The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the Henneken Concerto nylon string archtop? I'm particularly interested in the acoustic sound of it (tone and volume) as compared to a regular classical guitar. I'm also interested in the quality of construction. I haven't been able to find a single review of this guitar or any other Henneken model, which is pretty unusual in my experience. Any light shed on this would be much appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Henneken from Finland was an up and coming builder of high end archtops. I played one think ~15 years ago and it was an okay guitar, as someone did want to trade in on an L5 I was selling at the time (but I didnt take it). However after a few years many of his customers started to complain about serious issues (neck twists, cracks) due to the use of not properly dried woods. He went out of buisiness rapidly and seems to have disappeared completely

User Info Menu

BTW the model I played was a steel string not a nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by fws6

Henneken from Finland was an up and coming builder of high end archtops. I played one think ~15 years ago and it was an okay guitar, as someone did want to trade in on an L5 I was selling at the time (but I didnt take it). However after a few years many of his customers started to complain about serious issues (neck twists, cracks) due to the use of not properly dried woods. He went out of buisiness rapidly and seems to have disappeared completely
    Thanks!

Bump

User Info Menu

Hi Gibbo,

I have a steel string Henneken Royale for over 20 years.

It is very powerful acoustically and its finishes are very good.
    I think a member of this forum (Kris) has or had a nylon one, I saw a video some time ago.

In this thread, Kris mentions his guitar: This nylon archtop may blow your mind

Greetings.
    Attached Images Attached Images Henneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-20191122_201951-jpg 

Thanks very much for that Carlones.

User Info Menu

Hi, in 2008, I had Markku Henneken build me an archtop nylon string jazz guitar with a trapeze tailpiece, and an off-board Fishman pre-amp, Quilted maple sides and back. It's a beauty and sounds fantastic!

User Info Menu

I have one i purchased new 2002. I love it. Good tone and volume for me,but iam not a trained musician. It does have a very slight hairline on one side of the neck,it has not advanced in the last 15 years. Fit and finish over all is great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlones
    In this thread, Kris mentions his guitar: This nylon archtop may blow your mind
    Why am I getting a "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" on that link?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Why am I getting a "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" on that link?
    Same here.

User Info Menu

What do you need? pics of the guitar?sound?
    I sold this guitar a few years ago ... I have photos and a recording left.

User Info Menu

Both would be nice, TBH. Nylon archtops are rare enough (and I'm still hoping to own one, one day).

User Info Menu

Some pics:

Henneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-hen-1-jpgHenneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-hen-2-jpgHenneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-hen-3-jpgHenneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-hen-4-jpgHenneken Concerto nylon string archtop?-hen-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice - did it come with a compensated ebony nut (which is a bit surprising to see on a nylon stringer)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Nice - did it come with a compensated ebony nut (which is a bit surprising to see on a nylon stringer)?
    Yes.It is a compensated ebony nut.This guitar tuned brilliantly.
    Top preamp and udersaddle piezo made by Fishman.