Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 144
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Yep, Another one...

    This is my second Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian. This one in Sunrise Tea Burst.

    My Impressions. Well, Gibson really blew it with this line of Guitars. They had a good idea. But they marketed it all wrong. From the bullshit, "It uses less wood to make the neck", to the God awful unbound pickguard, its almost like they weren't even trying to sell these guitars. But the fact is, they made an incredible, yet over priced guitar that failed miserably. And I am glad. Because I got this New Old Stock 4-1/2 years after it shipped from the Custom Shop for a little more than 1/3rd of their original asking price and I couldn't be happier. The guitar has a sound all its own. Acoustically, its as good as any guitar I've ever played. Loud and smooth. It is precise. Tremendously balanced across the entire fretboard. The Neck is dead straight and flat. It takes the lowest action I've ever seen on a guitar. It plays as good or better than any other guitar I've ever had. And with the new pickguard, its actually beautiful. The wood used on my guitar is the nicest I've seen on a guitar. The top has incredible silk and the back and sides have a 3D flame figure that is a real eye catcher.
    I recorded this video after the Pickup had to be completely rewired and shielded. The factory did a poor job. Brian the magician (Guitar Tech at Sam Ash) made this guitar sound and play as great as it should have when it left the factory.
    I am glad I have it.
    Thanks for looking..


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Really happy for you Joe. Dude I've said it before and I'll say it again now: when you bond with a guitar you really know how to play it to get the very best sound out of it... I'm gonna be lulling myself to sleep playing your video over and over....


    Love you Bro,

    Mikey

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    I agree with you completely. Gibson actually came out with a great product, but marketing was atrocious. The name was the worst idea for any guitar I think I’ve ever seen. I think it may have actually been a success if they had done it right. I think initially selling it at a loss and moving it upward after getting it in the hands of enough people may have been a worthwhile approach. As it was done, they left almost everyone thinking they were greedy and full of crap.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Here is some pictures Mikey.
    Love you too bro.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-1c8ae635-e68c-4bb8-95f5-2ff6cf80fbff-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-4b671097-552c-4c64-abf8-a14cd51ffee3-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-bde40393-2ecf-4591-8c37-08a7912f375e-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-c5d35939-02bb-48f4-bbfd-3cb0b5b1e008-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-9239d5d7-e527-41eb-9afa-eaf46f250191-jpg 

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Sweet JD!

    Gibson's screw up is your gain. I dig the simplicity of the appointments. And as always, I dig your playing.

    May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    some beautiful playin right there Joe D....maybe not my favorite sounding guitar you have ever used...(you have used some great ones!! hah)...but great playing...i think you got every bit of tone out of it as possible!!!

    as always

    nice!

    cheers

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    Wowzers! How did you find that, Joe? That is very, very pretty. Congrats!
    Yeah, baby. It wasnt that hard to find. It just popped up one day. Thanks DM

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Sweet JD!
    Gibson's screw up is your gain. I dig the simplicity of the appointments. And as always, I dig your playing.
    May she inspire your playing for many years to come.
    Hey Bro, Brian calls my recordings musical sleeping pills. The guitar very clearly translates my effort into sound. So, I will be able to alter its sound by altering my playing. Its a great tool for expression. And yes, simple but made with beautiful wood. JD
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    some beautiful playin right there Joe D....maybe not my favorite sounding guitar you have ever used...(you have used some great ones!! hah)...but great playing...i think you got every bit of tone out of it as possible!!!
    as always
    nice!
    cheers
    N, Thank you buddy. Give it time. It's still a baby. Once it gets to vibrating, it will open up nicely. I like like it because its the same and different at the same time. I think Johnny Smith would have liked this guitar. It would have displayed his perfection, perfectly..

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Joe,

    First, Wow! That is some totally out of this world playing Bro! Made my day. I absolutely loved it! And, I'm not easily impressed. Not that I'm that great, but a very discerning listener. So nice to hear your playing.

