The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 144

User Info Menu

Hi Steve,
    You were very lucky to have crossed paths with Mike Elliot. He was an extraordinary player from what I just listened too. The harmonics he played were very precise. His speed, accuracy and tastefulness was really unique. A really wonderful player.
    Not speaking with Johnny while he was alive was really one of my regrets in life. Even though I feel connected to him deeply when I play his stuff, it’s just not the same.
    Thanks for posting and introducing me to Mike Elliot.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I wish I could obtain Mikes chord melody books and that someone would post his great solo album. He was a great player,person, and teacher!
    here you go-

cheers

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I talked to Vinny about this about a week ago.
    I think this pickup is actually sounding better. I did nothing more to it, other than play the crap out of it. Vinny said it is entirely possible for an electronic device to “break in”. Bro, I’m sorry if I am misquoting you. But this pickup is just getting better and better.
    This recording is rendered as a MP-2 file, which uses A different codec that adds NOTHING to the sound. This is as pure sounding as I’ve ever heard one of my recordings. No glassy, “chorus” sound. I am very HAPPY. I wanted to share this with you guys.
    Please tell me what you think.
    JD

Last edited by Max405; 05-15-2020 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

What do I think? A few things.

1. You sound great. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.

2. The recording is pretty damn good, but I would still bet it would sound even better live.

3. Only a Gibson is good enough. But you already knew that. And with videos like this one, you prove it.

Nice work!

User Info Menu

When we discussed this , a day or two ago I said that you would make a terrific job
    of this tune, and you have !! its a wee small hours in the morning song. I've replayed
    it several times, once thru' the Mickey Mouse Macbook speakers, and then through my
    system, the balance, perfect , the highs , bass and chords could not be bettered. Quite
    honestly you don't need a better guitar. This one sounds as good as it gets. Bravo !
    my dear friend, keep 'em coming. I'm happy to switch off TV and listen in tranquility.

User Info Menu

The Gibson BJB pickup is a fine piece of gear, well able to deliver the musical content delivered to it by someone as skilled and musical as Mr. DeNisco.

When I have committed to keeping the factory pickup on a new guitar for a year, at the end of the year I don't change.

Joe, it's more likely that you've found the small changes in your technique you needed to bring out the sound you seek than it is that the pickup itself has changed.

Or more succinctly, "Now you've got it talking, brother!"

User Info Menu

That's wonderful Max. I'd just like to pass on JM's version. I *think* he was playing a later 350T at the time, but of course there's a a lot of sound processing going on.

User Info Menu

Very nice, Joe. Guitar sounds really nice and as usual, your playing is great. I’ve been working on the same song for about a week as Bill Evans version has always been one of my all time favorite ballads. Well done, sir! Can’t wait to hear more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    The Gibson BJB pickup is a fine piece of gear, well able to deliver the musical content delivered to it by someone as skilled and musical as Mr. DeNisco.
    When I have committed to keeping the factory pickup on a new guitar for a year, at the end of the year I don't change.
    Joe, it's more likely that you've found the small changes in your technique you needed to bring out the sound you seek than it is that the pickup itself has changed.
    Or more succinctly, "Now you've got it talking, brother!"
    Hey Buddy. Being a pro yourself, Your opinion really matters to me. And You are probably right in every point you made.
    Ive noticed, because this pickup is not particularly powerful, I raised it closer to the strings, just to get some volume. As a result, I naturally started picking further back toward the bridge. That might account for the brighter nature of the guitar. So I roll down the tone knob. See, its all connected.
    I will probably never own the perfect guitar. That would be a Brand new 1956 Cutaway D'Angelico New Yorker. I'd have to run into Little Italy to pick it up. I would have a taste from the special stash bottle behind John D'Angelico's desk. I would not want to leave. He would pull his fishing poles out and say, "you can stay, but I gotta go.."
    In my dreams, the perfect guitar waits. So close. Yet so far..
    Thank you Sam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's wonderful Max. I'd just like to pass on JM's version. I *think* he was playing a later 350T at the time, but of course there's a a lot of sound processing going on.
    Woody, Thanks buddy. That was a beautiful version indeed. Naturally, I could do without all those effects. But the arrangement is Luscious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Very nice, Joe. Guitar sounds really nice and as usual, your playing is great. I’ve been working on the same song for about a week as Bill Evans version has always been one of my all time favorite ballads. Well done, sir! Can’t wait to hear more.
    Its a beautiful, simple song that would be in my setlist if I had a trio. Some Brushes, a piano and me. That would be beautiful.
    Thank you Esport!

