User Info Menu

Hi friends.
    I'm considering buying x 500 1992.
    I know that vintage 70 year models are good sounding.is it any difference at sound between 92 and 70 or 60 models?thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

every guitar is different regardless of year made, but a 1960 model came w/single coil pickups/
    later models had humbuckers, those will make a difference

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I think the real question is does the 1992 X500 have the original full sized HB1 pickups that were a hallmark of the Guild sound!
    Jimmy D'Aquisto, Jim Hall, and Emily Remler were fans of this pickup, and I'm guessing a 1992 X500 would have them, but you'd have to research that. Here's a link for you:

Guild Full-Sized HB1 and SD1 Pickup Variations | GAD's Ramblings

User Info Menu

A 1992 X-500 should have Guild HB-1s, unless they've been changed by a previous owner. It was later, around 1996 or '97 that SD-1s, then Fender self-made pickups started to be installed.

An X-500 from the '90s might be a bit more heavily built than one from the '70s. This might mean its a bit quieter acoustically, but shouldn't really affect the electric tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    A 1992 X-500 should have Guild HB-1s, unless they've been changed by a previous owner. It was later, around 1996 or '97 that SD-1s, then Fender self-made pickups started to be installed.

An X-500 from the '90s might be a bit more heavily built than one from the '70s. This might mean its a bit quieter acoustically, but shouldn't really affect the electric tone.
    The author of the article in the link I posed thought the SD pickups made for Guild (after Guild discontinued pickup production) were not the bad (SD1), but he did not care for the Fender made pickups (HB1) of the late 90's. He provides details on how to tell them apart.