The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 144

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Joe: sorry if you already answered it before.. Which amp or chain do you use?
    It sounds sweetly scouped.
    Thanks
    I go directly into my computer through a Boss GT 001. I don’t use any amp simulation. I only use a small amount of reverb and although I do not adjust the eq sliders, I turn it on and bump up the volume slider just to make the guitar louder. I use the exact same setup on all my recordings for the last 6 months.
    I really like the Boss GT001. It’s small, lightweight and it sounds great. And it has an aux Jack for my iPad.
    Thanks,
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Well, I think this guitar is really dialed in and I have completely become comfortable with it. It is a fantastic Guitar.
    I think this Guitar is a perfect instrument for my style. I will eventually change out the pickup. One this this guitar has made crystal clear to me, is the glaring difference between a floater and a set in pickup on an Archtop.
    I ABSOLUTELY can not wait until I get another guitar with a Set in Pickup. Vinny, once again, You are so right.
    But it is clear now, that is what I need to finally close my tool box and say, that is it!

I really hope you like my video.

Thanks,
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Very nice playing Joe. The solid formed guitar seems to be very responsive to a light touch. Glad your enjoying it.

As for floaters vs built-in..,, hard to beat that GIbson Johnny Smith pickup you had in the burst. That guitar made you sound like a recording pro.

User Info Menu

Very beautiful playing and arranging Joe.
    Even a small floater like this sound sweet under your picking style.
    I played this solid formed guitar a few years ago and i was shock by the volume and projection of the instrument.
    I dont like floaters two, but i would not make a hole in the guitar? Why not a Floating Paf touching in some way the top to achieve that complex tone of the set pickup?
    I always felt that floating pickup doesnt care about the resonance going on into the guitar and just hears the string... But with a set pickup things completely changes.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A little bit of beauty in a very dark time. That guitar has its own character with an undercurrent of thunk and sounds just magnificent in your hands. Thanks for sharing, Joe. Ray of sunshine.

User Info Menu

Lovely soulful playing, Joe, as we expect from you. No matter what guitar you play, your voice comes through, and that's what we like to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Very beautiful playing and arranging Joe.
    Even a small floater like this sound sweet under your picking style.
    I played this solid formed guitar a few years ago and i was shock by the volume and projection of the instrument.
    I dont like floaters two, but i would not make a hole in the guitar? Why not a Floating Paf touching in some way the top to achieve that complex tone of the set pickup?
    I always felt that floating pickup doesnt care about the resonance going on into the guitar and just hears the string... But with a set pickup things completely changes.
    Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk
    Thank you Gustavo.
    You make great points. Gibson purposely left the pickup on this guitar very wide open. Minimal wax potting. Maybe their intention WAS to make it as microphonic as possible. The result was bad. Perhaps a sealed pickup would not grab much vibration from the body? I don’t know.
    When it’s time, I will contact the wizard, Mr Kent Armstrong and get his opinion and ask him to whip up something for me.
    Thanks again Gustavo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    A little bit of beauty in a very dark time. That guitar has its own character with an undercurrent of thunk and sounds just magnificent in your hands. Thanks for sharing, Joe. Ray of sunshine.
    Hi Flat.
    Thank you very much. Yes, the song kinda fit the mood of the day. I appreciate buddy. We will get out of this soon. And when we do, it will be glorious. We will learn what is really important. And when our freedom comes back, we will use it more carefully. It’s gonna be a better life as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Lovely soulful playing, Joe, as we expect from you. No matter what guitar you play, your voice comes through, and that's what we like to hear.
    Rob, you will always be my guy. You set the set the standard for class with your videos. I hope I can make half smiles you’ve made. Thanks man.

User Info Menu

The BJB pickup sounds good to me. Maybe it's a little compressed compared to a PAF, but it's very good.

User Info Menu

MG, believe it or not, this guitar has a “JSmith” pickup in it, not a BJB. Very different than the BJB on my 165. And light years different than the real Johnny Smith pickup I had on my Johnny Smith.
    If this guitar had either one of those pickups on it, I’d be singing a different tune about it. This pickup is balanced, clear and weak. The way it came brand new - It was extremely microphonic, in a bad way. Poorly wired, voltage bouncing all over the place noises, radio stations.. A mess. A small amount of wax trying to create a barrier between the copper windings and the STEEL plate that covers the back.. the pickup was an absolute joke.
    I hope Gibson gets there stuff together. They let it go. And quite frankly, with retail price of $7,000 and Sam Ash paid $3,500 for it.. Sam Ash should have gone over the guitar before they sold it.
    Remember the good old days when the dealer set up your guitar for you? And made sure it was perfect before it left the store? Well, that doesn’t happen anymore and that is just as much of the problem as Gibson is. If not more. Rant over.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe this was a delight to listen to. You make that guitar sound wonderful. Whether or not you change out the pickup, YOU are the best thing that ever happened to that guitar.

User Info Menu

Joe, you did it again! Another beautiful chord melody--a perfect way to begin another day under "virus" house arrest. The guitar has a crisp bright tone on the higher notes and a full deep resonance on the lower ones. This, coupled with your smooth arrangement, makes for a totally enjoyable listening experience.

Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Aww thanks Lawson. The tech at Sam Ash Springfield NJ actually deserves all the credit.
    Brian made this guitar into a gem.
    This guitar was sold from a Sam Ash store in Cali via mail order. It was returned to a store in Atlanta because it was a piece of shit. Then, It sat in the Atlanta store for 4 years!! Unsold as a new guitar with a price of $6,999. After Gibson allowed Sam Ash to Mark it down to $3,000 (only if it was listed as used), I bought it. That s when the NJ Sam Ash and it’s Superstar tech Brian got involved and made it into a beautiful guitar.
    Honestly if I bought this guitar for $7,000 I would have returned it in 3 seconds.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Joe, you did it again! Another beautiful chord melody--a perfect way to begin another day under "virus" house arrest. The guitar has a crisp bright tone on the higher notes and a full deep resonance on the lower ones. This, coupled with your smooth arrangement, makes for a totally enjoyable listening experience.
    Thanks for posting.
    Tony D.
    Tony my man..
    thank you brother. The guitar is a good one now for sure. I hope to keep it for a really long time, but you never know with me. I change my mind like I change the way I make Bolognese sauce so, who knows.. but I appreciate your beautiful words as usual. I hope you are still feeling good Tony.
    Grab the Johnny Smith “Easy Listening” album and listen to this song. I tried to replicate it exactly the way he did it, minus a couple of differences that my talent as a transposer and my bad memory would be incapable of. This is Johnny arrangement. I learned it by ear.
    Thanks buddy.

JD

User Info Menu

Frankly I don’t like any pickup that doesn’t have adjustable pole screws including the BJB. Pole screws are even a bigger must on a fixed floater. That J.Smith pu is not the real thing regardless of the sticker on the back. Sounds great on this recording though.

User Info Menu

Its funny..
    I have a connection with Johnny. Joe Pass too.
    Sometimes I come upon a part of a song where the chord is beyond me. I just can’t figure it out. Then something tells me, “try this”. And I try it. And bang, that’s exactly it!
    Now I can’t sit there and do this for the whole song.. they both make me work. And they make me practice the stuff regularly or when I forget the songs they don’t help me learn it back again!
    But they are in my soul and they are grateful I make sure everyone doesn’t forget their greatness.
    Thanks Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Frankly I don’t like any pickup that doesn’t have adjustable pole screws including the BJB. Pole screws are even a bigger must on a fixed floater. That J.Smith pu is not the real thing regardless of the sticker on the back. Sounds great on this recording though.
    You ain’t kidding bro.
    Here’s a picture of it so if anybody has one on there new guitars, send it back. It’s crap.

57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be.
    I attached 2 pictures. 1 so you can see the whole pickup. The other so you can see the great job my guy Brian does on my guitars. Superb workmanship.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-bda58814-02da-4e89-a46a-50c177edfbff-jpg Gibson Solid Formed - Sunrise Tea Burst-69510447-93a3-4d17-93cb-f53d1886669a-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    You ain’t kidding bro.
    Here’s a picture of it so if anybody has one on there new guitars, send it back. It’s crap.

57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be.
    I attached 2 pictures. 1 so you can see the whole pickup. The other so you can see the great job my guy Brian does on my guitars. Superb workmanship.
    I know it's everyone's favorite pickup to hate on, but yeah, I"m a huge 57 Classic fan as well. It sounds different in every guitar I have one in, which makes me think it is good at rendering the sound of that guitar, albeit as an electric. But the L5ces still sounds different from the ES1785 VOS 1959 which also sounds different from the ES175 Figured...

User Info Menu

"57 Classics are my pickup. Always will be".

A man after my own heart!

User Info Menu

Until I try the MHS Humbucker, which still can't be bought anywhere...

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson
    I have had MHS pickups on Es 275"s and other Gibsons, they're ok
    but not as good as '57's IMO which i have on a L5CT. a Byrdland
    and a Tal Farlow, they were standard on my L5CES and Wesmo
    which unfortunately I no longer have. When a Campellone that I
    have on order, is built ,it will have a Kent Armstrong pickup
    as recommended by good friends & including Mark Campellone

User Info Menu

I am a big fan of the 57 classic. I also am a fan of the Kent Armstrong handmade PAF's, the Gibson MHS, the Gibson 490R and the Duncan 59's. Then there are the Shaw humbuckers and pre-T-top PUPs that Gibson made in years past, which are generally superb. Some DiMarzio PUPs sound great as well.

I have been less than impressed with Gibson Burstbuckers and Benedetto A-6 pickups.

If I was looking to buy a humbucker for a guitar, it would probably be a 57 classic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    can't say for sure since I don't actually know, but I might be leaning this way. I have a lovely sounding Kent Armstrong floater (USA) and though I prefer the aesthetics of it, I kinda wish I could even out the skinny string, which sometimes seems a little pokey to me. It's not annoying enough to actually do something about it, but it did bug me on occasion. Keep in mind I'm just a strum champion. It might be voiced just right for you lovely people.

As for Joe, I'm not entirely convinced you need a new guitar, dude. You're getting by OK. and there is something to be said for having a unique thing going. Can be quite the asset, really.

User Info Menu

Feet you nailed it.
    Different is good and exactly why I am keeping this guitar. It’s uniquely good. And I really do like it.
    But there is one more. Finally, I think my future as far as guitars go is completely set. No more deviation.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Beautiful. I've been playing that chart for years and love it. However, I don't nearly do justice to it the way you do. Nice.

The Solid Formed sounds great, too. Don't give it any rest. I agree with Lawson--you are the best thing that's ever happened to it.