    Now, regarding the guitar, I'm very impressed with the sound. I remember your previous Solid form, and am curious about the neck profile and what sort of pickup the thing sports.

    Oh, and Congratulations!

    Thanks, Steve

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Looks great. Much nicer burst than some of the other solid formed's I saw pics of.

    Sounds excellent. This type of guitar is just soooo you.

    If I could score a deal like you, this would be a "new" Gibson I'd strongly consider playing myself.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    WOW Bro ! Beautiful tone and playing. The bound pickguard is what that guitar needed. The stock ES125 type pickguard made the SF look cheesy. Sweet my man. I think if Gibson originally single bound the pickguard and headstock from the get go these guitars would have been a huge success. They are as good as a L7 IMO. Also with the dual action trussrod you can get feeler gauge action. Nice !

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Joe,
    First, Wow! That is some totally out of this world playing Bro! Made my day. I absolutely loved it! And, I'm not easily impressed. Not that I'm that great, but a very discerning listener. So nice to hear your playing.
    Now, regarding the guitar, I'm very impressed with the sound. I remember your previous Solid form, and am curious about the neck profile and what sort of pickup the thing sports.
    Oh, and Congratulations!
    Thanks, Steve
    Hey bud, Dont cut yourself Short my man. You are a beautiful player. Beautiful.
    The neck profile is identical to the Tal/L5 neck. Just a TINY bit slimmer than the 165 I have. I like both.
    The pick up... Oh boy thats a sore spot. Vinny distinctly remembers that 1st SF having a real BJB on it. This guitar has a pickup called a "J. Smith" pickup. Out of the box, it was bad. Weak, poorly wired horribly shielded - just a mess. Probably why this guitar sat and waited 4-1/2 years for me rescue it. The pickup was removed from the guitar and was on its way to Lindy Fralin, but Lindy told my tech to not send it, because he knew the pickup and he wouldnt trust a full wax potting because he though he might ruin it. So he and Brian collaborated on what to do. Brian re-wired it, reinsulated it and shielded it from the idiotic STEEL cover that is soldered onto the back of it. Right now, it is acceptable. But in the future, I will probably get a hand wound KA for it on a separate pickguard. Something more Classic 57 sounding. So then I will have this crystal clear pickup and a more muddy sounding pickup that I can swap in and out depending on my mood.
    The guitar is a definite keeper because of its beauty, playability and acoustic sound. So its not a money pit. I dont mind experimenting a little with it.
    Thank You Steve once again for your post.
    JD

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Sounds great, Joe, and it's very nice looking. I tried one of these a while back that didn't have the flame, and was a darker sunburst. This one looks way better than that. Is that your own arrangement of the tune?

    John

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Hey Joe, where you goin' with that guitar in your hands? Sounds good. I played one for ten minutes or so in Edinburgh. I thought it was good, but the price was ridiculous. But for the price you paid, that's a bargain. And it can count itself lucky falling into the right hands!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Looks great. Much nicer burst than some of the other solid formed's I saw pics of.
    Sounds excellent. This type of guitar is just soooo you.
    If I could score a deal like you, this would be a "new" Gibson I'd strongly consider playing myself.
    Mr B, Thank you buddy. The price to me made this guitar a no brainer. As I continue to rebound from the worst financial disaster of my life, I am still not able to get exactly what I want. But, I like variety. It keeps me interested. So when I thought about what I could get for under 3k, there wasnt many guitars that I was attracted to. Then, I saw this one and thought it would be a good idea. So far, so good.
    Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    WOW Bro ! Beautiful tone and playing. The bound pickguard is what that guitar needed. The stock ES125 type pickguard made the SF look cheesy. Sweet my man. I think if Gibson originally single bound the pickguard and headstock from the get go these guitars would have been a huge success. They are as good as a L7 IMO. Also with the dual action trussrod you can get feeler gauge action. Nice !
    Hey bro,
    When you bought the 1st one, I remember you telling me it would be a great guitar for my way of playing. You were so right. But during that time, I had to get the Vintage D'Angelico and Gibson Johnny Smith out of my system. So, the 1st one ended up being sold to fund that venture. But I never felt the SF was sold because it wasnt a good guitar. So I always left it open to the possibility of getting another one. When this one came along, I talked to you immediately about it and the rest is history.
    The pickguard is a great L5 pickguard sold by an online dealer called All Sound. I HIGHLY recommend this pickguard for anyone who needs a replacement for their's. Apparently its made in Japan. Super high Quality. And it was only like $55. No brainer..
    Thanks Vin. JD
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Sounds great, Joe, and it's very nice looking. I tried one of these a while back that didn't have the flame, and was a darker sunburst. This one looks way better than that. Is that your own arrangement of the tune?
    John
    Thank you John. The arrangement, like most of the arrangements I play are not my own. Its a gorgeous guitar. It really is. As was the 1st one had. There is a lot work with and its worth the effort. It really reminds me alot of my old L7c, but with bigger frets.

