The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 144

User Info Menu

Nah GT, I’m sure you play it much better than I.
    I’ve been playing the SF for the better part of a month now. So last night I played the 165 for the 1st time I got it back from the Schatten implants and the new pickguard. These 2 guitars compliment each other very well. I missed the accuracy and clarity on the SF. The 165 has TI 12’s and the B and High E strings really suck. Brand new set. Vinny is right again. They need to be swapped out for the Elixir stainless.
    I really like my guitars. I’m content.
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    It’s been a couple of months and I am loving this Gibson.
    In the coming month, I will be switching out the pickup for a handwound Kent Armstrong some day soon. Then this guitar will completely come alive and the process of perfecting it will be finished.
    I hope you like the video.
    No amp. Just the guitar, into a Boss GT-001, no amp simulation, just a little reverb. The tone is turned to about 30% to tame the highs. The cameras are simple webcams, Logitech c920’s and a c930e. The capture and editing was done in VideoStudio Pro. The rendering made the highs a little glassy. I will figure that out.

Thanks, Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 05-03-2020 at 09:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Holy Cow. I'm just destroyed by these lines, chordal ideas, clean tone, perfect execution... man this really kills it.

User Info Menu

beautiful Joe D...some fleet fingered lines right there...and you certainly know how to make a guitar camera friendly...that guitar looks great...shines!!...i can almost see myself in the pickup reflection!!! haha

well done pal, as always

cheers

User Info Menu

I just drove by GB’s house. Several headstocks were sticking out of his trash can.

User Info Menu

Bravo Maestro! Another great arrangement beautifully played Joe; perfect for another day in quarantine!
    The guitar has a very pleasing tone--distinctive and almost organic yet not overpowering.

Thanks for posting.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Superb, on my Bose system the highs are not glassy at all ,the
    bass notes and chords are as clear as a bell. congratulations on a
    beautifully executed piece , Johnny would be proud of you. I'll
    ask Vinny directions to the house and fish out the necks from
    the trash ,GB won't mind for, my S400Superheavymetalthrashercaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Holy Cow. I'm just destroyed by these lines, chordal ideas, clean tone, perfect execution... man this really kills it.
    Thank you Lawson. I remember learning that song when George 1st released it. Some was missing in my original version and that was the drop D. Now, it’s second nature and the guitar just doesn’t sound right without it. Thank you sir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Lovely Joe! Enjoyed it immensely my friend. Thank you!
    Sky, I’m thinking it would have sounded better on an L5P, what do you think?
    Thanks buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Joe, this is beautiful. Thank you, brother.
    Roli
    That is just the kind of song that that the Tal is made for. You are very welcome. The pleasure is absolutely 100% all mine.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    beautiful Joe D...some fleet fingered lines right there...and you certainly know how to make a guitar camera friendly...that guitar looks great...shines!!...i can almost see myself in the pickup reflection!!! haha
    well done pal, as always
    cheers
    N, your right, it’s a photogenic guitar isn’t it? 2015 immaculate. It just hung there for years because it was too expensive and the pickup was crap. There loss is my gain.
    I am getting more comfortable with my setup. Proper lighting and settings make inexpensive cameras do a great job. This computer was my sons Alienware M17x. 6 years old. He’s a chip off the old block. It is immaculate. I added 8gb of ram, added an SSD drive and it’s a brand new computer. It does a great job. I am very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I just drove by GB’s house. Several headstocks were sticking out of his trash can.
    Hahahaa.. bro, you and I both know, like Larry Holmes said about Rocky Marciano.. that’s how George should feel about me.. “Man, dat dude couldn’t carry my jockstrap”.. you remember that bro?
    Unfortunately, everybody hated him after he said that.
    Thanks bro. That was a good one.

User Info Menu

is it a J. Smith pickup, sounds great,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    . I remember learning that song when George 1st released it. Some was missing in my original version and that was the drop D. Now, it’s second nature and the guitar just doesn’t sound right without it...
    Joe D, great that you took to johnnys drop D so well...that was his secret weapon..he was already doing it when he was in the armed forces in wwII!!...where he was a trumpet player in the army band!!!

there's an interview with guitarist lou mecca about meeting johnny in the barracks..and being blown away by his playing..and everytime he'd pass his guitar to mecca, he'd have to tune it back to E!!! haha

