The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How do you feel about modelers?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own a modeler, and it is my main rig

63 31.34%
  • I own a modeler, which is not my main rig

42 20.90%
  • I have tried a modeler and liked it

20 9.95%
  • I have tried a modeler and did not like it

30 14.93%
  • I have not tried a modeler, but I am interested

22 10.95%
  • I have not tried a modeler, and am not interested

24 11.94%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 214

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. First post for me here.

When I had lots of shows back in 2005-2009 I got tired of amps and pedalboards and got a GT-6. I was in one of those bands that do 4 hour shows with every style of music so it was great. Not my favorite sounds but it did the job and I love the options Boss give you to set the switches and everything.

When the gigs came back to 10-15 a year I got back to amps. Had a Tech 21 Liverpool pedal as a backup and used it a couple of times. Sounded great!

Last year I got into a project where everyone plays direct. There's no amps. I tried to use an amp but it didn't work so I got a HX Stomp.

It took some time to get used to it, getting good IRs was a big help (using Celestions), but it payed off.

When there was gigs, I could setup in 5 minutes and I could be in my car driving home 10 minutes after the show was over and I loved the sound of it.
    Also, I play a lot more guitar now that I can put the kids to bed and go play with a sound that I like.

If I could, I'd still use amps, and I still do at home when I have the chance, but I'm pretty happy putting my in-ears and rocking through zeros and ones.

Also, the modeling made me realize how much I prefer small combos to bigger amps.
    The amps I use most are the 5C3 and now I pair it with the Princeton Reverb model for a Mike Campbell style setup.

I also like the Fawn AC30 when I'm feeling jangly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

december, 2020 update:

i'm using modelers more than ever. full time, more or less. i still have my analog amps but they never get played, and might not for the foreseeable future, since there's nowhere to go with them. but thanks to softube amp room, a couple of neural plug ins and the all new amplitube 5, i'm getting the best sounds i ever have for noodling and recording, and i have more options than i'll ever know what to do with.

sure, i spend a fair bit of time goofing around and trying new things, but i chalk that up to learning my tools, as it were. and though i have billions of options, i whittle it down to just a handful of favorites. i'll have my daily drivers, several colors i like that'll get used when the moment arises and the rest will be ignored, to be discovered if i get bored in the future, if at all.

i got my vox tones (my preference in real life), more marshall sounds than i thought i wanted, any tweed or black face fender, some sweet oranges and a buttload of high gain tones in several flavors. and those are just the go-tos. mix ready, and with all the effects i need (which isn't much). all for much less than the price of a decent amp. i'm pleased. the hunt is largely over. a few clicks and i'm playing. if a need inspiration or a different color, a few more clicks and it's there.

User Info Menu

I have a 1963 Modeler. In that year Fender decided to take a bunch of tubes, resistors, and capacitors and "model" a circuit that sounds like heaven. They called it the Vibroverb... that's the modeler I have.

User Info Menu

I actually learned guitar using software modelers. When I bought my first electric, I was using Garageband. I've since bought and sold a couple of amps, but my main "amp" is S-Gear. It sounds incredible and I can play anytime night or day without disturbing the rest of the family. I have a Supro Keeley amp that sounds great too. But since Covid, it doesn't get a lot of use with everyone home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    From my own experience, I have to disagree with you Pat. I had a Line 6 POD HD for a long time and I got more than my money's worth out of it. The biggest benefit was that I was able to get incredibly high quality recordings without any other recording gear other than a computer. I've never even gotten close to that quality with a mic and interface. It was also great for playing at home and gigs through a fairly modestly priced setup. My favorite setup was a $100 class D power amp and a Raezers Edge NY8 cab. I got more complements on the live sound from that rig than anything I've ever played through.

