The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 144 of 144

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson, Thank you sir. I always appreciate your beautiful words. You are a gentleman.
    Take this from where it comes..
    We all "write" our arrangements from stuff we've heard. I remember when I was maybe 22 yrs old, I played in an italian band and we were writing songs for an upcoming San Remo music festival. So I had this rif in my head. It was great. So I get to rehearsal and I tell the guys, I came up with this riff and Sal needs to come up with some italian lyrics for it. So I plugged in, turned up the volume and played it.. The Bass player, Vito, started laughing.. He said, Joe, thats Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. I said wtf you talking about, I just came up with this.. So he goes out to the car and gets a Cassette, plugs it in, plays it. Low and behold, it was EXACTLY what I was playing!.
    So the joke went on for years. "yeah, Joe wrote Crazy Train".. The fact of the matter is, I probably heard it on the radio once and it stuck. I honestly thought I did write it..
    I came up with this chord melody about 2 years ago. I may have heard it or seen it somewhere, but to me, I picked up guitar a couple of years ago, and played what I heard in my head. So unless I write a song from scratch, I never say its my arrangement. And even when I do "come up" with something from scratch, who knows what it could be! We all draw from what we've heard..
    Thanks Lawson.
    PS, I hope to God that I get good tone out of my L5 when I get it. If not, Im gonna be the laughing stock of the forum!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Lovely my friend! The video captures the wind gently caressing the leaves in the backgound adding to that floating feeling and smooth movement in the tune. I missed this yesterday, but pleasantly surprised this morning by it. Keep it up. And, I'm glad that you spend most of your time doing what you love most brother! I've always found golf to be terribly frustrating, but I play it once a year with my brothers if I can. Guitar, and these old tunes. I play every day that i can, and though it can be frustrating too, it takes less effort. It's all good! Keep enjoying every day. And don't stop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Lawson, Thank you sir. I always appreciate your beautiful words. You are a gentleman.
    Take this from where it comes..
    We all "write" our arrangements from stuff we've heard. I remember when I was maybe 22 yrs old, I played in an italian band and we were writing songs for an upcoming San Remo music festival. So I had this rif in my head. It was great. So I get to rehearsal and I tell the guys, I came up with this riff and Sal needs to come up with some italian lyrics for it. So I plugged in, turned up the volume and played it.. The Bass player, Vito, started laughing.. He said, Joe, thats Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. I said wtf you talking about, I just came up with this.. So he goes out to the car and gets a Cassette, plugs it in, plays it. Low and behold, it was EXACTLY what I was playing!.
    So the joke went on for years. "yeah, Joe wrote Crazy Train".. The fact of the matter is, I probably heard it on the radio once and it stuck. I honestly thought I did write it..
    I came up with this chord melody about 2 years ago. I may have heard it or seen it somewhere, but to me, I picked up guitar a couple of years ago, and played what I heard in my head. So unless I write a song from scratch, I never say its my arrangement. And even when I do "come up" with something from scratch, who knows what it could be! We all draw from what we've heard..
    Thanks Lawson.
    PS, I hope to God that I get good tone out of my L5 when I get it. If not, Im gonna be the laughing stock of the forum!
    Totally cool. I guess what I meant was "is this one of your amazing transcriptions of Joe Pass or Johnny Smith or something you've developed (from whatever sources)"

Still amazing and you are of course right, most of the stuff banging around in our heads got there from somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Joe,
    Lovely my friend! The video captures the wind gently caressing the leaves in the backgound adding to that floating feeling and smooth movement in the tune. I missed this yesterday, but pleasantly surprised this morning by it. Keep it up. And, I'm glad that you spend most of your time doing what you love most brother! I've always found golf to be terribly frustrating, but I play it once a year with my brothers if I can. Guitar, and these old tunes. I play every day that i can, and though it can be frustrating too, it takes less effort. It's all good! Keep enjoying every day. And don't stop.
    Thank You Steve.
    You know, The Playing takes no effort at all. Recording, thats another story!
    No exaggeration. I played this song perfectly and decided to record it. So I plug everything in, get the settings right (camera focus, Exposure, Angles..) and start recording. For some reason, I suck now and cant get through the arrangement without making an abomination of it.. So 8 takes later, I get a good one. I start wrapping up all the wires and putting everything away and realize I forgot to Set the sound source to Boss GT_001 Primary 3. So I plug everthing back in, refocus, adjust settings and throw a tantrum. 6 more takes and get a perfect one. Then, I take everthing apart (again), wipe down the guitar and put it away. Grab the laptop and now, I have a perfect take (I even had harmonics in the end) with absolutely no sound. So I put everything back together (again) and start recording. On the 4th take, I look down and I realize the reason I had no sound was the wire going into the GT_001 pulled out. So I pushed it in, do 2 more takes and FINALLY, I am done. Well not really, because now I have to edit!
    It really is a lot of work. But I love it, so what can I do!
    thanks Sky.
    JD

User Info Menu

You might have gotten the first eight from Johnny Smith's album "Guitar With Strings", because he opens it up playing solo rubato chord melody on it, but then the strings take the rest of it, and he plays single line, so the rest of it is yours.
    Great job, as usual.

