The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 144

User Info Menu

Absolutely love those arpeggio's JD! Killer stuff!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The tone and playing are really excellent! I think the younger players should check out Johnny Smith and Mike Elliot for examples of this wonderful style!

Contrary motion where one line goes up while the other descends is a very good technique to spice up chord melody arrangements.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    The tone and playing are really excellent! I think the younger players should check out Johnny Smith and Mike Elliot for examples of this wonderful style!
    Thank you Steve. I agree on the Johnny Smith statement and once again thank you for turning me onto Mike Elliot. His playing is extraordinary. I love his rhythm. His spacing. Everything is in place. Technique wise, he was a monster. I am sure a Johnny was very proud of the player he became.
    JD

User Info Menu

I hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by Max405; 06-04-2020 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Joe I love your posts because you are 90% actual playing and just 10% talk. That means a ton to me. I'm on this forum mainly for the playing, hearing other growing guitarists trying their hand at different musical goals, and having a place where I can play for others who can appreciate what I'm doing right and gently let me know what needs attention.

I don't always post a reply because sometimes I put the video on "loop" and if I hit "Reply" the music stops... but I watch every one and really enjoy them.

But I also know how great it is when we post a clip and then have some conversation about it. I'll make sure in the future to speak up because good conversation is a rare thing these days!

User Info Menu

Joe, this is fun. I love the bounce and lilt and the sweetness and sassiness all rolled together. A great piece and a perfect ending to what felt like a very long week for me. Thank you for all the effort. I hope to one day achieve that level of virtuosity on one or more of my tired old pieces. I'm getting stronger each day and may even be able to play a little bit this weekend!

Heartfelt thanks to you, buddy!

Roli

User Info Menu

Joe I continue to be delighted with the tone you get from that guitar. Very transparent, very clean, and you have the technique and style to go with it.

I'm curious-do you find the lines and ideas in the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass performances that you transcribe sneaking into your efforts at improvisation? I find chord-melody "licks" -- you know, neat ways to move voicings over a ii-V-I, transfer really easily for me to other playing. But single note line playing is so much harder to "cross fertilize." I've learned some wonderful bop solos, and I notice I can really "hear" bebop better than ever, but still when I try to improvise those ideas just evaporate.

What's been your experience on that?

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitar and nicely played. I can't play Jazz I just dont have the mind set for it. But I can appreciate the skill level and the sound so can enjoy jazz to listen to.

User Info Menu

Joe, your playing always leave me with a smile on my face and in my soul. This one is no exception. You are an artist in your element!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Joe, this is fun. I love the bounce and lilt and the sweetness and sassiness all rolled together. A great piece and a perfect ending to what felt like a very long week for me. Thank you for all the effort. I hope to one day achieve that level of virtuosity on one or more of my tired old pieces. I'm getting stronger each day and may even be able to play a little bit this weekend!
    Heartfelt thanks to you, buddy!
    Roli
    Hi Roli, I didn’t know you weren’t well. I hope you get back to 100% quick. Glad my little tune gave you some comfort. Get well quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe I continue to be delighted with the tone you get from that guitar. Very transparent, very clean, and you have the technique and style to go with it.
    I'm curious-do you find the lines and ideas in the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass performances that you transcribe sneaking into your efforts at improvisation? I find chord-melody "licks" -- you know, neat ways to move voicings over a ii-V-I, transfer really easily for me to other playing. But single note line playing is so much harder to "cross fertilize." I've learned some wonderful bop solos, and I notice I can really "hear" bebop better than ever, but still when I try to improvise those ideas just evaporate.
    What's been your experience on that?
    I am the wrong one to ask about improvising to Jazz. I don’t hear bop lines over progressions. When I do start improvising, I sound like Al Dimeola. So I don’t even bother. I got away from trying to be something I am not. Not saying you can’t do it. Just improvise by playing Rainey lines and see where it takes you. Trust me buddy, you have nothing to feel bad about. You are out there. And you are doin it. You have proven you can play. Just play what you love. Because if you don’t, you won’t want to do it anymore. And that would be a great loss.
    Thanks Lawson. You are a classy man.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone. I learned a lot on this video. If you notice, the images are nice and dark. I shot with regular basic cheapo Logitech webcams (2 c920’s and one 930 pro). They need ALOT of light to produce dark sharply focused images. But I like my videos to be darker. It makes the more dramatic. I solved the conundrum by learning how to edit videos in GREAT video editor, DaVinci Resolve. Not only am I editing without constant crashes (VideoStudio - garbage) but I found a LUT that darkens the image without changing its clarity AND I’m able to create MP4’s with extraordinary sound. The VideoStudio mp2 rendering (after crash upon crash) were 600megabytes. The MP4 out of DaVinci Resolve is 170megs, rendered in one shot and is 10x better. The reason I rendered mp2’s in VideoStudio is because the mp4 sounded like crap.
    I think I have my workflow locked down now. I am happy.