    Thanks again everyone.
    Joe D

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    One thing I must say is Gibson came out with awesome sunbursts for this model. Both this color and the bourbon burst are gorgeous. They also used very nice wood.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    So what is Gibson's next big archtop model naming idea? Gibson Animal Glue?
    Nice playing. Sounds like a great guitar.
    Hahaa.. Naa they would try to get cute and call it The Large Mammal Adhesive 16" Florentine. And focus on the fact that the adhesive was not made from crushed up animals.. Thanks Tal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Hey Joe, where you goin' with that guitar in your hands? Sounds good. I played one for ten minutes or so in Edinburgh. I thought it was good, but the price was ridiculous. But for the price you paid, that's a bargain. And it can count itself lucky falling into the right hands!
    Thank you Robster. I always appreciate the input you have. You know that. Thats a catchy line. Maybe we should make a song out of it..


    The Guitar, Well, Its a Gibson. And its made from all solid wood. Not carved. So they could have gotten away with that. But the pickguard? No way. I think if they sunk $20 more into the pickguard and sold these for $4,000 online, they would have made MORE money on them and hit a home run. But, they struck out instead. Just so everyone knows, The MSRP was $6,999. The store paid $3,500. The retailers make ALOT of money on Gibsons. So I dont want to hear them cry about it. Gibson sold this guitar (and probably others too), for half the price that you see in the MSRP.

    JD

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    One thing I must say is Gibson came out with awesome sunbursts for this model. Both this color and the bourbon burst are gorgeous. They also used very nice wood.
    They did bro.
    It is probably a very stupid mistake on my part to cast dispersion on a guitar that I just bought. There are SOOOO many positive things about this guitar. I shouldnt dwell on the negatives.
    The is the Gibson. And this guitar has a shape and a design that they invented almost 90 years ago. And it is now the benchmark that all other Jazz Guitars have aspired to be. The guitar has that legendary Gibson feel of solidness. You mentioned the dual action truss-rod. The tailpiece is iconic. The Grover tuners are nice. I happen to love the endpin Jack. Right now, there is nothing not to like about this guitar. And yes, the color. It is my absolute favorite color for a guitar, period, bar none.
    I will explore everything this guitar has to offer. I will learn its strengths. I will see it through its break in period. And I will enjoy it. Will I die with it? Probably not. But I feel lucky that I will be able to live with it. I am very fortunate to have this guitar. Lucky, big time.
    Thanks, Joe D

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I like the concepts that Gibson used to build this guitar. I agree the marketing was ill advised. I hope the Gibson solid formed guitar doesn't follow the Firebird X into oblivion.

    The guitar has intrinsic beauty, not an overly adorned shiny object. The pickguard is a tasteful replacement to the original.

    I am a fan of the BJB pickup. The KA 12 pole is also a winner.