EXCELLENT!! I can tell you maybe studied the Johnny Smith 3 octave arp book long ago! Great sounding instrument and clever arrangement!!

User Info Menu

Sounds fantastic. How does the guitar compare to some of the amazing instruments you've owned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    You might have gotten the first eight from Johnny Smith's album "Guitar With Strings", because he opens it up playing solo rubato chord melody on it, but then the strings take the rest of it, and he plays single line, so the rest of it is yours.
    Great job, as usual.
    Sgcim, I have alot of JS albums, the Roost sessions Box set, "Johnny Smith" and the LEGENDS album. I dont have that one. So I listened to it on YouTube this morn. That was a tasteful and mere mortal-like performance. I am not sure I ever heard that one. Nontheless, thanks for jumping on SG. I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Joe
    From the first note this vid and playing was different. I read your post about what you did that day before the recording, and all I could find that stood out was the Kona.
    I don't know if someone told you a joke or spiked that Kona, but we need to bottle that and repeat it.
    There's something extra there and man that was nice to hear !
    Take care Joe.
    Dennis
    Dennis, Yeah maybe the Kona did the trick! It was the 1st time I had Kona. Probably not the last. I am not a Kona expert. But It tasted very nutty. Like Brazil nuts. I only bought the small bag from Peets. But it was fresh. Different. 8 scoops, 20 Oz water (boiling) and I left it in the French Press 6-1/2 min. It was good. Not outstanding. A little different. My favorites are Ethiopian Sidama and Arabian Mocha Sanani. Jamaica Blue Mountain was OK too. I know Single Origin is the only way to truely judge coffee, but my ALL-Time favorite coffee, hands down is Casi Cielo. Hands down.
    Thank you buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hi Jack, Thanks buddy.
    This guitar is very different. Which is good because you don't want them all sounding the same. I think that makes it a keeper. It is very responsive. And it is very balanced. Almost like there is a limiter built into wood (which I know is not possible). But to my ears, acoustically, its the best guitar I've had, next to the 1936 D'Angelico which was in a another world. The D'A was smoother. Back to the Solid Formed - Amplified, the more I understand it, I think the pickup is actually a perfect match for this guitar. Not overly powerful. But really clear. Gibson should recieve credit for that. Even though the pickup was a mess when I got the guitar as New Old Stock.
    As you know better than anybody, the playability of a guitar can only be maximized by having a great Tech work on it. Honestly, I wouldn't even own this guitar if it wasnt for Brian at SamAsh in Springfield NJ. This guy doesnt even know just how good he is. He made this guitar a Gem. It will be my baby, for a long, long time.
    I think you would absolutely KILL it on this guitar. Its a guitar best played sitting down. Its depth is 3-3/8. That extra 3/8 would make it uncomfortable to play standing up.
    Thanks again.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Funny thing.. it’s been 49 years and I’ve NEVER played the guitar on a porch or even a deck.
    I used to do some outdoor parties with a piano player and for the most part we would usually be asked to setup in a Gazebo. Or on the grass.
    I might try that. It’s a gorgeous day today.
    Joe D

Excellent!! AS USUAL!! Does the word TASSATURA mean the full range of an instrument? Because its GREAT that you do that so WELL!!!

User Info Menu

Hi Steve,
    Thank you sir. I appreciate it.
    Im not too sure about the word. Honestly I never heard the term used.
    I appreciate what you said. Now if I could only get some harp harmonics out of my playing, I will be really happy!
    Im gonna practice that a lot over the upcoming months. Lets see.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    .... Now if I could only get some harp harmonics out of my playing, I will be really happy!
    Im gonna practice that a lot over the upcoming months. Lets see.
    Joe D
    Joe,

do you mean harp harmonics into your playing? Or removed from it?
    Please explain. You're not talking about bell tones are you? Or are you talking about unwanted overtones?

Thanks,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Sorry Sky.
    I LOVE the kind of harmonics (and every thing else for that matter) that the GREAT Tommy Emmanuel gets when he plays. I sit there in amazement when I watch him pull them off effortlessly. I mentioned that to Steve because he was a student of Mike Elliot who played them wonderfully as well.
    Being self taught for the most part, I figured the only way I’m going to be able to play them is to play NOTHING but Harp Harmonics for about a month. Then I will have them down. But then I won’t be able to pick anymore!
    JD

User Info Menu

Got it! You're gonna be a star! I watch that and think only the best guitar players in the world can do that! Perseverance plays off! Keep it up Joe.
    Thanks for explaining. I'm a little slow some days.

User Info Menu

Naaa, your good bro.
    I just like sound of the harp. And the vibes too..
    I’ll probably suck at and give up in like 15 minutes...
    JD

User Info Menu

Study Doyle Dykes, Lenny Breau, Jack Wilkins, Tuck Andress, and of course Tal Farlow. They all take a different approach.
    False harmonics sound Angelic. Doyle Dykes can do it without the required fret spacing.

User Info Menu

Thanks bro.
    I tried it tonight. Came a long way in a short time. We shall see. Tommy Emmanuel is wonderful too.
    Used a finger pick. I’ll try the pick between the thumb and middle finger next.