The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How do you feel about modelers?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own a modeler, and it is my main rig

63 31.34%
  • I own a modeler, which is not my main rig

42 20.90%
  • I have tried a modeler and liked it

20 9.95%
  • I have tried a modeler and did not like it

30 14.93%
  • I have not tried a modeler, but I am interested

22 10.95%
  • I have not tried a modeler, and am not interested

24 11.94%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 214

User Info Menu

I have a Fractal Profiler and love it for gigs, especially smaller gigs where I don’t want to cart in my Vibrolux tube amp. Very flexible tones with the Fractal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve tried several, the best of which are the Eleven Rack and the UAD stuff.

For myself, the feel isn’t the same.

Ftr, I like tube amps and SS amps. Once the sound goes to zeros and ones, it changes.

All that being said, they certainly have their place (travel, heavily fx based music, etc).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    ...I am an output-trafo snob, definitely an OT-addict...... maybe I need therapy?...
    Please do not be too hard on yourself Trafos are the coolest thing in the world, I used them for low output moving coil pick-ups (cartridges). Needless to explain: it is about turntables, long time ago in the vinyl era.

User Info Menu

Does Randall MTS counts as modelers or?

It's basicly same power amp for all modules. But you only change like preamp capsules of amps.

So you have like power amp of amp X.
    One channel preamp of amp Y and second channel preamp of amp Z.

Cool concept.

User Info Menu

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...mnskajtesr.jpg

This is the basic concept.

My friend tried it via Randall Kirk Hammet amp.
    He wasn't very impressed by it.

He said on separate preamp and good power amp like Mesa Boogie 50-50 it would be fun to listen to it.

But on generic Randall head he wasn't very impressed.

But I dig the concept and idea.

But good power amp, preamp, and module .... it costs ... like 3000$ easily.

User Info Menu

The past is now.

Rather than make modern music, everybody is concerned to emulate faithfully the sounds of yesterday’s kit. Musicians have become technicians, turning dials and testing gadgets in their endless search for perfect tone. They will never find it, because real amps are made of parts, not algorithms. Sound exists in space and time, not in a programmer’s mind.

Here is a reminder of what makes an amp; fifteen minutes of Fane, Partridge transformers and everything else.

User Info Menu

The guy in the beginning of the video has problems catching his breath though, probably from having to move the amp in the middle of the room..

User Info Menu

Are the ToneMasters considered modelers, yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    For jazz gigs I plug straight into an AI Corus or Ten2, but for other stuff I use a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III. Will get their FM3 when they tell me it's available.

Danny W.
    This here, same for me..for jazz i plug into a Henriksen. For all my other gigs..Fractal Ax8 into the PA or a QSC behind me.

Like to hear your review of the FM3 when you get it..seems cool just not sure i can get away with the 3 button setup compared to my Ax8. Bet it will sound great

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who is fan of old Vox AD series? This were really lovely amps.
    Bunch of guys around me started on Vox AD series.

User Info Menu

I liked the Tone Master Twin Reverb I tried at the music store. If I were looking for a new amp, the lighter weight would sell it to me, even if it wasn't 100% as good as a real Twin. What would *really* hook me would be a Tweed Bassman version, as well as a separate head.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 03-04-2020 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I am curious about the Tonemaster series. But the real test is always on stage in the heat of a gig. Many amps that sound fine at home or even in the rehearsal room fall short on stage, when the horn section is there, the drummer gets enthusiastic and everybody turns up his mix in the monitors (which they shouldn’t of course, but it happens anyway).

My AB763 Guyatone Twin Reverb clone is the only amp that has proved to be able to always deliver, no matter what.

My Framus Strato 345 is a close 2nd, which is remarkable because it doesn’t even have half the Twins power and only 1 speaker.

If the Tonemaster Twin can do the same I would be sold.

User Info Menu

The only bit of modelling gear that I've been able to bond with is the OX from Universal Audio.