Now like Qaman says, I focus on my grail guitar and prepare for it to happen.
    Thanks again guys.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I just posted a new Video, featuring the Solid Formed. fast becoming my favorite guitar.
    When a guitar is dialed in, it says the things you want to say. This Guitar is infallible in its ability to project my feelings.
    This is my absolute favorite Dean Martin tune. I hope you like my Video.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone. Nothing wrong with that pu Bro. You got your settings spot on with your recording. Sweet !

User Info Menu

nothin better than a sunday morning Joe D guitar vid...

keep projecting those beautiful feelings bro...(on any guitar!)

cheers

User Info Menu

Bravo! While the guitar may lack "bling", the playing has "bling" , and just the right amount.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing Joe. The guitar sounds wonderful - a real beautiful song.

User Info Menu

Sweet!

Maybe you should add "Gibson Boy" by Tal Farlow to your repertoire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Beautiful tone. Nothing wrong with that pu Bro. You got your settings spot on with your recording. Sweet !
    Hey bro. You actually called a couple of weeks ago. The pickup is breaking in. It is still a low output pickup. But it replicates the guitar sound very nicely. I think I am set on the settings for sure. Thanks bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nothin better than a sunday morning Joe D guitar vid...
    keep projecting those beautiful feelings bro...(on any guitar!)
    cheers
    Thank you Neatomic.
    I had just about the best day a guy could have. I wake up, grind 8 scoops of Kona, into the French press. Play for an hour, record a video. Edit a video, render it and post it on YouTube. Go play Golf with my son. Come back. Have Fettuccine Alfredo and Chicken Parmesan with my family and pickup my IPad and read all these wonderful things my friends say about my video.
    Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Bravo! While the guitar may lack "bling", the playing has "bling" , and just the right amount.
    Thank you SS. The guitar really lacks bling. But it has beautiful wood. Thanks for always being there bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Sweet!
    Maybe you should add "Gibson Boy" by Tal Farlow to your repertoire.
    I am hoping to have a real “laminated” (as opposed to solid) reason to learn that at the end of this year..
    Thank you C.

User Info Menu

Really nice playing and arrange. I could never get a sweet tone like that on that style of pickup. It was a very clean interpretation.
    I dig the sustain on it, even with the ebony bridge... Probably a TOM would be too bright and harsh for this guitar.
    Someone upload a comparison of an L-5 Wes with Tom and Ebony bridge, and i strongly disliked the ebony. But in here and in Campellone i really like them, why? I dont know.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi Gustavo,

Thank you very much. There is a Schatten Volume and Tone knob on this guitar and I roll off the tone quite a bit to get that sound. In my headphones it sounds even less bright than it does on the recording. I am very happy with the sound. I am glad you are too.
    At some point I will get a new bridge-top made for the guitar that compensates for the anomaly in the low E string. But for now, Its OK..

Thank You Sir.

User Info Menu

Just beautiful Joe. Your technique is so clean, the notes just flow. Is that your arrangement or a transcription? Whichever, it is just breath-taking.

I echo also everyone's praise of the tone you're getting from that very unpretentious instrument.

Also-this is a tune I haven't heard done by many players. It was fresh!