johnny used a big heavy 58 flat for the low E/D

proud of ya bud

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Bravo Maestro! Another great arrangement beautifully played Joe; perfect for another day in quarantine!
    The guitar has a very pleasing tone--distinctive and almost organic yet not overpowering.
    Thanks for posting.
    Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Tony D.
    Molto bene graci!
    Thank for always being the class of the class. I like the guitar for exactly the reason you pointed out. It’s different. But Tony, it plays itself. One of the best I’ve ever touched, thanks to the guy who fixes up my guitars. Brian at Sam Ash Springfield is an incredible luthier. He has ventured out on his own, building his own line of guitars, using tools he picked at garage sales and in the garbage. He said,” Joe even though they are solid bodies, I still tap them and remove wood when necessary.”.
    Thanks Tony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marvinvv
    is it a J. Smith pickup, sounds great,
    hahahaa.. yeah but the “J” doesn’t stand for Johnny, that’s for sure. Not on mine anyway.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    Joe D, great that you took to johnnys drop D so well...that was his secret weapon..he was already doing it when he was in the armed forces in wwII!!...where he was a trumpet player in the army band!!!
    there's an interview with guitarist lou mecca about meeting johnny in the barracks..and being blown away by his playing..and everytime he'd pass his guitar to mecca, he'd have to tune it back to E!!! haha
    johnny used a big heavy 58 flat for the low E/D
    proud of ya bud
    cheers
    Aww man, if you find that interview I’d love to see it.
    Thank you brother. Some guitars take to it well and others don’t. This one renders the note crisply, with no rattle or distortion. The Solid Formed concept is a good one as it keeps everything tight, yet allows you to hear every note separately. And it is balanced acoustically much in the same way that my 165 is. Both are loud, but not blow you away loud. And they keep an audible range of frequencies organized very neatly. Nothing out of place.
    Thanks Bro.

Thanks everybody for making this post a great one for me. I appreciate it.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe - that’s was fantastic, one of your best !The mental capacity to remember all those parts and blend the two arrangements requires serious commitment. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe - that’s was fantastic, one of your best !The mental capacity to remember all those parts and blend the two arrangements requires serious commitment. Thanks for sharing.
    QA, I was thinking I had to do an extra special good job after hearing my friend just moved 15 yards of mulch by himself!
    My practice sessions are 1-2 hours a night, 5 nights a week. It’s more brain training than drills. I usually run through 10-15 arrangements out of the roughly 30 or so that I keep in my memory. It took so much to learn them, I don’t want to forget them. For some reason, the Joe Pass stuff is the hardest to remember. I can only remember 3-4 of those. Any more, I’ll need to install a 1TB solid state drive in my head..
    Thanks buddy.

Joe D

User Info Menu

hahahaa.. yeah but the “J” doesn’t stand for Johnny, that’s for sure. Not on mine anyway.
    Thanks.

.And it is balanced acoustically much in the same way that my 165 is. Both are loud, but not blow you away loud. .
    Joe D
    Hi Max, I meant is your pick up the same humbucker like the one J. smith used, and does your ES-165 have the same pickup?

What is your Solid formed Gibson based it like 330 barney Kessel, i see it has dot markers. I looked for some info i could not see much.

User Info Menu

Marvin, if I had to pin it down to a previous model, it would be the L7c.
    The pickup is way different than the one in the 165. The BJB in the 165 is more powerful. It allows for deeper tone, without having to drop the tone setting to 30%. The BJB has probably 35-40% more output, therefore much more to work with.
    The JSmith pickup on the SF came to me with issues. If they are really trying to pass this Pickup off as a Johnny Smith, they are embarrassing themselves. Noises, scratchy and even less volume than it has now. Poorly wired. Current bouncing around in the pickup like mad. It was repaired by the store I bought it from. I could live with it in its current state, but I think the hand wound Kent Armstrong I have will put this guitar on an entirely new level. But if the stock pickup was a real Johnny Smith, this guitar would rival any guitar at any price.
    I hope that helped.
    JD

User Info Menu

Thank you SS. I know I am kinda limited in my creativity, but I try like hell to do justice to the masters’ works.
    I thought it was cool to play these 2 together. Even though, they are radically different, it’s clear to me that George’s version was heavily influenced by Johnnys. It was cool to pay homage to a couple of my masters, in one recording. The guitar is not bad, huh?
    JD
    JD, the guitar sounds great, but in all honesty, any guitar that you play sounds great. It is impressive that you are able to transcribe and learn these amazing renditions. I have rarely been able to memorize an arrangement of the masters all the way through like you do. And whenever I have done so, I have quickly forgotten it. I am pretty much an "ear" player. If I can hear it, I can play it. So I can probably play about 300 tunes solo (in most keys), but they are always executed in a much more simple fashion than the stuff you do, and they are always a bit different each time I play them. Sometimes, it is just OK, sometimes, I never hit it where I had hoped, but sometimes, the magic happens. And that makes it all worthwhile for me.

I look forward to hearing some arrangement of the masters on your next L-5, whenever you get it and whichever model of L-5 you decide on.

User Info Menu

Wonderful.
    One of my favorite songs, and a great one for diving deep and exploring like that!
    Sounds great, guitar and recording. Love the transcendent legato eye roll @ 2:05!

User Info Menu

Hahahaaa..
    I do that every time I play it. It kinda goes with the line I am playing.
    Thank you Paul.
    JD

I once talked to Mr. Smith on the phone after I bought one of his signature Gibsons and he was very nice to talk to. I got to study his method in Nashville with the Great Mike Elliot !!!

I wish I could obtain Mikes chord melody books and that someone would post his great solo album. He was a great player,person, and teacher!