User Info Menu

I usually gig with my red pod. I set it to either black face or a tweed setting and use it like an amp into the PA. It doesn’t sound as good as my amps (vibrochamp and orange cube 60) but it’s convenient. I record with my VC and wish the pod sounded as good, but for a gig the pod is good enough. My band mates and the audience can’t tell the difference.

User Info Menu

From my first encounter with Boss COSM GT5 in the early '90s, to my POD 2.0, XT and Pro Live, I could never really bound with any of them and all got sold. I guess I am too lazy with programming through endless menus on a small LCD screen for hours to get a tone I like.
    I still have my Cube 80XL which makes the use of modeling easy but I can't say its as good as a real amp.
    For a couple months, I played with Amplitube on my PC including cabinet loader and IR and could get interesting results for recording but nothing I would use live.
    Nowadays I only use my PRRI for Jazz and my Cube 80XL for everything else...

User Info Menu

just had a thought ....

Fender could now bundle up the preamp section and make a Tonemaster Twin Reverb
    pedal ...
    and/or a TM Delux Reverb pedal

im not saying they will ...
    but they’d probably sell pretty good

User Info Menu

AMT F1 or Mad Professor Super Black ?? Tech 21 Blonde for Tweed?
    U have tons of Fender in box pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena View Post
    AMT F1 or Mad Professor Super Black ?? Tech 21 Blonde for Tweed?
    U have tons of Fender in box pedals.
    Yes LOTS and LOTS of pedals already aim to get the sounds of a Twin or Delux .....

But not a Fender made one .... Yet
    based on the reactions to the TM amps

I think that those pedals would sell well ....

User Info Menu

If sound is good, I don't care about name on box .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena View Post
    If sound is good, I don't care about name on box .....
    I think most modellers sound fine but they FEEL different: lacking volume, punch and projection.

User Info Menu

Well, if right now delivery would come to my house, with Vox AD 100 VT combo.
    And like, 10 tubes packages for next 20 years of playing.

I wouldn't say no to that.

User Info Menu

I'm on board with Litterick--post 31 and am definitely anti-technology(up to a point) when it comes to musical performance. The quality of the instrument, a simple, quality amplifier and a creative musician is my potato soup. I believe all of this techno-hype originated from Rock guitarists who came to Jazz and couldn't live without their toys. Where is the line between effects and overall musicianship and the sound of a quality instrument? As I've said in other discussions, I believe a good techie could make a junk guitar sound great. Good playing . . . and lost in old school . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 03-05-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    I'm on board with Litterick--post 31 and am definitely anti-technology(up to a point) when it comes to musical performance. The quality of the instrument, a simple, quality amplifier and a creative musician is my potato soup. I believe all of this techno-hype originated from Rock guitarists who came to Jazz and couldn't live without their toys. Where is the line between effects and overall musicianship and the sound of a quality instrument? As I've said in other discussions, I believe a good techie could make a junk guitar sound great. Good playing . . . and lost in old school . . . Marinero
    THIS!

Guitar-cable-tube amp. Reverb if it’s built in and sounds ok. No reverb, no problem.

User Info Menu

My main rig is a Helix LT through one of the old Line6 amps that I have setup for a flat EQ and response. I will eventually get a Line6 powercab to run it though. The reasons are fairly simple. I can play at any volume and have good tone. There are so many great effects and amp models, and I can dial them in to get almost any tone I could possibly want. It's a relatively inexpensive way to have a lot of sounds and tones at your disposal. Would I like a bunch of different amps and pedals? Sure would! But this setup makes the most sense to me right now.

I do have an old Jazzkat that I still use to plug directly into for my jazz stuff.

User Info Menu

Bet there were a lot of guitar players that felt tube guitar amps were an abomination when they first came out. And they do sound artificial up against an acoustic archtop. But that all turned out OK.

So.. how can people not at least be curious about modelers and want to try them? Odd.