    Joe, you sound great on the Heritage GE and the HJS jumbo, too. I hope your new guitar serves you well for a very long time, sir.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    It's a truly lovely instrument and your playing is so expressive, Joe - just exquisite. Congratulations on your new guitar, and thank you for sharing this with us. To your health!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Just beautiful playing as always. And the guitar is gorgeous, despite the lack of "bling." This is one I might keep my eyes open for if I can sell off a handful of instruments I currently have, keeping the ones that are gold.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I like the concepts that Gibson used to build this guitar. I agree the marketing was ill advised. I hope the Gibson solid formed guitar doesn't follow the Firebird X into oblivion.
    The guitar has intrinsic beauty, not an overly adorned shiny object. The pickguard is a tasteful replacement to the original.
    I am a fan of the BJB pickup. The KA 12 pole is also a winner.
    Joe, you sound great on the Heritage GE and the HJS jumbo, too. I hope your new guitar serves you well for a very long time, sir.
    Hey DrM
    How are you sir?
    I like the concept too.
    Glad you like the pickguard. I made a big difference to me. I wish this was a BJB. Electrically this guitar would have been a complete package if it was.
    Thank you for saying what you said about the GE and the HJS18. The GE is my baby. I have grown attached to it. It fits like a glove. The 3” depth creates the perfect geometry for me. That little bit 3/8 takes a bit to get use to. I will because this guitar deserves it. You would like all the silk in this one MG..
    Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-d67c464d-87df-4371-bf1d-d2f66f8ddf16-jpgGibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-1638a03e-b476-407c-a26d-9a2a25498136-jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    It's a truly lovely instrument and your playing is so expressive, Joe - just exquisite. Congratulations on your new guitar, and thank you for sharing this with us. To your health!
    C74, thank you sir. As I always say, the pleasure in the sharing is all mine. I remember when I went bed last night I went to sleep hoping you guys would like what I did. I am happy!
    Thanks buddy.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Very nice going there Joe! I must admit I have never even see a Gibson solid formed. Is it like a Johnny Smith?

    DB

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    I played a few of these when they came out and they are excellent guitars.
    Gibson was too stupid to list many specifications of consequence, but they can be found.

    DB: This should help - definitely NOT like a Johnny Smith:
    -Body size/depth - same as an L-7C or L-5C
    -Neck - mahogany w/rosewood board, large-ish "'59" profile neck w/1.687" Corian nut
    -Pickup (from Gibson, if they got it right) - 44 gauge wire, ceramic mag, DC resistance 16K
    -Bracing - My guess is parallel - perhaps Joe could check?
    -Scale - Gibson marketing literature claimed it's 24 3/4" but one member reports it as 25 1/2" - perhaps Joe could check his? One measures from the leading edge of the nut, between the D and G strings, to the center of the 12th fret, between the D and G strings. Then multiply by two.

    Some info is buried on this forum in here, including some nice-sounding demos:
    I bought a PM2-aa and just played a Gibson Solid Formed 17 V Cutaway...wow
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    Very nice going there Joe! I must admit I have never even see a Gibson solid formed. Is it like a Johnny Smith?

    DB
    Thanks DB. Thats big time praise coming from you. I appreciate it.
    I think you would kill it on a Solid Formed. Its a very precise, professional grade instrument. Your powerful playing style would be well suited to this guitar. Its very different in some respects than a Johnny Smith. Although, with a couple of modifications, I think Johnny wouId have liked this guitar. It would have accentuated his playing accuracy perfectly. He would have demanded a real Johnny Smith pickup. The one that came standard is called a "J. Smith" but I dont think the "J." stands for "Johnny". It is a weaker and more microphonic pickup than a real Johnny Smith. Poorly wired and shielded. It needed work. Its nice now, although in order to get decent volume out of it, I have it a little too close to the strings. You can hear my pick clicking when it comes in contact with the PU cover.

