The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Let's say someone really wished that they had ordered a guitar from Bob while he was building in Stroudsburg Pa.
    Coulda shoulda woulda.

Now, being unable to find a suitable used model of that era, what would be your plan B?

A Benedetto from the current shop? An order with John Buscarino? Or something else?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I cherish my 1990 Bob built Cremona it's my working instrument. It took me several years to find her, and when I did the timing was perfect-I had been saving for a new car and and had the cash in the bank. I opted to drive my current vehicle longer and cleaned out my savings account-worth every penny and a total no-brainer.

I'm not sure what you mean by suitable, there are a couple of his guitars on Reverb from that era. Yes, the prices are breathtaking. However, my guess is you would have a similar amount into a new build by Buscarino or the Benedetto shop. The advantage with that plan is you could order up exactly what you want. In my years of searching, I played as many Benedettos as possible-not a easy task, required some plane flights, etc. One thing I learned-not all of Bob's instruments from that era are created equal. I'm sure you are aware of this.

Best of luck on your search. My BC brings me such joy every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images Benedetto plan B-bspring-jpg 

User Info Menu

I would imagine the new models are still quite nice...
    Look into a Holst for a fraction of the price of a Ben/Busc!

User Info Menu

So as in anything we all love to imagine or dream about the Holy Grail. In other words a magical thing of greatness,which is also chased by those in the know.

No doubt some of Benedetto's guitars are probably wonderful instruments. And while I admire his designs and loved the Bambino Std I unfortunately sold.
    I really don't care for thinner tops and backs,that are his trademark design

I will say that John Buscarino Artisan probably was my favorite carved top acoustically. Bill Comins makes another great archtop. Ted Megas as well.
    For my taste which leans more Gibson J.S. I am very happy with my Franz Elferink Tonemaster. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Mark Campellone as well in this camp as well.

User Info Menu

As Bob has retired, if I were in the market for a bespoke archtop today (also considering that Gibson is for all intents and purposes out of that game), I would be considering the following makers:

John Buscarino
    Roger Borys
    Brent Trenier
    Mark Campellone

I think John Monteleone is close to the end of his production (and his prices as of late are absurdly high) which is why he is not on that list.

Howard Paul's Benedettos have always underwhelmed me at their price point new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Let's say someone really wished that they had ordered a guitar from Bob while he was building in Stroudsburg Pa.
    Coulda shoulda woulda.

Now, being unable to find a suitable used model of that era, what would be your plan B?

A Benedetto from the current shop? An order with John Buscarino? Or something else?
    Wengr,
    I presume you have an interest in obtaining a Benedetto. I have owned two Benedetto’s from the Stroudsburg period and currently have a near mint Fratello from the Nashville custom shop period. The later of which I acquired from the original owner who purchased it at a Napa Valley guitar show, where Bob used this particular guitar to showcase the introduction of his licensing agreement between Fender and Benedetto.

This particular guitar has Bobs DNA all over it and is by far one of the best Benedetto’s I’ve played. Bob was very much involved with building approx 50 guitars at the Nashville custom shop, before production was moved to Corona. In fact. Mark Piper and Mr Evans were building these with Bob ....and later Bob asked them to move to Savannah to help with the current Benedetto guitar venture. This was confirmed by Mark Piper.

If you can find a Nashville built Benedetto
    grab it- they are fantastic guitars. The serial numbers contain letter N.

As for mine , I’m not playing it and may want to sell - but I know I’m likely never going to find another one.

If you have an interest send me a PM.

Here are a few pics

Last edited by QAman; 02-26-2020 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I would agree with SS on the picks although Mark Campellone is the standout. He makes great guitars and his prices are fair. I might add another name Steve Anderson in the Seattle area. Makes a nice guitar seems to not be caught in name finding. I would also say you probably cannot go wrong on an L5. QAman's Benny of course would be fine and you will not find a better person to deal with in the market. My guess is that Benny he has plays like a dream on those guitars the necks are superb and scale length is 25 inches, which is probably the best in my opinion.

User Info Menu

The good thing is there are so many good choices! The bad thing is there are so many choices!

User Info Menu

There is a shop in Cincinnati that has a few Benedettos. It is DHR Guitars. DHR Guitar Experience - Cincinnati's Premier Guitar Shop | Custom, Rare, Vintage |
    Also, Gary Mortoro, builds guitars in the Benedetto method and was personally mentored by him. I have one of Gary's guitars that he built for GB. There are a couple of his Starling (II Storno)'s on Reverb and very reasonable and beautiful.
    Benedetto plan B-fullsizerender-jpg

User Info Menu

Either John Buscarino (North Carolina) or Bill Comins (Pennsylvania) is who I would recommend that you contact given your goals. Both of these luthiers “roots” go back to Bob Benedetto (John to Bob’s Florida shop where he was his apprentice for two years and Bill to Bob’s Pennsylvania shop where Bill built his first archtop under Bob’s supervision). I own multiple instruments by both. Both are masters and are great to work with...

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Coulda shoulda woulda.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Either John Buscarino (North Carolina) or Bill Comins (Pennsylvania) is who I would recommend that you contact given your goals. Both of these luthiers “roots” go back to Bob Benedetto (John to Bob’s Florida shop where he was his apprentice for two years and Bill to Bob’s Pennsylvania shop where Bill built his first archtop under Bob’s supervision). I own multiple instruments by both. Both are masters and are great to work with...
    I agree Bob . These are two fabulous luthiers. I’ve owned 2 Buscarino’s and currently still own a Comins Classic that is an outstanding guitar.

User Info Menu

My brother and I went to club in Toronto in the early 1990’s to see Bucky Pizzarelli. We weren’t aware of Bob Benedetto’s guitars before that night. We talked to Bucky on a break and had a closer look at his Benedetto (7 String). The very next day, I contacted Bob to inquire about ordering a guitar. I took some time to think about it, but while I was thinking about it, my brother ordered a Honey Blonde Limelight and a Natural 16” Fratello. When I decided to take the plunge, Bob was backed up about a year. Rather than wait, I bought a pre-owned 1989 Sunburst Fratello from Mandolin Bros. Mine was made when Bob was still in Clearwater FL. Here’s a picture of all three. We still have them. They are fantastic guitars. Mine is in the middle.
    Keith
    Benedetto plan B-d9118153-f95d-40a4-b1d9-9a6ad8be73b8-jpg

User Info Menu

Matt Cushman uses Benedetto build plans to build his guitars. They are very close like a Campellone is very close to a L5. Matt's prices are also extremely fair. He is very good with a chisel. His top and back carves and recurves are flawless. Really great guy too. Also a forum member here.

User Info Menu

Wyatt Wilkie is another luthier who spent time with Bob. He incorporates other influences as well, such as Gibson. His Atlas model definitely takes inspiration from the Super 400 for example.

Benedetto plan B-iu-jpeg

User Info Menu

I've had one of Matt's guitars since 2006 and it is my daily player. Never in its case unless I am taking it somewhere. Excellent neck and frets, wonderful tone. I assume his current production is even better. There is a completed one for sale on his website (or there was a few weeks ago).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson
    Wyatt Wilkie is another luthier who spent time with Bob. He incorporates other influences as well, such as Gibson. His Atlas model definitely takes inspiration from the Super 400 for example.

Benedetto plan B-iu-jpeg
    That's a beautiful instrument, and that discreet cutaway looks very good instead of the sharper Florentine ones. Really pleasing to the eye.