It should also be noted that there's an incredible new generation of modelers on the market now, both in limited option pedals like the Iridium and Swiss Army Knives like the NuX MG300. They're very reasonably priced ($200 to $500), powerful and offer great clean tones. I'm in the processing of reequipping after my return to Mexico and while I like the simplicity of a good amp, the utility of modeling has it still very much on the table. One need only Max405's recordings and video to get a sense of just how useful these devices can be.
    So you're disagreeing with how I feel they sound and feel? Hmmm, I'll use my own ears, I've played a bunch and have an Iridium now, and it doesn't hold a candle to my Princeton.... I suppose if you are playing only jazz, you can get a nice sound from modeling gear.... the Line 6 does not sound good IMO... you do you lol... I'm glad you can get sounds you like from those things, I can't... and the feel makes it worse... the Iridium is not too bad, and gives me a few choices, but still not the same, although the feel is way better

User Info Menu

I’m not interested in modelers EXCEPT for the Fender TM Twin. There are some gigs when I need a lot more clean volume than my 5e3 can deliver and the weight savings of the TM series is really intriguing. When gigs return I’m heading to the local dealer with my arch top and lap steel to check ‘em out.

User Info Menu

My vibroverb joke aside, I have had a HeadRush pedalboard for a couple of years. I find the amp models and effects pretty good but not great, especially the effects.

When I was really into it, I grabbed some 3rd-party patches (which were better than anything that came with it) and a bunch of IRs. I tried playing through an FRFR speaker but really could never dial in the "in front of the amp" tone or feel with FRFR speakers, so I ditched what a lot people consider one of the great benefits of modelers.

I then tried using a the HeadRush into a little Quilter 101 minihead (using just the loop return to bypass the Quilter's preamp) and outputted that to a 1x12 pine cab with a vintage JBL D123. That sounded as good as I think a modeler can sound (vintage 2018/19). I played that most of the time for about 18months. I basically only played models of fender clean amps (PR, DR, SR, Twin)

Once I got my Vibroverb, sitting in front of that amp at low volume, the tone and feel was something other worldly (really with any guitar I own).

My own take: modelers can be cool and portable and full of amp tones and effects you may want to try but don't want to buy a dedicated $200 pedal or multiple amps to simply experiment. When I first got into it, that's what I did: a lot of exploring and experimenting, and dual signal chains, and playing with lots of different effects. I can't say I made a lot of music, but I made a lot of noise for sure. Then the novelty kind of wore off.

Maybe I'm a one or two tone kind of guy - mostly guitar, cable, amp - but I love the tones that I love while some guitar tones make me want to cover my ears and run.

Heck, I have an Eventide H9 Max that's mostly used as a tuner unless I want to get my Frisell on.

However I do think modelers are not going away and as processing power increases and prices come down, I think they will continue to find their way into our bag of tricks.

-Chris

User Info Menu

Sometime last fall my wife noticed me toting my tube amp to and from work. I like to play during lunch hour and with a coworker in the basement. Then in the evenings she sees me put the amp back in the car going to a rehearsal. Soon after on Christmas morning I was surprised to find a small modeling amp under the tree with my name on it. I was so Floored by my wife’s wonderful idea and committed research to the project! I gave her a big hug and kiss, thanked her from the bottom of my heart then leaned in gently and told her “we will be returning this tomorrow.”

User Info Menu

Why would I want a simulation when I can have the real thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Why would I want a simulation when I can have the real thing?
    Cost
    Weight
    Flexibility
    • Different amps (e.g. switch between Fender BF and Vox)
    • Different speaker IR's (switch between 2X12, 1X15, 4X10, etc)
    • Pedal like a Strymon with an FRFR or amp like a Tonemaster

Maintenance
    • No tube replacement. No tube sourcing worries.
    • No cap replacement
    • No warmup
    • Forget to turn it off? No problem
    • More durable including knocking about

Modular upgrade path
    • Download new IR's
    • Download model tweaks from other users online (some modelers, not all)
    • Swap a piece of the system, keep the rest

FRFR not limited like a guitar amp
    • More db's than you need (my Yamaha speaker is 2000 watts)
    • You can run acoustic guitar through the rig
    • You can run voice/horn/and the break CD
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-10-2021 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Cost
    Weight
    Flexibility

Maintenance
    • No cap replacement
    • No warmup

Modular upgrade path
    • Download new IR's

Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing!