    The scale length on my Guitar is closer to 25".
    The depth is 3-3/8 at the rims. There is a good healthy arch, but not too much recurve.
    The frets are Medium Jumbo.
    The neck is Rosewood as opposed to Ebony.
    The Nut width is 1-11/16 as opposed to 1-3/4"
    The neck profile is very close to the L5 Wes and the Tal Farlow.
    It is louder acoustically than the Gibson Johnny Smith was.
    Notes feel very comfortable and sound pure when played on the "No Fly Zone" (frets 10-15, E, A and D strings). Johnny was adament about this..
    The Johnny neck was flatter and wider, more like a D. This is more like a C profile.
    Radius is the same at I am guessing 12 degree.
    The neck on my particular guitar takes extraordinarily low action and maintains perfect intonation from the 1st fret all the way up to the end.
    Its a very stable guitar. Maintains tuning perfectly from day to day.
    The top at the F-Holes is thin, but not too thin. I remember the Johnny Smith being a little thicker, and heavier.
    The Kluson Sealfasts tuners on my Johnny Smith got very stiff 40 years after they were born. The tuners on the Solid Formed are very smooth. The notes seem to "snap" into tune on the Solid Formed.

    Joe D

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Joe: sorry if you already answered it before.. Which amp or chain do you use?
    It sounds sweetly scouped.
    Thanks

    Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz View Post
    Joe: sorry if you already answered it before.. Which amp or chain do you use?
    It sounds sweetly scouped.
    Thanks
    I go directly into my computer through a Boss GT 001. I don’t use any amp simulation. I only use a small amount of reverb and although I do not adjust the eq sliders, I turn it on and bump up the volume slider just to make the guitar louder. I use the exact same setup on all my recordings for the last 6 months.
    I really like the Boss GT001. It’s small, lightweight and it sounds great. And it has an aux Jack for my iPad.
    Thanks,
    Joe D

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Hi Guys,
    Well, I think this guitar is really dialed in and I have completely become comfortable with it. It is a fantastic Guitar.
    I think this Guitar is a perfect instrument for my style. I will eventually change out the pickup. One this this guitar has made crystal clear to me, is the glaring difference between a floater and a set in pickup on an Archtop.
    I ABSOLUTELY can not wait until I get another guitar with a Set in Pickup. Vinny, once again, You are so right.
    But it is clear now, that is what I need to finally close my tool box and say, that is it!

    I really hope you like my video.



    Thanks,
    Joe D

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Very nice playing Joe. The solid formed guitar seems to be very responsive to a light touch. Glad your enjoying it.

    As for floaters vs built-in..,, hard to beat that GIbson Johnny Smith pickup you had in the burst. That guitar made you sound like a recording pro.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Very beautiful playing and arranging Joe.
    Even a small floater like this sound sweet under your picking style.
    I played this solid formed guitar a few years ago and i was shock by the volume and projection of the instrument.
    I dont like floaters two, but i would not make a hole in the guitar? Why not a Floating Paf touching in some way the top to achieve that complex tone of the set pickup?
    I always felt that floating pickup doesnt care about the resonance going on into the guitar and just hears the string... But with a set pickup things completely changes.


    Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    A little bit of beauty in a very dark time. That guitar has its own character with an undercurrent of thunk and sounds just magnificent in your hands. Thanks for sharing, Joe. Ray of sunshine.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Lovely soulful playing, Joe, as we expect from you. No matter what guitar you play, your voice comes through, and that's what we like to hear.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz View Post
    Very beautiful playing and arranging Joe.
    Even a small floater like this sound sweet under your picking style.
    I played this solid formed guitar a few years ago and i was shock by the volume and projection of the instrument.
    I dont like floaters two, but i would not make a hole in the guitar? Why not a Floating Paf touching in some way the top to achieve that complex tone of the set pickup?
    I always felt that floating pickup doesnt care about the resonance going on into the guitar and just hears the string... But with a set pickup things completely changes.
    Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk
    Thank you Gustavo.
    You make great points. Gibson purposely left the pickup on this guitar very wide open. Minimal wax potting. Maybe their intention WAS to make it as microphonic as possible. The result was bad. Perhaps a sealed pickup would not grab much vibration from the body? I don’t know.
    When it’s time, I will contact the wizard, Mr Kent Armstrong and get his opinion and ask him to whip up something for me.
    Thanks again Gustavo.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    A little bit of beauty in a very dark time. That guitar has its own character with an undercurrent of thunk and sounds just magnificent in your hands. Thanks for sharing, Joe. Ray of sunshine.
    Hi Flat.
    Thank you very much. Yes, the song kinda fit the mood of the day. I appreciate buddy. We will get out of this soon. And when we do, it will be glorious. We will learn what is really important. And when our freedom comes back, we will use it more carefully. It’s gonna be a better life as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Lovely soulful playing, Joe, as we expect from you. No matter what guitar you play, your voice comes through, and that's what we like to hear.
    Rob, you will always be my guy. You set the set the standard for class with your videos. I hope I can make half smiles you’ve made. Thanks man.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    The BJB pickup sounds good to me. Maybe it's a little compressed compared to a PAF, but it's very good.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    MG, believe it or not, this guitar has a “JSmith” pickup in it, not a BJB. Very different than the BJB on my 165. And light years different than the real Johnny Smith pickup I had on my Johnny Smith.
    If this guitar had either one of those pickups on it, I’d be singing a different tune about it. This pickup is balanced, clear and weak. The way it came brand new - It was extremely microphonic, in a bad way. Poorly wired, voltage bouncing all over the place noises, radio stations.. A mess. A small amount of wax trying to create a barrier between the copper windings and the STEEL plate that covers the back.. the pickup was an absolute joke.
    I hope Gibson gets there stuff together. They let it go. And quite frankly, with retail price of $7,000 and Sam Ash paid $3,500 for it.. Sam Ash should have gone over the guitar before they sold it.
    Remember the good old days when the dealer set up your guitar for you? And made sure it was perfect before it left the store? Well, that doesn’t happen anymore and that is just as much of the problem as Gibson is. If not more. Rant over.
    Joe D

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Joe this was a delight to listen to. You make that guitar sound wonderful. Whether or not you change out the pickup, YOU are the best thing that ever happened to that guitar.

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Joe, you did it again! Another beautiful chord melody--a perfect way to begin another day under "virus" house arrest. The guitar has a crisp bright tone on the higher notes and a full deep resonance on the lower ones. This, coupled with your smooth arrangement, makes for a totally enjoyable listening experience.

    Thanks for posting.

    Tony D.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Aww thanks Lawson. The tech at Sam Ash Springfield NJ actually deserves all the credit.
    Brian made this guitar into a gem.
    This guitar was sold from a Sam Ash store in Cali via mail order. It was returned to a store in Atlanta because it was a piece of shit. Then, It sat in the Atlanta store for 4 years!! Unsold as a new guitar with a price of $6,999. After Gibson allowed Sam Ash to Mark it down to $3,000 (only if it was listed as used), I bought it. That s when the NJ Sam Ash and it’s Superstar tech Brian got involved and made it into a beautiful guitar.
    Honestly if I bought this guitar for $7,000 I would have returned it in 3 seconds.
    JD

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    Joe, you did it again! Another beautiful chord melody--a perfect way to begin another day under "virus" house arrest. The guitar has a crisp bright tone on the higher notes and a full deep resonance on the lower ones. This, coupled with your smooth arrangement, makes for a totally enjoyable listening experience.
    Thanks for posting.
    Tony D.
    Tony my man..
    thank you brother. The guitar is a good one now for sure. I hope to keep it for a really long time, but you never know with me. I change my mind like I change the way I make Bolognese sauce so, who knows.. but I appreciate your beautiful words as usual. I hope you are still feeling good Tony.
    Grab the Johnny Smith “Easy Listening” album and listen to this song. I tried to replicate it exactly the way he did it, minus a couple of differences that my talent as a transposer and my bad memory would be incapable of. This is Johnny arrangement. I learned it by ear.
    Thanks buddy.

    JD

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Frankly I don’t like any pickup that doesn’t have adjustable pole screws including the BJB. Pole screws are even a bigger must on a fixed floater. That J.Smith pu is not the real thing regardless of the sticker on the back. Sounds great on this recording though.

