The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

....on a guitar or amp in the last 5 years. The CME deals a few years ago do NOT count!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two and a half years ago I was offered a Gibson acoustic (I'd rather call it pre-owned instead of used) at a great price I absolutely couldn't resist although I really didn't need another acoustic...

User Info Menu

Well not in the last 5 yrs, but in the early 80's I got a pre-war blond L5 for $100. Really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Well not in the last 5 yrs, but in the early 80's I got a pre-war blond L5 for $100. Really.
    So that's it then - can't be beat. Thread closed - LOL!

Congrats on such a deal!

User Info Menu

Besides my best friend of the past 4 decades (and first guitar teacher) giving me a Peavey classic 30, and outside the parameters of your poll, the best deals I've gotten were 4 or 5 great music teachers that gave me one hour lessons that would last three hours. I like to think I got more out of that than any amp or guitar bought below market value. I did get in 1989 a $5000 Brune classical for less than $3000.

User Info Menu

Have to go back 8 years for mine, but I got my Heritage 575 for $1200.

You don't see that price on them too often anymore.

User Info Menu

I got an L5 that was once played by Wes along with an original 1965 Deluxe Reverb for 300 dollars. (Price was firm.)
    I was very depressed for the rest of the day when I woke up and realized it was a dream.

Other than that I got an Eastman 371 for 200CAD used. Everything else I bought, I got probably ripped off a bit. And a friend "borrowed" that Eastman, I haven't seen it since.
    I'm not bitter.

User Info Menu

Two years ago, I got a Mesa 50 Caliber from the original owner in excellent condition with original tubes, paperwork etc. for $300 (Bought from a Craigslist ad)

Last year, I bought two guitars at great prices:

An L-5CESN for $5150 (Bought from a fellow forum member) and,

A Shelly Park Encore for just over 2K (Bought from EBay)

I would like to think I am done buying guitars and amps, but whenever any deals like those show up, I will be pulling the trigger.

User Info Menu

Dollar-for-sound probably a Tacoma RoadKing DR8C flat-top for about $225.00. Incredible wood, incredible sound, full (glued) bridge-to-block center-seam crack and the truly abominable Tacoma-rash finish. I sold it because I always felt like it was going to explode.

Dollar-for-satisfaction, the Eastman El Rey 4 has been my Number One since it arrived a couple of years ago. Guitar Denter sold it for under half the regular street price because it had a 1/2" spruce crack off the cutaway. The crack is repaired and covered by my home-made pickguard. The El Rey is not precisely Sam's Fantasy Spec but it is close enough to keep me grinning.

I'm feeling pretty lucky at the moment. Next . . .
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 02-29-2020 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Have to go back 8 years for mine, but I got my Heritage 575 for $1200.

You don't see that price on them too often anymore.
    I doesn't get much better, your 575's twin I got for $1125. I was on the fence about getting it and Patrick nudged me in the right direction.

User Info Menu

Fender D'aquisto Elite blonde, brand new. $0, given to me by the music store I worked for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I doesn't get much better, your 575's twin I got for $1125. I was on the fence about getting it and Patrick nudged me in the right direction.
    Just about any Heritage archtop bought 'used' before 2005 would have been a great deal, compared to today's market. I bought a mint Sweet 16 for only $1,600 in 2000. Those are now going for between $5k and $6k new.

Even some of their new or custom models were priced far under their contemporaries of the time.

Those days are long gone..................unless archtop prices tumble like the current stock market.

User Info Menu

I bought an Ibanez bass practice amp at a garage sale for $10.

It usually sells for under $100, I think, but the more important point is that it's been the bass amp in my rehearsal room for years and I've gotten an enormous amount of use out of it.

I've gotten some decent deals on other things, but nothing all that unsual. Paid $250, iirc, for my JC55. $500 or so or a mint Nylon Multiac.
    $180 for a Roland KC150. Not all that great a price, but it has been a workhorse for keyboards, anything requiring a mic and I've even done guitar gigs with it, in a pinch.

User Info Menu

ES-390 w/ case for $1800, mint condition
    ES-165 w/case for $1900, excellent condition

Both purchased in the last 3 years or so. Not super great deals, but also not approachable for those prices today.

User Info Menu

A year and a half ago, this 55 L5N for less than $5k:
    What's the best guitar deal you've ever gotten?-img_2062-jpg

User Info Menu

1978 Benedetto, for $4,000. Sold for north of $13,000, before commission. Originally sold to a collector, and it was still mint, not a mark or minor scratch on it. I was afraid to play it for fear of putting a scratch on it. It was the only guitar I've ever bought as an investment, and I don't expect another.

User Info Menu

Early 2000's, I'm living in Boston. Walking through an 'open house', I spot a silver Twin in the attic, long story short, the homeowner says I can have it for $20 if I carry it down the rickety stairs. Not long after, I'm talking to a pal in NYC, says he's saving up for a Twin, he played through one on a record session and really liked his sound. At the time I was really into modded Deluxes, and seeing as I introduced him to the woman that eventually became his ex-wife, I told him if he felt like making the drive, he could have it for what I had into it. He showed up the next day.......

PK

User Info Menu

I actually married a gal with three nice guitars (not the only reason), so there's that.

I did just buy a Mahogany '53 Martin 0015 for $650 but was rough and needed some work, now done for about $0 and it's a sweet little guitar for about 20-25% of the avg market cost in my area.

The real deal was the '65 Princeton Reverb a friend gave me. It was stored in her basement where mice ate the speaker and peed on the reverb tank cover. She was grossed out and planned to take it to Goodwill... I said I'll take it, but not to Goodwill. My wife banned it to the garage, where I cleaned it up thoroughly, replaced the speaker with a 10" Weber and replaced all the pee parts. Then I had a tech go through it and add a 3-prong plug. Damn that thing is sweet. Total outlay about $100.

User Info Menu

2 years ago, I bought this 57 L5CESN for $5k:
    What's the best guitar deal you've ever gotten?-16efb4c2-1fc8-4855-a516-187d0aad9b2b-jpg

User Info Menu

Not in the last 5 years but in the early 80s I bought a '59 burst Les Paul for $275 - sold it the next day for $800. There were others back in the day but that one stands out. Also a mint '47 Super 400 I got in trade for the equivalent of about $300.

User Info Menu

Holy smoke. A $100 pre-war blond L5. That's as good as it gets.

User Info Menu

A 61 Stratocaster for $80 -- of course, I bought it in 1969 though...

Also, for those who know Gypsy Jazz guitars, a 1940's Busato for $600; quick-sold it for five grand and paid for a trip for my wife and myself to France to attend the Samois Django Reinhardt Festival.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno Sadowsky for 1400.00. I had to buy two of these at once and then sell one to get to that final number.

User Info Menu

1938 Kalamazoo KG31 for $300 in 1993 ($545 in today’s money).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Pictures?
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-01-2020 at 12:28 AM.