The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
    I would love to get some experience with a 335 or similar but I'm on a budget.

Can anyone tell me experiences with the Electra X420. Any suggestions on budget 335s that would help me understand if I really like them?

I had a great experience with a budget Eastman before getting my Gibson es175 and hoping I can do something similar!

Electra X420-electra-x420-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just looked up that guitar - looks great, but for the same money as they go for on Reverb I’d look for a used es335 Studio. I had a 339 studio that was really nice to play and - to me - sounded better than the non-studio, the studio version had Classic 57s rather than Burstbuckers which I’m not overly fond of.

Of course I sold that 339 because I wound up always playing my Godin Mahogany Montreal which is very similar in style (with the addition of an acoustic pickup as well as the two humbuckers - perfect for the gigs I do) and it cost about $1100 CAN used.

Godin also has some similar guitars without the acoustic side - I highly recommend looking at them, I love mine.

User Info Menu

You owe it to yourself, if you like 335's, (and who doesn't?) to get yourself over to GC and try an Epiphone 335 PRO. I was ASTOUNDED by one and so I brought it home. Really wanted the Larry Carlton and BBking vibe for a long time. And there it was.
    I put it on layaway, and the next day, they put them on sale. WHAAAATTTT ???? A great value in a great guitar and then the price went down!

So, it is just like a Gibson, and not so heavy, with great pickups and volume/tone pots. Pretty to look at, but even better to play. Vibrant tone, and easy on the fingers. I gig with it every week.

They do go on sale every few weeks, at GC or MF. Grab one before they are gone.

User Info Menu

Cort Source. Real easy to play, very sturdily built I changed the neck pickup on mine for an SD 59 and it pretty much can do anything except cook you an omelet.

I'm sure the epi's would do what you want them to. The heavy thick lacquer on the necks is pretty annoying though imho. But there is no shortage of 335 types out there. Best of luck.

User Info Menu

A used MIJ tokai is often a bargain for the quality of the instrument you get

User Info Menu

Agreed. As is a used Edwards, particularly the LTS series of ES-335 and ES-355 copies. Significantly less $$$ than the Gibsons on which they are based. Typically bought from Japan and shipped via EMS. What sets them apart is that they have solid carved maple tops/backs w/mahogany blocks. Hardware includes Seymour Duncan pickups and Gotoh bits. They usually come in matte nitro finishes but sometimes come in gloss nitro. Here are a couple - the black one has been polished from matte to gloss:

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-06-2020 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

The World is awash with 335 clones, and given the design is so old (should I say mature) many are very well done. Most issues that can arise include "proud frets", electronic issues , finish problems from poor manufacturing techniques that are readily solved or in the case of sub par finishes ignored.

I bought a Harmony 335 clone at a git show for something like $200 and its finish is wrinkling, and the pups were extremely weak. After installing DiMarzio and Schaller pups (which are worth more than the git itself) it's a marvelous player. The "one piece at a time" (Thanks Mr. Cash) build pays off if you start with a decent base.

Nit pickers and fastidious eye hearing players wouldn't touch it with 10 foot pole but it's a great traveler, or bar gigging git where rowdy drunks might manhandle it while unattended.

At any rate, to suggest one, right now there are many Epi Sheraton models out there for silly low prices.

Electra X420-harmony_fixed_s-jpg

User Info Menu

The D'Angelico EXDC make in Korea is a very nice guitar. Sold new for $700, iirc, and probably sells used for less than half.

They have a very hard finish so they can look like new for a long time.

User Info Menu

The Korean-made EX DC ("Excel") model sells for around $1600 new. Used they go for $750-1000. The made in Indonesia ("Premier") version is about $800 new.

The original version of the MiK DC (from ca. 2005-8) was originally about $1500, but blown out for $800 when they shut down production ca. '08. I have one of these (though I got it a few years after that event). Agreed, it has a very durable finish. Mine has taken many little knocks and bumps, to no visible effect at all.

John

User Info Menu

Don't forget the mid-level and higher Ibanez Artcores, and Artstars. You can get them used for a good price, and they often have Ibanez' Super 58 pickups in them, which are great sounding. I regret getting rid of the Artstar AS120 I had 12 years ago. It was a great guitar (though nowadays I have Heritage H-535, so I'm good in the '335 department).

User Info Menu

The x420 is an Electra? I had an Electra bass from 1970 that I rehabbed and made into a good player.

I think the quality of the current Epis is very good now, so if I wanted a budget 335 style that would be where I’d look. Also the Peerless model—Bird of Prey?—great bang for the buck.

The D’Angelico’s are well-made too. I like the Bob Weir model in particular (don’t know about the pickups though).

People also like the budget Ibanez guitars.

So many possibilities. My bias is to go with a more popular model made by a large manufacturer or at least a reputable plant (Peerless for instance). That way there’s some assurance of quality control.

User Info Menu

So many ways to go! I walked into GC, tried an Epiphone 339 with humbuckers, to see if they were improved upon from a couple of years ago. They are. But, I also tried an Epi 335 Pro, just to see!

Man!!!! If it wasn't the best 335. I didn't even want one! But when I heard the Larry Carlton and BB King vibe issuing forth, and the lighter weight, the comfortable neck plus the cool Cherry finish, I bought it.

2 days later, it went on sale. So I got the sale price on it. Win, win win.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Yes, I just bought an
    Electra x420 on Craigslist.

Well built. The nut width is a bit narrow. Things feel a bit crowded down at the nut where the cowboy chords are, but hey, I am playing jazz here so I don’t care. This is my second Electra guitar and I am not disappointed.
    Last edited by jimlytle; 08-11-2020 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I also want a 335 someday, and from all the reviews I have read, I'm going with an Epiphone... PRO or not, those guitars get rave reviews. And are budget even when brand-new. I've also read good things about Ibanez' and Yamahas, but I figure Epi is closer to the holy grail Gibson, so....

The newer Epis even have great pickups in them already: basically, they are Gibson Classic 57s, rebranded as Epi Alnico Pros.

Well, after years and years of searching ... I ended up with a blonde epiphone elitist! Craigslist quarantine deal was way too good and it was the first one I played that sang to me. Will show it off when I get a chance - I thought working more from home would give me more time but ....

User Info Menu

If you are on a budget check out the Sire line of guitars. They include a semi hollow model endorsed by Larry Carlton. I haven't played one, but they are under $1000 and look worth checking out.

Reverb