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    Its funny..
    I have a connection with Johnny. Joe Pass too.
    Sometimes I come upon a part of a song where the chord is beyond me. I just can’t figure it out. Then something tells me, “try this”. And I try it. And bang, that’s exactly it!
    Now I can’t sit there and do this for the whole song.. they both make me work. And they make me practice the stuff regularly or when I forget the songs they don’t help me learn it back again!
    But they are in my soul and they are grateful I make sure everyone doesn’t forget their greatness.
    Thanks Tony

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Frankly I don’t like any pickup that doesn’t have adjustable pole screws including the BJB. Pole screws are even a bigger must on a fixed floater. That J.Smith pu is not the real thing regardless of the sticker on the back. Sounds great on this recording though.
    You ain’t kidding bro.
    Here’s a picture of it so if anybody has one on there new guitars, send it back. It’s crap.

    57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be.
    I attached 2 pictures. 1 so you can see the whole pickup. The other so you can see the great job my guy Brian does on my guitars. Superb workmanship.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-bda58814-02da-4e89-a46a-50c177edfbff-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-69510447-93a3-4d17-93cb-f53d1886669a-jpg 

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    You ain’t kidding bro.
    Here’s a picture of it so if anybody has one on there new guitars, send it back. It’s crap.

    57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be.
    I attached 2 pictures. 1 so you can see the whole pickup. The other so you can see the great job my guy Brian does on my guitars. Superb workmanship.
    I know it's everyone's favorite pickup to hate on, but yeah, I"m a huge 57 Classic fan as well. It sounds different in every guitar I have one in, which makes me think it is good at rendering the sound of that guitar, albeit as an electric. But the L5ces still sounds different from the ES1785 VOS 1959 which also sounds different from the ES175 Figured...

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    "57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be".

    A man after my own heart!

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Until I try the MHS Humbucker, which still can't be bought anywhere...

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Hi Lawson
    I have had MHS pickups on Es 275"s and other Gibsons, they're ok
    but not as good as '57's IMO which i have on a L5CT. a Byrdland
    and a Tal Farlow, they were standard on my L5CES and Wesmo
    which unfortunately I no longer have. When a Campellone that I
    have on order, is built ,it will have a Kent Armstrong pickup
    as recommended by good friends & including Mark Campellone

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    I am a big fan of the 57 classic. I also am a fan of the Kent Armstrong handmade PAF's, the Gibson MHS, the Gibson 490R and the Duncan 59's. Then there are the Shaw humbuckers and pre-T-top PUPs that Gibson made in years past, which are generally superb. Some DiMarzio PUPs sound great as well.

    I have been less than impressed with Gibson Burstbuckers and Benedetto A-6 pickups.

    If I was looking to buy a humbucker for a guitar, it would probably be a 57 classic.

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Frankly I don’t like any pickup that doesn’t have adjustable pole screws including the BJB. Pole screws are even a bigger must on a fixed floater. That J.Smith pu is not the real thing regardless of the sticker on the back. Sounds great on this recording though.
    can't say for sure since I don't actually know, but I might be leaning this way. I have a lovely sounding Kent Armstrong floater (USA) and though I prefer the aesthetics of it, I kinda wish I could even out the skinny string, which sometimes seems a little pokey to me. It's not annoying enough to actually do something about it, but it did bug me on occasion. Keep in mind I'm just a strum champion. It might be voiced just right for you lovely people.

    As for Joe, I'm not entirely convinced you need a new guitar, dude. You're getting by OK. and there is something to be said for having a unique thing going. Can be quite the asset, really.

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Feet you nailed it.
    Different is good and exactly why I am keeping this guitar. It’s uniquely good. And I really do like it.
    But there is one more. Finally, I think my future as far as guitars go is completely set. No more deviation.

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Joe,

    Beautiful. I've been playing that chart for years and love it. However, I don't nearly do justice to it the way you do. Nice.

    The Solid Formed sounds great, too. Don't give it any rest. I agree with Lawson--you are the best thing that's ever happened to it.