User Info Menu

Very nice playing Joe. If you want to squeeze more tone out of the guitar use a heavier pick. Not sure if your still using the thin picks -but once you go to a fatter pick it’s like an awakening. It took me many years to finally use a heavier pick - especially for my style of straight (un-amplified )acoustic Archtop playing. I know it’s not for everyone - just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing your talents with us........make the album.

User Info Menu

Nice Joe!, This is a favorite tune of mine and I play a tailored version of Jack Wilkins take on this lovely melody.

User Info Menu

I'm Sorry guys. I took a day off from my stuff to pay my respect to RhoadScholar. Still sad though..
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The pinnacle of perfection. Bravo Bro !!! Tone to die for too.
    Hey Bro thanks. This guitar is now everything I could ever need. "Need" and want dont necessarily intersect with one another all the time. Thanks for always being there and bringing clarity and honesty to everything you say. L,J
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Very nice playing Joe. If you want to squeeze more tone out of the guitar use a heavier pick. Not sure if your still using the thin picks -but once you go to a fatter pick it’s like an awakening. It took me many years to finally use a heavier pick - especially for my style of straight (un-amplified )acoustic Archtop playing. I know it’s not for everyone - just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing your talents with us........make the album.
    Thank You QA. You know, you are absolutely right. I am going to try that. Especially once I finish up the gear search and end up exactly where I want to be. The journey is really fun though..
    Thanks Buddy. Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Nice Joe!, This is a favorite tune of mine and I play a tailored version of Jack Wilkins take on this lovely melody.
    Oh boy thats nice!
    Jack Wilkins is one of th most under appreciated players of this style. He really is an incredible player. Extraordinary.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe you sound fantastic!

Like Marco said, you sound great no matter what guitar you have in your hands. That being said, you're getting a great tone out of that guitar. I am biased though of course because A) I love your playing, B) I love Gibson guitars in the hands of great guitar players, and C) I LOVE this song so much.

Obviously you that is a home run in my book, but let's face it. You knocked it out of the park as usual.

User Info Menu

Guys,
    Seriously. You don't have to listen to it, But I just posted another Version of the same song. I got a little creative and I threw in some Pan and Zoom effects (inspired by our man Dutchbopper) and I threw a Reverb filter in during the processing. With a great pair of headphones, This is the best sound I could ever hope to achieve. I will leave them both up for a day and then I will erase the original one. I think its better. Not overdone. Just nicer and better.
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful!

What does that feel like to be hitting on all cylinders and have the magic flow? I'd like to imagine it's mystical.

User Info Menu

MG, Thanks buddy. And I am so sorry to be posting this stuff during such a sad time. I took a day off on Wednesday because I thought it was wrong. It is still sad.
    But I appreciate your post. I know you must be down. And I am glad if it made you forget about life for while..
    "Mystical" is a good characterization. Its great when you just do it and not think about it. I usually settle down right after I pull off a difficult part of the song. But then I start bricking again when I approach the end of the song, because I worry about ruining it. I did that on the Tenderly Medley when I played a bad chord 5 minutes into the recording. I wanted to shoot myself. But I just let it go hoping no one else would notice..
    I remember exactly what I was thinking. I thought, wow, who the hell else would try to play a George Benson and Johnny Smith arrangement back to back of this song, BLANG!! It happened.
    Thanks and stay well.
    And that goes for everybody. Stay Well.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe you certainly bring out the beauty of that guitar. I almost wonder if something about it NOT being the perfect guitar summons something out of you that brings everything up to a higher level. You don't seem intimidated by this guitar. It's a working player's instrument, and you really work it. Sometimes when I play my L5ces I think "I'm not really worthy to be playing this, how pathetic, what a shame... a real musician could really bring out the best..." I let the guitar intimidate me. But when I pick up the Epiphone Broadway I've modded and messed with, I play more inspired.