Danny W.

I've tried several times. I usually get tired of having to mess around in the menues, adjusting all the variables, forgetting to save, having to do the whole thing over again if I want to add some tiny detail, and then finding the sound to be just ok. I'm only 35, but yet I need the physical knobs, switches and wires for it all to make sense.

Still, it does seem very convenient for recording demos/Youtube stuff. Right now, I'm thinking of buying an iRig and see if I can make that work. Wonder how long it lasts this time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northenlights
    I usually get tired of having to mess around in the menues,
    A lot of us are that way. That's why the Strymon Iridium only has a few knobs/switches and why Fender Tonemaster's operate just like a regular amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Cost
    Weight
    Flexibility

Maintenance
    • No cap replacement
    • No warmup

Modular upgrade path
    • Download new IR's

I confess I was being a little facetious when I asked, as I knew that someone would give a thorough answer, which, for those interested in going the modeler route, isn't a bad thing. . All valid points and there really is no right or wrong here, but yet I still find that I want the real thing as opposed to a simulation. That's just me, I guess.

User Info Menu

my mid janurary 2021 update:

i've never sounded better. i've never been happier, more creative, or maybe most importantly, more excited to play, search and create.

it does cut both ways, though. since there is so much to discover, i always have something to do, so it stays fresh for me. when i'm bored of finding and maximizing my cleans, i go through the high gain amps. when my ears are blown out, i go back to cleans. i can perfect amps. i can perfect (the very few) effects, and if i need more or something different, i just swap or mix and match cabs to get something different. so, endless entertainment, but if i'm not careful, endless noodling and tweaking instead of getting things done.

while nothing can replace to visceral thrill of going straight into my amp and cranking it, that just isn't feasible these days. so i went the other way, and i have so many colors to choose from. rather than struggle through the over 100 amps, i just perfected five or six really good cleans, and about as many high gain, and then maybe a few oddballs and switch between those, or swap out components within those chains to make new sounds. and for $15, i can pick up a new cabinet pack which essentially represents a whole new overhaul of every amp sound i have.

so now a have various flavors of orange, marshall and fender on tap, not to mention dr z and hiwatt to supplement my preferred vox sounds. and those are just for cleans. with a few different cabs on hand to manage those. you know how expensive, time and space consuming that would be in real life? i'm learning so much about my tastes and abilities and doing things i wouldn't have otherwise done because of these modelers. in a way, it's like a college education. i'm studying hard and my mind is expanding. this definitely has me reconsidering future purchases; not just which analog amps and cabs to buy, but whether such a thing would even be necessary.

for you luddites out there: one thing i've noticed about myself is that i tend to prefer skeuomorphic gear. that is, things that look like the things they are imitating. that makes things a lot easier for me to get my head around, because the "amp" looks like the amp, and the "mics" and the "cabs" look just as they would in real life. that keeps me interested on a visual level (i am a super visual person) and makes changes more predictable and clear. when i see modelers with generic interfaces, or just a bunch of sliders (helix) or whatever, instead of a "real" depiction of the amp being modelled, i don't even bother.

User Info Menu

The Axe FX reviews I have seen are impressive. Almost limitless possibilities. That being said, it will never sound as good as a hand wired ptp tube amp. It gets close...the question is, is that good enough..?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    for you luddites out there: one thing i've noticed about myself is that i tend to prefer skeuomorphic gear. that is, things that look like the things they are imitating. that makes things a lot easier for me to get my head around, because the "amp" looks like the amp, and the "mics" and the "cabs" look just as they would in real life.
    The skeuomorphic look makes life in a simulation so much more liveable.

