boxes, air bags and a case. What would have happened to an archtop instead of a slab body bass? Or if there was only the outer box and some packing material?

Never much cared for ups in that regard. Can't say I do now.

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree more.

I send all guitars Fed X priority - and in over 8 years never had a recipient receive a box with anything more then a few scuffs .......including exports.

User Info Menu

I have found that even FedEx Ground/Home Delivery is safer than UPS.