I"m trying to convince myself I'm good enough for that L5. You play this Solid-Formed like you really and truly do own it, you've earned it, and you know who's in charge of the music.

Crazy sounding I know... I just finished doing my income tax return so I'm not all mentally in place...

User Info Menu

Dig the new video, and the previous version. A little 'verb is nice, gives it a little glow. My own process is to record dry, and add reverb in post-production. Plus there are so many to choose from! It's good to hear and see you play, 'cause you do it with the skills of a Master. Be well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe you certainly bring out the beauty of that guitar. I almost wonder if something about it NOT being the perfect guitar summons something out of you that brings everything up to a higher level. You don't seem intimidated by this guitar. It's a working player's instrument, and you really work it. Sometimes when I play my L5ces I think "I'm not really worthy to be playing this, how pathetic, what a shame... a real musician could really bring out the best..." I let the guitar intimidate me. But when I pick up the Epiphone Broadway I've modded and messed with, I play more inspired.

I"m trying to convince myself I'm good enough for that L5. You play this Solid-Formed like you really and truly do own it, you've earned it, and you know who's in charge of the music.

Crazy sounding I know... I just finished doing my income tax return so I'm not all mentally in place...
    You are VERY mentally in place Lawson. That’s exactly how I felt about my Gibson Johnny Smith. At times, I was never able to dig into it. Other times, I forgot what it was and I just played it. Once I get done “listening to” a guitar, then I can just play it. So I know what you mean.
    You are certainly plenty good enough for that L5. They are professional level guitars. I remember taking my Tal to open mic night at Sam Ash. I always played that guitar respectfully. But about an hour of Mr Magic did something to that guitar that made it open up and come alive. I heard of that and never experienced that before that moment. Tight, professional grade instruments have a threshold of depth that reaches far beyond regular guitars. Once you enter and go deep with it, it’s another world.
    Yeah, and you think YOU are not thinking right.. Jeeze, come back to us Joe..
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Dig the new video, and the previous version. A little 'verb is nice, gives it a little glow. My own process is to record dry, and add reverb in post-production. Plus there are so many to choose from! It's good to hear and see you play, 'cause you do it with the skills of a Master. Be well!
    C74, I’m getting mixed reviews. I think it depends on how you are listening to it.. I think I learned that open backed reference headphones release some of the reverb into a wider sound space, therefore the you miss some of the glow you speak of. Maybe a tad too much on this one. I will try to draw it back a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Woody, Thanks buddy. That was a beautiful version indeed. Naturally, I could do without all those effects. But the arrangement is Luscious.
    Far from being a "dry signal" I think one primary effect was used: A Leslie rotary speaker (with a bit of reverberation).
    Thank you for sharing your recordings. Really enjoyable.

User Info Menu

As usual, you've brightened my day, Joe with another expressive interpretation of a classic love song.

The way I see it, there are essentially three types of guitar players. Type 1 comprises the strummers and singers. They make-up the largest group. They've put some effort into learning a few chords (mostly first position) and then they have a blast singing and playing.

Type 2 guitar players are like me. I took lessons for years. I can read music, I have a repertoire of standard tunes arranged by me in chord-melody style which I add to periodically. I mostly play at home for my own enjoyment. Sometimes I play in an amateur theater company's orchestra. Sometimes I'll practice everyday for months, but then I'll lay off for a short while before I get back to it.

Then there's the Type 3 player--the artist. Who, by dint of their innate musical ability and hours of hard work, convert the ordinary into something beautiful. That's you, Joe. Thanks.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

No, no, no

Type 4 - the copycat. The guy who unlike type 2, doesn’t think enough of his own arrangements so he plays other pieces arranged by his hero’s. Because it takes so damn long to learn and remember the stuff he plays, he’d much rather play them decent so his wife doesn’t throw his guitars in the garbage when he is sleeping.
    That’s me..
    Thank you Tony. I can’t wait till you get your Campellone. A new guitar does wonders for your play time. Not to mention, what else can you do these days...