User Info Menu

If you're going to live in the matrix, may as well put your feet up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs13
    The Axe FX reviews I have seen are impressive. Almost limitless possibilities. That being said, it will never sound as good as a hand wired ptp tube amp. It gets close...the question is, is that good enough..?
    How do you know? How can you with such assurance say it will never sound as good? And what is “as good?” For me it’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

for some reason, I can't access the voting (I'm not in Georgia)
    I bought a used Strymon Iridium for recording, and I'm super happy with it... especially with my Ibanez AS120 with Bareknuckle Manhattan pickups, it really likes that guitar a lot

User Info Menu

I've gone back and forth. Currently, with my wife retiring, I don't have much alone time at home. Also, the neighbors are at home these days.

I'm now using Amplitube 5 and am very happy with it. One thing I never did before was swap out mics, speaker cabinets, and even change speakers in a cabinet. Amplitube allows you to do all that and I was surprised how much of a difference all of that can make. That's something that is really not practical for most to do with real amps.

User Info Menu

Yeah, amplitube represents just way too many options. I tend to stick to just a couple of favorite mics and rack eq's. One neat trick is to swap out the speakers that aren't mic'ed, and catch those by bringing up the room mics. Subtle, but it's there.

I tend to find that if I'm not using a third party ir, I tend to stick to just a few cabs, too. A 115 or 410 for the fenders, the orange 412 and engl XXL for rock/metal, etc. I don't often used the suggested cab. I don't often mix it up with the cabs and speakers unless I'm after something I can't quite get otherwise. But there are plenty of ways to skin that cat in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I've gone back and forth. Currently, with my wife retiring, I don't have much alone time at home. Also, the neighbors are at home these days.

I'm now using Amplitube 5 and am very happy with it. One thing I never did before was swap out mics, speaker cabinets, and even change speakers in a cabinet. Amplitube allows you to do all that and I was surprised how much of a difference all of that can make. That's something that is really not practical for most to do with real amps.
    Amplitube is really fun and useful for me too. The ability to make useable sounds and save them for later recall is so handy. If I’ve recorded a good take and add instrumentation later, it’s way easier to go in and modify the plugin to fit in to the mix than trying to get the new sound and nailing that take all over again. Plus, I have all the SVT models so when it’s bass time, I can get that old school vibe in a hurry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Amplitube is really fun and useful for me too. The ability to make useable sounds and save them for later recall is so handy. If I’ve recorded a good take and add instrumentation later, it’s way easier to go in and modify the plugin to fit in to the mix than trying to get the new sound and nailing that take all over again. Plus, I have all the SVT models so when it’s bass time, I can get that old school vibe in a hurry.
    i'm also very plug in dependent. not only does it facilitate noodling in the moment when you're more creative, but when it's time to record, you can cycle through to find the one that matches what you got going on and then tailor it to fit the mix. way faster that starting from scratch every single time. i went through what i was interested in, and made a general preset for most of my favorite amps; either clean, super distorted or somewhere in between. and then just add/subtract or tweak from there.

the svt, b15 and orange are my favorite bass amps in there. my favorite guitar amps? oh boy. maybe the oranges? the or50, ad30, rockerverb... so underrated. some of the fenders- the vibroverb or super reverb... the hiwatt... i don't know. i tend to use it a lot in a complimentary way. i'll lay a guitar track down and then i'll look for something to play off that, like pokemon. if i have one part with a super middy marshall sound, i might counter with a low middy orange or a scooped rectifier, etc. if i have a middy vox sound, i might counter with a scooped fender or a darker marshall or orange. or just use the same amp and swap the cab or mics out for a different sound.

that's one of the great values in amplitube or modelers in general. always being able to complement and build on what i want to do. and that's a little harder to pull off with real amps, infinite resources notwithstanding.

User Info Menu

Electric guitars can be plugged straight into a mixing board or recording device. No 'modeler' is needed. This has been going on since day one.