The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

"This is a jazz forum and I love archtops as much as the rest of us, but D'A's and Strombergs are far from the big ticket items at Songbirds. It's the rare Teles, Strats and Les Pauls in the vault that are likely the most guarded".

I was in a liquor store once (well perhaps more) and noticed a $350 bottle of scotch directly at arms length and far out of access bottles of $25 Grey Goose vodka behind the counter. I asked the counter guy, wtf? He said "we try to prevent people from stealing what they're most likely to steal".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So here is a pristine 1954 Gibson ES150 being played by a not-so-pristine 1955 Person... noodling over the changes to "Here's That Rainy Day"

Last edited by lawson-stone; 03-05-2020 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's the Gibson 1958 ES175. Fingers fumbling a little... excitement, nervousness!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's the Gibson 1958 ES175. Fingers fumbling a little... excitement, nervousness!
    I didnt hear any nervousness. Sounded nice Lawson. Sounds like it was a great time. And your better half tried making the video taking, interesting. That is really cool.
    You did what I have a hard time doing. I just dont play other peoples guitars. I will play my own guitars, setup for me, in the comfort of my own space - for anybody. But I just dont like playing in uncomfortable positions. Just me.
    You did good bud.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I didnt hear any nervousness. Sounded nice Lawson. Sounds like it was a great time. And your better half tried making the video taking, interesting. That is really cool.
    You did what I have a hard time doing. I just dont play other peoples guitars. I will play my own guitars, setup for me, in the comfort of my own space - for anybody. But I just dont like playing in uncomfortable positions. Just me.
    You did good bud.
    Joe D
    You are a gracious soul, sir. The good people at Songbirds made it easy. They purchase only the most pristine examples of the guitars in their collection, unless of course some historic instrument is not pristine. The ones they make available to be played are set up well. That ES175 I estimate had .11's. They were round wound but not hard to manage at all. The ES150 was also set up perfectly except again for round-wound strings. The amp they gave me to use was heavenly, and I can't remember what it was. A boutique tube amp of some sort, but very warm and lively. The curator was super knowledgeable and also a fine player himself, and he was clearly enjoying hearing all my bebop licks and chord melody. Said they just don't get many old-school jazz players in there. I liked being called an "old school jazz player!"

User Info Menu

You are a gracious soul, sir.
    Thank you Sir. And so are you..
    The curator was super knowledgeable and also a fine player himself, and he was clearly enjoying hearing all my bebop licks and chord melody. Said they just don't get many old-school jazz players in there. I liked being called an "old school jazz player!"
    NICE!!
    JD

User Info Menu

So what did you feel/hear when playing the 58 compared to your 59 VOS?